Are you sick and tired of being strong-armed to pay car insurance each month? You are in the same boat as many other Iowa drivers. Due to the large number of companies and agents to choose from, it is hard for the average consumer to pick the lowest price insurer.
What determines how much you pay?
Many things are part of the calculation when quoting car insurance. Most are fairly basic such as your driving history, although some other factors are more obscure such as your marital status and annual miles driven.
Listed below are a few of the things used by companies to determine your prices.
- Increase coverage deductibles and save – Physical damage insurance, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, insures against damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply would be colliding with a building, hitting a deer, and windstorm damage. The deductibles state the amount of money you are required to spend out-of-pocket if the claim is covered. The more damage repair cost the insured is willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Vehicles with better crash test results cost less to insure – Cars with five star safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce injuries and fewer injuries means lower claim amounts which can mean better rates for you. If your car scored better than an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website you are probably receiving a discount.
- Age of drivers impacts costs – Youthful drivers in Iowa are statistically proven to be careless and easily distracted when behind the wheel so they pay higher car insurance rates. More experienced drivers are more cautious drivers, tend to file fewer claims and are safer drivers.
- High performance vehicles cost more to insure – The performance of the car or truck you are insuring makes a huge difference in how high your rates are. The lowest performance passenger models normally have pretty low rates, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
The easiest way to compare car insurance company rates is to understand car insurance companies actually pay money for the chance to give you rate quotes. The only thing you need to do is provide a small amount of information such as if your license is active, your education level, if you’re married, and whether or not you need a SR-22. Your insurance information is then sent to multiple top-rated companies and they return quotes instantly to find the best rate.
To start a quote now, click here and complete the form.
Save $449 a year. For real?
Car insurance providers like Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm consistently run ads in print and on television. They all convey the message about how much you will save just by switching your policy. Is it even possible that every company can charge less that you’re paying now? It’s all in the wording.
Companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that earns them the highest profit. An example of a driver they prefer could be between 30 and 50, has a clear driving record, and drives newer vehicles. A propective insured who matches that profile receives the best auto insurance rates as well as save a lot if they switch.
People who do not meet these standards will have to pay a higher rate with the end result being the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads state “customers that switch” not “all people who quote” can save as much as they claim. That is how companies can make claims like that.
Different companies use different criteria so it is so important to compare quotes as often as possible. It is impossible to guess the company that will have the lowest rates.
Discounts to earn lower Glenwood car insurance rates
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you may find discounts that can help lower your rates. Some discounts will apply when you get a quote, but a few must be asked for in order for you to get them.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Factory air bags or motorized seat belts can receive discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- One Accident Forgiven – Not really a discount, but companies like Progressive and Allstate allow you one accident before they charge you more for coverage with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a specific time period.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and will save you 10% or more.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are much safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- 55 and Retired – Drivers over the age of 55 can get better car insurance rates.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Require your teen driver to sucessfully take a driver\s education course as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Telematics Data Discounts – People who choose to allow driving data submission to study driving patterns through the use of a telematics system like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive’s Snapshot could see a rate decrease if they show good driving skills.
Consumers should know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Despite the appearance that all the discounts add up to a free policy, you aren’t that lucky. But all discounts will definitely lower your premiums.
Larger car insurance companies and their offered discounts are included below.
- Esurance offers premium reductions for good driver, paid-in-full, DriveSense, homeowner, anti-lock brakes, Pac-12 alumni, and defensive driver.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for driver training, anti-theft, bundle, good student, vehicle fuel type, and defensive driver.
- AAA may have discounts that include good driver, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, multi-car, anti-theft, good student, and multi-policy.
- GEICO discounts include air bags, federal employee, multi-vehicle, military active duty, membership and employees, and good student.
- State Farm includes discounts for Steer Clear safe driver discount, safe vehicle, anti-theft, multiple autos, multiple policy, and Drive Safe & Save.
When quoting, ask each company which discounts they offer. A few discounts might not be offered in Glenwood. To view providers that have a full spectrum of discounts in Iowa, click here.
Car insurance agents near you
A lot of people would rather talk to an insurance agent and we recommend doing that One of the benefits of comparing insurance prices online is you may find lower rates but still work with a licensed agent. And buying from local agencies is still important in Glenwood.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your insurance data is sent to insurance agents in Glenwood that provide to get your business. You won’t need to contact any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered immediately to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you wish to compare prices from a specific car insurance provider, you just need to visit that company’s website and submit a quote form there.
If you would like to find a good insurance agency, it’s helpful to know the types of insurance agents that you can choose from. Car insurance agents in Glenwood are either independent (non-captive) or captive.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies do not work for one specific company and that enables them to quote your coverage with an assortment of companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply switch companies in-house and you won’t have to switch agencies. When shopping rates, it’s a good idea to contact multiple independent agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Glenwood who can help you get cheap rate quotes.
Hummel Insurance – 415 Sharp St – Glenwood, IA 51534 – (712) 527-3162
Gregg Aistrope Agency Inc – 105 S Locust St – Glenwood, IA 51534 – (712) 527-3189
Captive Car Insurance Agents
Agents of this type normally can only provide a single company’s rates and some examples include Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Captives are very knowledgeable on the products they sell which can be an advantage.
Shown below is a short list of captive insurance agencies in Glenwood that can give you price quote information.
State Farm Insurance – 10 N Locust St – Glenwood, IA 51534 – (712) 527-5480
Farm Bureau Insurance – 413 Sharp St – Glenwood, IA 51534 – (712) 527-3153
To choose from insurance agents near you, click for a directory of insurance agents in Glenwood, IA.
Finding the right insurance agency requires more thought than just a low price. These are valid questions to ask:
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
Much more information about car insurance in Iowa is located on the website for the Iowa Insurance Division found here. Iowa drivers can find out which companies have the most complaints, find a variety of consumer forms, download brochures, and read industry bulletins.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
In this article, we presented many tips how you can lower your car insurance auto insurance rates. It’s most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Consumers could even find that the biggest savings come from a small local company. Smaller companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
Cheaper car insurance can be sourced on the web and from local agencies, so get from both of them to get a complete price analysis. A few companies do not provide online price quotes and many times these smaller providers work with local independent agents.