Wish you could get out of high-priced car insurance? You’re preaching to the choir because there are lots of people in the same boat. People have many insurers to choose from, and even though it’s nice to have a selection, more choices can make it harder to find the best rates for your vehicles.
You should make it a habit to compare prices on a regular basis due to the fact that insurance prices are constantly changing. Even if you think you had the best deal on your last policy there is a good chance you can find better rates now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because I’m going to teach you how to use online quotes to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
These discounts can lower car insurance rates
Buying car insurance is not cheap, but there may be some discounts to reduce the price significantly. Some discounts apply automatically at the time of quoting, but lesser-known reductions have to be specifically requested in order for you to get them.
- Driver’s Education for Students – Have your child take driver’s ed class as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles with ABS braking systems or traction control prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Membership in Organizations – Being a member of a civic or occupational organization in Newton can get you a small discount on car insurance.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you will save up to 20% off your total premium.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Insuring multiple vehicles on a single policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time as opposed to paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
- Student Discounts – Maintaining excellent grades may save as much as 25% on a . The discount lasts up until you turn 25.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you aren’t that lucky.
Auto insurance companies who may offer most of the discounts above may include but are not limited to:
If you need lower rates, check with all companies you are considering which discounts can lower your rates. Some discounts might not be available to policyholders in Newton.
Smart consumers can cut their premiums
Many factors are part of the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Most are fairly basic like an MVR report, although others are less apparent such as your credit history or your financial responsibility.
The itemized list below are some of the factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set your rates.
- The type of vehicle you drive affects your rates – The performance of the vehicle you own makes a big difference in the rate you pay. Lower cost passenger models normally have pretty low rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
- Advanced alarm systems – Owning a car that has a built-in theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Theft deterrent systems like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all help stop your car from being stolen.
- Teen drivers pay high prices – Young drivers in New Jersey have been known to get distracted easily when driving therefore car insurance rates are much higher. If you’ve ever had to add a youthful driver onto your car insurance can be very expensive. More experienced drivers are viewed as being more responsible, cause fewer claims and accidents , and usually have better credit.
- Responsible credit saves on car insurance – Your credit rating can be an important factor in calculating your premium rate. Therefore, if your credit can be improved, you may save money insuring your vehicle by improving your credit score. Consumers who have excellent credit scores tend to file fewer claims than drivers who have lower credit scores.
- Don’t buy incidental coverages you don’t use – There are a lot of additional coverages that may not really be needed on your car insurance policy. Insurance for things like rental car reimbursement, towing, and membership fees are examples of these. These may sound like a good investment when buying your policy, but if they’re wasting money eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Guys pay higher prices – Over time, data shows that women are safer drivers than men. It does not mean men are WORSE drivers than women. Women and men cause fender benders at about the same rate, but the male of the species tend to have higher claims. Not only are claims higher, but men get higher numbers of serious violations such as DWI and reckless driving.
Do I need an insurance agent?
Some people just want to go talk to an agent and that can be a smart move Good insurance agents can answer important questions and give you someone to call. A good thing about getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get cheap car insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents in Newton who can give free rate quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to contact any agents as quotes are delivered directly to your email. If you have a need to quote rates for a specific company, you just need to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Finding a good insurance company requires you to look at more than just a low price. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Who are their largest clients?
- How experiences are they in personal risk management?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
Insurance agent types
When searching for a local agent, there are two types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Insurance agencies in Newton are categorized either independent agents or captive agents depending on their employer. Either can sell car insurance policies, but it is a good idea to know the difference in the companies they write for since it could factor into your agent selection.
Captive Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be captive can only write with one company and some examples include Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. These agents are well trained in insurance sales which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies do not have single company limitations and that is an advantage because they can write policies with many different companies depending on which coverage is best. If they quote lower rates, they can switch companies in-house and that require little work on your part. When comparing car insurance rates, you definitely need to include rate quotes from a few independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
The following are independent agents in Newton that can give you rate quotes.
Samuel E Mitchell and Son Agency – 45 Trinity St – Newton, NJ 07860 – (973) 383-5800
A N Lockwood Agency – 17 Main St – Newton, NJ 07860 – (973) 383-2421
Garrera Insurance – 28 Trinity St – Newton, NJ 07860 – (973) 383-2232
Woods Insurance – 12 Clinton St – Newton, NJ 07860 – (908) 475-1290
SEM Mitchell Agency – 45 Trinity St – Newton, NJ 07860 – (973) 383-9762
For more licensed insurance agents in Newton, see this full listing of Newton, NJ insurance agents.
More tips and info about car insurance is located at the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance website. Visitors are able to read consumer alerts, read industry bulletins, find a variety of consumer forms, and download brochures.
These articles may also be worth reading.
- New Strategies for Buying Newton, IA Car Insurance at a Discount
- How to Know Youre Throwing Money Away for Car Insurance in Newton
- Tightwads Guide for Saving on Newton Iowa Auto Insurance
You can find cheaper coverage
When trying to cut insurance costs, make sure you don’t buy poor coverage just to save money. There are many occasions where an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage and discovered at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest cost.
Cheap car insurance is available from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Newton, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best rate selection. There are still a few companies who do not provide online rate quotes and most of the time these regional carriers only sell through local independent agents.