Are you a victim of overpriced car insurance? You’re preaching to the choir because you’re not alone. Many car insurance companies vie for your hard-earned dollar, so it can be very hard to choose a company to find the cheapest price
Save money with these seven discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always publicize all their discounts very clearly, so the list below gives a summary of a few of the more common as well as some of the hidden ways to save on car insurance.
- Pay Early and Save – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of making monthly payments you may reduce your total bill.
- Good Driver Discounts – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can save up to 40% or more on their compared to accident prone drivers.
- No Accidents – Burlington drivers who stay claim-free are rewarded with significantly better rates on when compared to bad drivers.
- ABS Brakes – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with ABS or steering control have fewer accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Telematics Devices – People who choose to allow data collection to scrutinize when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device like Allstate’s Drivewise could see a rate decrease if their driving habits are good.
- Save with a New Car – Adding a new car to your policy can cost up to 25% less because newer vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Distant Student Discount – Children who live away from home to go to college and do not take a car to college may qualify for this discount.
As a footnote on discounts, most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Most cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So even though they make it sound like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn’t work that way.
The best car insurance companies and a selection of discounts are outlined below.
- Farm Bureau has discounts for good student, 55 and retired, youthful driver, multi-vehicle, and safe driver.
- Liberty Mutual may have discounts that include safety features, new move discount, multi-car, new graduate, and preferred payment discount.
- State Farm may offer discounts for Steer Clear safe driver discount, anti-theft, passive restraint, good driver, and good student.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may include discounts for anti-lock brakes, student away at school, paid in full, teen driver, group or association, and anti-theft.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for seat belt use, good student, multi-policy, defensive driver, emergency military deployment, and federal employee.
- SAFECO discounts include homeowner, drive less, safe driver, teen safe driver, and anti-lock brakes.
When quoting, ask each insurance company how you can save money. A few discounts might not be offered on policies in Burlington. To locate insurance companies that offer discounts in Burlington, follow this link.
Car insurance can be complex
When it comes to buying coverage, there really is not a “perfect” insurance plan. Each situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. For instance, these questions may help highlight if you would benefit from professional advice.
- Who is covered by my policy?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in Colorado?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- What is the minimum liability in Colorado?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- When should I not file a claim?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Car insurance is available from your local insurance agencies
Some consumers prefer to have an agent’s advice and that is a smart decision An additional benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that you can find lower rates and still have a local agent. Buying insurance from neighborhood insurance agencies is important especially in Burlington.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, your coverage information is instantly submitted to companies in Burlington that provide and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no reason to search for an agent because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. Get lower rates AND an agent nearby. If you need to get a rate quote for a specific company, you can always navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
If you need to find an insurance agent, there are two different types of agencies and how they operate. Car insurance agents can be categorized as either captive or independent (non-captive).
Independent Car Insurance Agents
These type of agents do not have single company limitations and that enables them to quote your coverage amongst many companies and find you cheaper rates. If they find a cheaper price, they simply move the coverage in-house and you don’t have to find a new agent.
If you are comparing rate quotes, we highly recommend that you get quotes from multiple independent agents to maximize your price options.
Listed below are independent agents in Burlington who may be able to give you cheap rate quotes.
Haines Agency – 46281 Us Highway 24 – Burlington, CO 80807 – (719) 346-7160
Colorado Federal Insurance – 2450 Rose Ave – Burlington, CO 80807 – (719) 346-9320
Norman Travis Insurance – 492 8th St – Burlington, CO 80807 – (719) 346-8803
Colorado Federal Agency Inc – P.O. BOX 37 – Burlington, CO 80807 – (719) 346-9320
Jeanne Burney Agency – 1452 Martin Ave – Burlington, CO 80807 – (719) 346-8486
Captive Car Insurance Agents
Agents of this type generally can only insure with one company like Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They are unable to compare other company’s rates so always compare other rates. Captive agencies are trained well on sales techniques which aids in selling service over price.
Below are Burlington captive agencies who can help you get comparison quotes.
Farm Bureau Insurance – 1315 Webster Ave – Burlington, CO 80807 – (719) 346-8177
To locate insurance agencies near you, here is a complete selection of Burlington Colorado car insurance agencies.
Finding a good insurance agency requires more thought than just a cheap price quote. These questions are important to ask:
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance?
- Does the company have a local claim office in Burlington?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- How many years have they been established?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
Car insurance policy specifics
Understanding the coverages of car insurance can be of help when determining the right coverages for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. Below you’ll find the usual coverages available from car insurance companies.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as rock chips in glass, falling objects, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, hitting a bird and damage from flooding. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Collision insurance pays for damage to your vehicle caused by collision with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers claims like rolling your car, backing into a parked car, sideswiping another vehicle, driving through your garage door and hitting a parking meter. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are older. You can also raise the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Liability auto insurance
Liability coverage can cover injuries or damage you cause to a person or their property that is your fault. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show limits of 50/100/50 which stand for $50,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a limit of $100,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $50,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Another option is a combined limit that pays claims from the same limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage pays for claims like attorney fees, funeral expenses and repair costs for stationary objects. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford. Colorado state law requires minimum liability limits of 25,000/50,000/15,000 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
Medical costs insurance
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for short-term medical expenses for things like dental work, surgery, hospital visits, pain medications and prosthetic devices. The coverages can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover you and your occupants as well as getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
This gives you protection from other drivers when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your vehicle.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (which is 25/50/15), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked. Usually your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
More Colorado car insurance resources
More information is located on the found here. Colorado drivers can get help finding coverage, find disaster information, discover disciplinary actions, and read state legal mandates and laws.
These articles may also be worth reading.
- Paying Too Much for Car Insurance in Burlington? Heres How to Save!
- Methods for Saving Money on Burlington Vermont Auto Insurance Rates
One last thing to lower rates
We just covered a lot of tips how to save on car insurance. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the lowest prices come from a smaller regional carrier. Regional companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than their larger competitors like Progressive or GEICO.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, don’t be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. There are too many instances where an insured cut full coverage and discovered at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your focus should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest price.