Car owners who just recently started buying auto insurance online might discover locating can be quite challenging.
When shopping for , there are a couple of ways to compare quotes from all the different companies. By far the easiest way to find competitive insurance rates is to perform an online rate comparison. This is very easy and can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
The most efficient way consumers can analyze rates is to use a rate comparison form (click to open form in new window). This style of form keeps you from doing separate quote forms for each company you want a rate for. Filling out one form will get you price quotes from multiple companies. Just one form and you’re done.
A more difficult way to obtain and compare quotes online requires you to visit the website for every company you want to comare and fill out a new quote form. For examples sake, let’s say you want to see prices from Nationwide, Liberty Mutual and Allstate. To do that, you would have to take the time to go to each site to input your insurance information, which is why first method is reommended. For a list of companies in Stoughton, click here.
The old school method to compare rates is to spend your day driving to and from local Stoughton insurance agencies. Comparing rates online has made agencies unnecessary unless you want the professional abilities only provided by licensed Stoughton agents. Drivers can price shop your coverage online but purchase the actual policy in an agency.
The method you choose is up to you, but ensure you are comparing equivalent coverage information for each quote you get. If the quotes have different deductibles it’s not possible to make a fair rate comparison in Stoughton. Just a small difference in coverages can result in a big premium difference. Just remember that comparing more company’s prices will increase your chances of finding lower pricing. Not every company allows you to get online quotes, so you should also compare rates on coverage from those companies, too.
Cheaper Wisconsin auto insurance quotes with discounts
Auto insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at quote time, but once in a while a discount must be specifically requested before you will receive the discount.
- Student Driver Training – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers sucessfully take a driver\s education course as it can save substantially.
- Paperwork-free – A few auto insurance companies will provide an incentive for signing up digitally online.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars with ABS braking systems or traction control can stop better under adverse conditions so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Insureds without accidents can save as much as half off their rates compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Full Payment Discount – By paying your policy upfront as opposed to paying monthly you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Federal Government Employee – Being employed by or retired from a federal job may qualify for a discount when you depending on your auto insurance provider.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you can bundle your home and auto insurance with one insurance company you may earn 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a family member in the military could trigger a small discount.
Remember that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates you can get free auto insurance, you’re out of luck.
To choose companies who offer online auto insurance quotes in Stoughton, follow this link.
Local Stoughton auto insurance agents
Many people just want to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is just fine! An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is you can get cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent. Buying insurance from neighborhood insurance agencies is especially important in Stoughton.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your information is immediately sent to local insurance agents that can give you and help you find cheaper coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to drive around since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. You can most likely find cheaper rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you have a need to compare rates for a specific company, just visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
Do you need an independent or captive auto insurance agent?
If you want a reputable agency, it helps to know the two types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Stoughton agents are categorized either captive or independent.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agencies are not employed by one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies amongst many companies and potentially find a lower price. If your premiums go up, they simply move your policy to a different company which requires no work on your part. When comparing auto insurance prices, you need to include price quotes from at least one independent agent for the best price selection. Most also have access to additional companies that you may not be familiar with that may provide cheaper auto insurance rates.
Listed below are independent agents in Stoughton that can possibly get you comparison quotes.
- Ruth Ann Murphy Insurance – 374 E Main St – Stoughton, WI 53589 – (608) 873-5654
- R and S Insurance – 1520 Vernon St – Stoughton, WI 53589 – (608) 873-9258
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive insurance agents work for only one company and examples are AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. Captive agencies are unable to place coverage with different providers so they really need to provide good service. Captive agents are well trained on sales techniques which aids in selling service over price. Some insured continue to buy from the same agent for years primarily because of high brand loyalty instead of buying on price only.
Deciding on an auto insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- How often do they review coverages?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
When in doubt talk to an agent
When buying adequate coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a perfect coverage plan. Every situation is different.
These are some specific questions might point out whether you may require specific advice.
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
How insurance providers determine costs
Lots of things are used when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving record, but others are more transparent such as your marital status or your vehicle rating. Smart consumers have a good feel for a few of the rating criteria that aid in calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you have some idea of what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that could help you find lower auto insurance prices.
The factors shown below are some of the major factors companies use to determine your premiums.
- Prices for men may be higher – Statistics have proven that women are safer drivers than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that men are WORSE drivers than women. Women and men get in accidents at about the same rate, but the men tend to have higher claims. Not only that, but men also get cited for more serious violations such as reckless driving.
- Your occupation may affect premiums – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Careers such as doctorsair traffic controllers and financial analysts have the highest average rates in part from intense work requirements and lots of time spent at work. Other careers such as actors, athletes and performers have lower than average premiums.
- Bad credit hurts insurance rates – A driver’s credit history is a big factor in your rate calculation. Drivers who have excellent credit tend to be more responsible than those with bad credit. If your credit can use some improvement, you could be paying less to insure your vehicle if you improve your credit rating.
- Cheaper rates with safer cars – Cars with high safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. The safest vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries translates directly to fewer claims and cheaper rates on your policy. If your car earned at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website you may qualify for a discount.
Well known brands might not be cheapest
Respected companies like State Farm and Allstate constantly bombard you with television, radio, and online ads. They all state the claim that people will save if you move your coverage to them. How does each company charge you less for car insurance? It’s all in the words they use.
Most companies quote their cheapest rates for the type of driver that will add to their bottom line. For example, a desirable risk might have to be over the age of 45, owns a home, and drives a vehicle with a low ISO rating. A driver who fits those characteristics will qualify for the lowest rates in Stoughton and most likely will pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Drivers who don’t meet these criteria may be required to pay higher premium rates and this results in business not being written. The ads say “drivers that switch” not “everyone who quotes” will save that much if they switch. That’s why companies can make those statements.
That is why drivers must compare as many as you can. Because you never know which auto insurance company will fit your personal profile best.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
People leave their current company for many reasons like denial of a claim, unfair underwriting practices, high rates after DUI convictions or being labeled a high risk driver. Whatever your reason, switching auto insurance companies can be less work than you think.
When you , you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many cases, an insured cut physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost.
We’ve covered some good ideas how to get a better price on auto insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the most savings is with a small mutual company.
Informative consumer insurance sites
Additional auto insurance information can be read on the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance website found here. Wisconsin consumers can view a list of available companies, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, find out which companies have the most complaints, and read industry bulletins.