Do you get overwhelmed by the wide range of auto insurance sources in Michigan City? There are so many sources to choose from that it can really be a lot of work to find a more affordable company. Michigan City is an excellent city in which to live, but expensive auto insurance rates can make it difficult for lots of drivers to affordably buy enough coverage.
Discounts to earn lower Michigan City auto insurance rates
Companies offering auto insurance don’t necessarily list every possible discount in a way that’s easy to find, so we break down some of the best known as well as some of the hidden credits that may apply to you.
- Waiver for an Accident – Not really a discount, but some insurance companies will forgive one accident without getting socked with a rate hike if your claims history is clear for a specific time period.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Insuring more than one vehicle on one policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Paperwork-free – A handful of larger companies provide a small discount for buying your policy online.
- Mature Driver Discount – Mature drivers may receive a small discount on rates.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking a class that teaches defensive driver techniques can save you 5% or more and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Insurance companies who offer life insurance give a lower rate if you buy life insurance.
- No Claim Discounts – Michigan City drivers who stay claim-free can save substantially when compared to drivers who are more careless.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Even though it appears you could get a free auto insurance policy, that’s just not realistic.
A list of auto insurance companies and the discounts they provide include:
- State Farm may offer discounts for multiple policy, student away at school, driver’s education, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and good driver.
- Progressive discounts include online quote discount, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, continuous coverage, homeowner, and good student.
- Progressive offers discounts including continuous coverage, multi-policy, homeowner, online signing, online quote discount, and good student.
- MetLife may include discounts for multi-policy, defensive driver, good student, accident-free, and good driver.
- Farm Bureau may have discounts that include renewal discount, safe driver, 55 and retired, multi-policy, good student, driver training, and youthful driver.
- GEICO includes discounts for federal employee, five-year accident-free, seat belt use, membership and employees, multi-policy, and driver training.
- SAFECO policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, homeowner, safe driver, bundle discounts, and teen safe driver.
Check with every insurance company how you can save money. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be available to policyholders everywhere.
Auto insurance can get complicated
When it comes to buying adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For example, these questions can help discover if you may require specific advice.
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in Indiana?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in Indiana?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
Buying auto insurance from Michigan City insurance agents
Many drivers would prefer to talk to a local agent and we recommend doing that An additional benefit of comparing auto insurance online is you may find better rates and still buy from a local agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, your coverage information is sent to local insurance agents in Michigan City who will give you bids for your coverage. There is no reason to contact any agents as quotes are delivered to your email. You can find the lowest rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you have a need to compare prices from a specific insurance company, just go to their quote page and submit a quote form there.
Selecting a insurer needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Any agent should be willing to answer these questions.
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- Is there a local claims center in Michigan City?
- Are they in the agency full-time?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
If you need to find a reliable insurance agent, you need to know there are two different agency structures and how they operate. Agents can either be independent or captive depending on the company they work for.
Agents that choose to be captive can usually just insure with one company and some examples include Allstate and State Farm. Captive agencies are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they have to upsell other benefits. Captive insurance agents receive a lot of sales training in insurance sales which aids in selling service over price. Some people will only choose to use a captive agent mostly because of the brand rather than low price.
Shown below is a list of captive agencies in Michigan City who can help you get price quotes.
- Allstate Insurance – 116 W 10th St – Michigan City, IN 46360 – (219) 878-1878
- State Farm Insurance – 1902 E Us Highway 20 – Michigan City, IN 46360 – (219) 874-4256
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 5416 N Johnson Rd – Michigan City, IN 46360 – (219) 872-0607
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can quote rates with many companies so as a result can place your coverage through many different auto insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can just switch to a different company and that require little work on your part.
When comparing auto insurance rates, we highly recommend that you include independent agents to maximize your price options. A lot of them also have access to lesser-known insurance companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Below is a list of independent agencies in Michigan City that can give you price quote information.
- Geyer Insurance Svc – 203 Southwood Dr – Michigan City, IN 46360 – (219) 874-2231
- Crowel Agency Inc – 170 Dunes Plz – Michigan City, IN 46360 – (219) 874-3800
- Dolson Insurance – 450 Saint John Rd # 246 – Michigan City, IN 46360 – (219) 879-4524
To choose from more insurance agents in Michigan City, link to this list of insurance agents in Michigan City, IN.
Additional Indiana car insurance resources
Even more information can be found at the Indiana Department of Insurance website. Indiana drivers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, find out which companies have the most complaints, and view agent and company licensing information.
Lower rates by being persistent
We just presented a lot of techniques to save on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even find the lowest rates are with an unexpected company.
People leave their current company for many reasons like unfair underwriting practices, delays in responding to claim requests, high rates after DUI convictions or even an unsatisfactory settlement offer. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new auto insurance company is actually quite simple.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced collision coverage and found out when filing a claim they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The proper strategy is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost, not the least amount of coverage.