Shopping online for Evansville car insurance can be difficult if you have never used online price comparisons. But don’t be discouraged because it’s actually quite easy.
It is always a good idea to check car insurance prices on a regular basis since rates are variable and change quite frequently. Even if you got the lowest rates six months ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. There is too much inaccurate information about car insurance on the internet, so we’re going to give you some great ideas on how to quit paying high car insurance rates.
Car Insurance Prices in Evansville, Indiana
Comparing car insurance rates can take time and effort if you don’t understand the best way to get rate quotes. You can waste a lot of time talking to local insurance agents in Evansville, or you could use the internet to get rates in a matter of minutes.
All the larger companies participate in a marketplace where insurance shoppers only type in their quote data once, and at least one company provides a quote for coverage. This eliminates the need for quotation requests to each individual car insurance company.
To enter your information into the quoting system, click here to start a free quote.
The only downside to doing it this way is you are unable to specify which carriers to receive prices from. So if you prefer to choose specific insurance companies to compare prices, we have assembled a list of the cheapest car insurance companies in Indiana. View list of Indiana insurance companies.
However you get your quotes, compare identical information on every quote. If you use different values for each quote it’s impossible to make a fair comparison in Evansville. Quoting even small variations in limits can make a big difference in price. Just remember that more quotes helps locate better pricing.
Cut your car insurance rates with discounts
Companies don’t always advertise all available discounts very clearly, so we break down some of the more common as well as the least known savings tricks you should be using.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Clubs and Organizations – Belonging to a professional or civic organization is a good way to get lower rates on your policy.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying coverage for more than one vehicle with the same company qualifies for this discount.
- Accident Forgiveness – Certain companies permit an accident without raising rates if your claims history is clear for a set time period.
- Government Employees – Active or retired federal employment can save as much as 8% depending on your company.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a new car can cost up to 25% less since new cars are generally safer.
- 55 and Retired – Older drivers may be able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Early Signing – Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching to them prior to your current policy expiring. This can save 10% or more.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
Drivers should understand that most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won’t be that lucky.
For a list of companies with the best car insurance discounts in Evansville, click this link.
Why your price might be higher
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that come into play when calculating the price you pay for car insurance. Knowing what controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that could result in lower car insurance prices.
- Liability coverage protects you – The liability section of your policy will protect you in the event that you are found liable for damages caused by your negligence. Liability provides legal defense coverage which can be incredibly expensive. Liability is cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
- Being married can save on car insurance – Being married can actually save you money on your car insurance policy. It usually means you are more mature and it’s statistically proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- Safe vehicles cost less to insure – Vehicles with good safety scores are cheaper to insure. The safest vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries means less money paid by your insurance company and thus lower rates.
- Extra add-on coverages are wasting money – There are quite a few extra coverages that you can buy on your car insurance policy. Coverages like vanishing deductibles, towing coverage and membership fees are examples of these. These coverages may sound good at first, but your needs may have changed so get rid of them and save.
- Please use or commuting – The more you drive in a year the higher your rates will be. Most companies charge to insure your cars based upon how you use the vehicle. Autos left parked in the garage can get a lower rate compared to those used for work or business. Make sure your car insurance policy is showing the correct driver usage, because it can save money.
The fine print in car insurance ads
Car insurance companies such as 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm constantly bombard you with television and radio advertisements. They all seem to say the same thing of big savings if you switch your policy. How do they all claim to save you money?
Insurance companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that is profitable for them. An example of a preferred risk might be over the age of 50, owns a home, and drives newer vehicles. A customer getting a price quote who meets those qualifications will get very good rates and is almost guaranteed to save quite a bit of money when switching.
Potential customers who are not a match for these standards must pay a higher premium which leads to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ad wording is “drivers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that kind of money. This is how companies can make those claims. This illustrates why it is so important to get as many comparisons as possible. It’s just too difficult to predict the company that will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Keep this in mind
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice full coverage only to regret at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The proper strategy is to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Cheaper car insurance can be bought on the web as well as from independent agents in Evansville, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. Some car insurance companies don’t offer online price quotes and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
You just read a lot of information how to save on car insurance. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even discover the lowest premiums are with a small mutual company.
Informative consumer insurance sites
More detailed Indiana car insurance information is available at the Indiana Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to report car insurance fraud, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, find a variety of consumer forms, and find disaster information.