Are you overwhelmed by the crazy number of car insurance company choices in Frederica? You have a lot of company. Drivers have so many companies to choose from that it can quickly become a real challenge to find the perfect company for you.
You need to take a look at other company’s rates every six months because prices are variable and change quite frequently. If you had the lowest price last year there is a good chance you can find better rates now. So just block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re going to get a crash course in how to use the internet to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Compare Quotes for Frederica Car Insurance
Getting a cheaper price on insurance is not a difficult process. You just have to take a couple of minutes to compare quotes from different insurance companies. This can be accomplished in a couple of different ways.
- The first (and easiest) way to get the best comparison quotes would be an industry-wide quote request form click here to open form in new window. This form saves time by eliminating boring form submissions for each company you want a rate for. Taking the time to complete one form gets you price quotes direct from many companies. Recommended for those who want to invest the least amount of time.
- A less efficient way to compare rate quotes is spending the time to visit the website for every company you want to comare and request a quote. For examples sake, we’ll pretend you want comparison quotes from Farmers, State Farm and Liberty Mutual. To get each rate you have to spend time on each company’s site to input your insurance information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Frederica, click here.
- The least efficient way of getting rate comparisons to different Frederica agent offices. The ability to buy insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you have a need for the personal advice that only a license agent can provide. You can, however, compare the best prices online but buy from a local insurance agent.
It’s up to you which method you use, but make darn sure you compare the exact same coverages with each company. If you are comparing differing limits you will not be able to make an equal comparison in Frederica.
Cut your car insurance rates with these ten discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always publicize every discount in an easy-to-find place, so we researched some of the more common and also the lesser-known ways to save on car insurance. If they aren’t giving you every credit you qualify for, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Distant Student – Children who live away from home and do not have a car can receive lower rates.
- Employee of Federal Government – Simply working for the federal government can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
- Homeowners Discount – Owning a home in Frederica can help you save on car insurance because owning a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Save with a New Car – Putting insurance coverage on a new car can save up to 30% compared to insuring an older model.
- Safety Course Discount – Successfully completing a defensive driving course could possibly earn you a 5% discount if your company offers it.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Having multiple cars or trucks on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Payment Method – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
- One Accident Forgiven – A few companies will forgive one accident without raising rates if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Organization Discounts – Being a member of certain professional organizations may earn a discount when shopping for car insurance.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you will save up to 20% off your total premium.
Consumers should know that many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like adding up those discounts means a free policy, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To see a list of insurance companies with discount car insurance rates in Delaware, click here.
But I prefer to buy car insurance from an agent
A small number of people prefer to talk to a local agent and that is OK! Insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and help you file claims. The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is that you can obtain better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, your coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Frederica who will compete to get your business. You never need to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go to the email address you provide.
Choosing a company shouldn’t rely on just the price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- How long has their agency been open in Frederica?
- How are claims handled?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
Compare rates from both independent and captive car insurance agents
When searching for a local agent, there are two types of insurance agents from which to choose. Insurance agencies in Frederica are classified as either independent (non-captive) or captive. Either one can insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn how they differ since it may influence your selection of an agent.
These agents can only place business with one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Captives cannot provide prices from multiple companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Consumers frequently buy insurance from these agents primarily because of the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents are not required to write business for one company but rather can write business amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. To move your coverage to a new company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When comparison shopping, it’s a good idea to include price quotes from several independent insurance agents for the best price selection.Many can place coverage with different regional companies which can save you money.
Shown below are Frederica independent insurance agents that are able to give price quote information.
- Wootten and Ryder Insurance Inc – 11 Market St – Frederica, DE 19946 – (302) 335-5148
To view a complete directory of Frederica insurance agents, simply jump to this page.
After getting reasonable responses for all questions you ask and an acceptable price quote, you’ve probably found a car insurance agent that will service your policy. But keep in mind you can always cancel a policy for any reason so never assume that you’re stuck with your new company for the full term.
Is there truth in advertising?
Delaware consumers get pounded daily by advertisements for the lowest price auto insurance by State Farm and Allstate. They all seem to make an identical promise that you’ll save big after switching to their company.
How do they all make almost identical claims?
Insurance companies have a certain “appetite” for the type of driver that earns them a profit. For instance, a desirable insured could be between the ages of 40 and 55, is a homeowner, and has a high credit rating. A customer that hits that “sweet spot” is entitled to the best price and most likely will pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Potential insureds who don’t measure up to the requirements will be charged higher premiums and ends up with business going elsewhere. The ads state “drivers who switch” not “people who quote” save that kind of money. That’s why companies can advertise the way they do. That is why drivers should quote coverage with many companies. It’s impossible to know the company that will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Car insurance coverages
Knowing the specifics of your policy helps when choosing the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Comprehensive insurance covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims such as rock chips in glass, fire damage, a broken windshield and damage from flooding. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Medical expense coverage
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for short-term medical expenses for things like rehabilitation expenses, hospital visits, nursing services and dental work. They are often utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover you and your occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
This coverage will cover damages or injuries you inflict on people or other property by causing an accident. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show values of 50/100/50 which means $50,000 bodily injury coverage, a total of $100,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $50,000 of coverage for damaged propery.
Liability coverage pays for things such as pain and suffering, loss of income, structural damage, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and bail bonds. How much coverage you buy is your choice, but you should buy as much as you can afford. Delaware requires drivers to carry at least 15,000/30,000/10,000 but you should think about purchasing more coverage.
Coverage for collisions
This will pay to fix damage to your vehicle from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage pays for claims like backing into a parked car, sustaining damage from a pot hole, sideswiping another vehicle, crashing into a ditch and rolling your car. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to raise the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and also any damage incurred to your vehicle.
Since a lot of drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (which is 15/30/10), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important.
Better coverage you can count on
You just learned some good ideas how you can shop for car insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your comparison will be. You may be surprised to find that the lowest rates come from a lesser-known regional company.
Insureds who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as policy non-renewal, policy cancellation, questionable increases in premium and even denial of a claim. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new car insurance company is actually quite simple.
While you’re price shopping online, make sure you don’t reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, an accident victim reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
Even more information is available at the Delaware Department of Insurance website. Consumers can get help finding coverage, view agent and company licensing information, and download brochures.