Do you think you bought overpriced auto insurance? Don’t feel bad because there are lots of Pleasant Hill residents who feel the same. Multiple auto insurance companies compete for your insurance dollar, so it’s not easy to compare every insurer and get the definite lowest price
The most recommended method to compare car insurance rates is to understand most insurance companies participate in a system to compare their rates. The one thing you need to do is give the companies some data like coverage limits, the year, make and model of vehicles, what your job is, and how much you drive. That information is then submitted to many different companies and you get price estimates very quickly.
To check car insurance prices now, click here and find out if lower rates are available.
Get lower rates by taking advantage of discounts
Car insurance companies don’t always list every discount very well, so the next list breaks down some of the best known and also the lesser-known auto insurance savings.
- Theft Deterent System – Cars equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Federal Government Employee – Employees or retirees of the government could cut as much as 10% off with a few auto insurance companies.
- No Claims – Pleasant Hill drivers who stay claim-free can earn big discounts in comparison to policyholders that have many claims.
- Mature Driver Discount – Older drivers are able to get better auto insurance rates.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you may reduce your total bill.
- Data Collection Discounts – People who choose to allow their auto insurance company to track driving patterns by using a telematic data system such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system could save a few bucks as long as the data is positive.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Insuring a new car may earn a small discount because newer models are generally safer.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying a policy with all your vehicles on the same auto insurance policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a family member in the military may lower your auto insurance rates slightly.
- One Accident Forgiven – This isn’t a discount exactly, but certain companies will turn a blind eye to one accident before they charge you more for coverage as long as you don’t have any claims for a specific time period.
Just know that some credits don’t apply the the whole policy. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So even though it sounds like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it doesn’t quite work that way. Any qualifying discounts will positively reduce your overall premium however.
Companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts include:
- GEICO offers premium reductions for multi-policy, good student, multi-vehicle, air bags, membership and employees, daytime running lights, and anti-lock brakes.
- MetLife offers discounts for defensive driver, good driver, claim-free, accident-free, and multi-policy.
- Progressive has discounts for homeowner, good student, continuous coverage, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, and online signing.
- Travelers may have discounts that include home ownership, IntelliDrive, good student, multi-car, payment discounts, hybrid/electric vehicle, and new car.
- SAFECO offers discounts including teen safety rewards, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, drive less, bundle discounts, and multi-car.
- AAA includes discounts for good student, AAA membership discount, multi-policy, pay-in-full, education and occupation, multi-car, and anti-theft.
Before buying, ask every company which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts might not be offered on policies everywhere. To view companies that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Iowa, click this link.
Four things that influence your prices
Part of the auto insurance buying process is learning some of the elements that aid in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. If you know what determines premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that could result in big savings.
The itemized list below are a few of the “ingredients” that factor into prices.
- Safer vehicles can affect premiums – Purchasing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can earn a premium discount. Anti-theft features such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all aid in stopping your car from being stolen.
- Costs impacted by vehicle usage – The more miles you rack up on your car annually the higher your rates will be. A lot of insurance companies calculate rates partially by how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks that are left in the garage can get a lower rate as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Make sure your vehicle rating shows the correct usage.
- Urban areas may pay more – Being located in less populated areas of the country can be a good thing if you are looking for the lowest rates. Fewer drivers on the road means less chance of accidents and a lower car theft rate. City drivers regularly have more road rage incidents and more severe claims. The longer drive time means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Insurance premiums and vehicle performance – The type of vehicle you own makes a significant difference in your rates. The lowest performance passenger vehicles generally receive the lowest base rates, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
When should I talk to an agent?
Many drivers just prefer to get advice from a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Good insurance agents can answer important questions and help file insurance claims. A nice benefit of getting online price quotes is you can get cheap auto insurance quotes and still have an agent to talk to. Buying insurance from local agencies is important especially in Pleasant Hill.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents in Pleasant Hill who will give you quotes for your coverage. You won’t even need to do any legwork because quoted prices will be sent to you. If you need to compare prices from a specific company, you just need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Choose the right car insurance agent
When looking for a good Pleasant Hill insurance agent, it helps to know the two different types of agencies that you can choose from. Auto insurance agencies are either independent agents or captive agents depending on their employer. Both can do a good job, but we need to point out the subtle differences since it may influence which agent you choose.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents of this type do not write with just one company so as a result can place your coverage through many different auto insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If they find a lower price, your agent can switch companies and you don’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing rates, it’s recommended you get rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the most accurate price comparison.
Featured below is a partial list of independent insurance agencies in Pleasant Hill that may be able to give competitive price quotes.
Moore Insurance – 1710 Andrews Dr – Pleasant Hill, IA 50327 – (515) 262-5724
Turnquist Insurance – 6185 NE Rising Sun Dr – Pleasant Hill, IA 50327 – (515) 262-9544
Agents of this type can only quote rates from one company such as Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. They usually cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Captive agencies are trained well on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below is a short list of captive agencies in Pleasant Hill who can help you get comparison quotes.
American Family Insurance – 1100 N Hickory Blvd # 202 – Pleasant Hill, IA 50327 – (515) 263-7054
To view agents near you, please visit this full listing of insurance agents in Pleasant Hill.
Picking a auto insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap price quote. Any agent should be willing to answer these questions.
- Who are their largest clients?
- Are they full-time agents?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Iowa?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage?
- How long has the business existed?
Upon receiving reasonable responses to any questions you may have as well as offering an affordable quote, most likely you have located an auto insurance agent that meets your needs to service your policy.
Additional information can be read on the found here. Iowa drivers can find out which companies have the most complaints, get help finding coverage, and report car insurance fraud.
Can switching companies really save?
Iowa consumers can’t ignore all the ads that promise big savings by Allstate and Progressive. They all make the same claim that you can save after switching your auto insurance coverage to their company.
But how can every company have lower policy pricing? This is the trick they use.
All the different companies have specific characteristics for the type of customer that will be a good risk. A good example of a preferred risk might be described as between the ages of 30 and 50, owns a home, and has great credit. A customer who fits that profile will get a cheap rate quote and will probably save when they switch companies.
Drivers who don’t measure up to these standards may receive higher rates with the end result being the driver buying from a lower-cost company. If you listen to the ad wording, they say “customers that switch” but not “all drivers who get quotes” will save that much if they switch. That is how insurance companies can confidently advertise the savings.
Because each company has a different risk profile, you should compare many company’s prices. Because without a comparison, you cannot know which auto insurance company will be your best fit.
In the end, you save
Lower-priced auto insurance can be found online in addition to local insurance agencies, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers do not provide internet price quotes and most of the time these regional insurance providers prefer to sell through local independent agencies.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s not a good idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. Too many times, an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits only to discover later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your objective should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate, but do not skimp to save money.
In this article, we covered some good ideas how to shop for auto insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers could even find that the best premium rates are with a small local company. Smaller companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than their larger competitors like State Farm and Allstate.