No one in their right mind enjoys paying for auto insurance, particularly when their premiums are through the roof.
Many car insurance companies vie for your insurance dollar, so it’s not easy to compare every insurance company to find the lowest cost out there.
If you currently have car insurance, you will be able to reduce your rates substantially using this information. Finding affordable coverage in West Jordan is easy if you know what you’re doing. But Utah vehicle owners need to learn how insurance companies sell insurance online and apply this information to your search.
Auto Insurance Comparison Rates in West Jordan, Utah
When shopping for auto insurance there are multiple ways to compare rate quotes and find the best price. The quickest method to find the cheapest insurance rates involves getting comparison quotes online. This is very easy and can be done in several different ways.
- Probably the best way to get the best comparison quotes would be an industry-wide quote request form click here to open form in new window. This method eliminates the need for separate forms for each company. One simple form gets rate comparisons from auto insurance companies with the best prices.
- Another way to shop for auto insurance online requires a visit to each company website and fill out their own quote form. For examples sake, let’s assume you want comparison quotes from GEICO, Farmers and American Family. To get rate quotes you would need to take the time to go to each site and enter your information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
For a list of links to insurance companies in West Jordan, click here.
However you get your quotes, make darn sure you compare identical coverage limits and deductibles with each company. If you enter mixed coverages it will be very difficult to determine the lowest rate in West Jordan. Slightly different limits can result in a big premium difference. Just remember that comparing a large number of companies gives you a better chance of getting better pricing.
Save big with these ten discounts
Car insurance companies don’t list all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so here is a list both well-publicized and also the lesser-known ways to save on auto insurance.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in a qualifying organization could trigger savings when shopping for auto insurance.
- Federal Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job could cut as much as 10% off with a few auto insurance companies.
- Seat Belt Usage – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could cut 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems help deter theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Senior Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you may qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Life Insurance Discount – Larger companies have better rates if you take out life insurance.
- Homeowners Discount – Simply owning a home can help you save on auto insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags or automatic seat belts can qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Low Mileage – Fewer annual miles can qualify you for better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Driver’s Ed – Cut your cost by having your teen driver complete a driver education course in school.
It’s important to note that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when the math indicates having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you’re out of luck.
For a list of insurers with the best auto insurance discounts in Utah, follow this link.
But I don’t know anything about car insurance
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Each situation is unique so your insurance needs to address that. For example, these questions could help you determine whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving my company car?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you may need to chat with an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
Even more information is available at the Utah Insurance Department website. Consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, report car insurance fraud, and learn about insurance regulations.
Learn about auto insurance coverages
Knowing the specifics of your auto insurance policy helps when choosing which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. These are typical coverages offered by auto insurance companies.
Auto collision coverage
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision can pay for things such as driving through your garage door, colliding with another moving vehicle and rolling your car. This coverage can be expensive, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for bills such as dental work, chiropractic care, doctor visits, rehabilitation expenses and surgery. They can be utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states and may carry a deductible
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your vehicle.
Due to the fact that many Utah drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (which is 25/65/15), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Liability car insurance
Liability insurance protects you from damage or injury you incur to a person or their property in an accident. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show limits of 100/300/100 which stand for a limit of $100,000 per injured person, $300,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $100,000.
Liability coverage protects against claims like medical expenses, bail bonds, funeral expenses and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but you should buy as large an amount as possible. Utah state law requires minimum liability limits of 25,000/65,000/15,000 but it’s recommended drivers buy more liability than the minimum.
Comprehensive auto coverage
This will pay to fix damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims such as theft, fire damage and hail damage. The highest amount your auto insurance company will pay is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Do the work, save more money
You just read quite a bit of information on how to shop for auto insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may even discover the biggest savings come from a smaller regional carrier. Regional companies may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
Budget-conscious auto insurance can be purchased from both online companies and with local West Jordan insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to get a complete price analysis. There are still a few companies who do not offer online price quotes and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.