Finding affordable Wilmington auto insurance on the internet can seem to be somewhat difficult for consumers new to shopping for insurance online. With such a large number of insurance companies available, how can you effectively compare them all to find the cheapest rates?
It’s a great practice to compare rates on a regular basis because prices trend upward over time. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest rates on your last policy you will most likely find a better rate today. There is too much inaccurate information about auto insurance online, so we’re going to give you some good information on how to quit paying high auto insurance rates.
Fast and Easy Wilmington Auto Insurance Quotes
Finding a better price on auto insurance can be relatively painless. The only requirement is to spend a few minutes on the computer to get quotes online from several insurance companies. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in a couple of different ways.
- The single most time-saving way to get the best comparison quotes is a comparison rater form click here to open form in new window. This form eliminates the need for repetitive form submissions for each company. Taking the time to complete one form will return quotes from several companies. It’s the fastest way to compare.
- A slightly less efficient method to obtain and compare quotes online requires you to visit each individual company website to request a price quote. For sake of this example, we’ll assume you want rates from Auto-Owners, Liberty Mutual and Progressive. To get each rate you have to visit each site and enter your policy data, and that’s why the first method is more popular.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Wilmington, click here.
- The least efficient method to compare rates is driving around to insurance agents’ offices. The ability to buy insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you want the professional guidance of a local agent. You can, however, compare the best prices online but buy from a local insurance agent and we’ll touch on that later.
However you get your quotes, double check that you are using apples-to-apples coverage limits and deductibles for every quote you compare. If your comparisons have different liability limits it will be next to impossible to decipher which rate is best in Wilmington.
How much can you save with these ten discounts?
Auto insurance companies don’t always publicize every available discount very well, so here is a list both the well known and the more hidden ways to save on auto insurance. If you don’t get every credit possible, you are throwing money away.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one company you may save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Keeping the miles down could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- No Claims – Good drivers with no accidents pay less as compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Select companies give a discount for switching policies prior to your current policy expiration. The savings is around 10%.
- Student in College – Children who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have a car may be able to be covered for less.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new car is cheaper due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Federal Employees – Employees or retirees of the government may qualify you for a discount with a few auto insurance companies.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems help deter theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Homeowners Savings – Simply owning a home may trigger a auto insurance policy discount because of the fact that having a home shows financial diligence.
- E-sign – A few companies may give you up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up online.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Most only cut specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like you can get free auto insurance, you’re out of luck.
But buying car insurance online seems impersonal
Some consumers would prefer to buy from a licensed agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Professional agents can point out coverage gaps and help file insurance claims. The best thing about getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find the best rates and still have an agent to talk to.
By using this simple form, your insurance coverage information is transmitted to insurance agents in Wilmington who will compete for your insurance coverage. You won’t need to leave your house since price quotes are sent directly to your email. It doesn’t get any easier!
Deciding on an insurance company requires more thought than just the premium amount. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
What types of insurance agents are in Wilmington?
When searching for a reliable agent, you must know there are a couple different agency structures to choose from. Agencies in Wilmington are classified as either captive or independent. Either one can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn how they differ because it can impact your agent selection.
Captive agencies can only write with one company and examples are Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. Captive agents receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage. Some people will only buy insurance from these agents primarily because of loyalty to the company and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Listed below is a list of captive insurance agencies in Wilmington willing to provide price quote information.
- State Farm Insurance – 1813 Marsh Rd # G – Wilmington, DE 19810 – (302) 475-9016
- Allstate Insurance – 25 Milltown Rd # 2 – Wilmington, DE 19808 – (302) 995-6883
- Liberty Mutual Insurance – 1011 Centre Rd # 400 – Wilmington, DE 19805 – (302) 993-0500
Independent Insurance Agents
These agents are not employed by any specific company but rather can write business with many different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can switch companies and you won’t have to switch agencies. When comparing rates, we recommend you include at least one independent agent to ensure the widest selection of prices. They often place coverage with lesser-known insurance companies which can be an advantage.
The following are independent agencies in Wilmington who can help you get price quote information.
- Nationwide Insurance – 1403 Silverside Rd – Wilmington, DE 19810 – (302) 475-6200
- Mab Insurance and Assoc – 842 N Tatnall St – Wilmington, DE 19801 – (302) 651-9447
- Concord Agency Inc – 3520 Silverside Rd # 27 – Wilmington, DE 19810 – (302) 478-4000
For a full directory of Wilmington insurance agents, go to this page.
After getting reasonable responses in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you may have just found an insurance agency that meets your needs to provide auto insurance coverage.
More tips and info about auto insurance is available at the Delaware Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to learn about specific coverages, learn about insurance regulations, and find a variety of consumer forms.
Auto insurance coverage specifics
Learning about specific coverages of auto insurance aids in choosing the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. Auto insurance terms can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Auto liability insurance
This protects you from damage or injury you incur to other’s property or people by causing an accident. This insurance protects YOU from legal claims by others, and does not provide coverage for damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see liability limits of 25/50/25 that translate to a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability can pay for claims like pain and suffering, funeral expenses, repair costs for stationary objects, bail bonds and attorney fees. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but buy higher limits if possible. Delaware state minimum liability requirements are 15,000/30,000/10,000 but drivers should carry better liability coverage.
This coverage covers damage to your vehicle resulting from a collision with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for claims like colliding with a tree, driving through your garage door and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. Another option is to choose a higher deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your vehicle.
Since many Delaware drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (15/30/10), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important.
This covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as vandalism, damage from flooding, hitting a deer, hitting a bird and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The maximum amount your auto insurance company will pay is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Coverage for medical payments
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for expenses such as rehabilitation expenses, doctor visits, funeral costs, EMT expenses and chiropractic care. The coverages can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. It covers both the driver and occupants as well as any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Quote more, save more
When buying insurance coverage, it’s not a good idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits only to regret at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your focus should be to find the BEST coverage at the best price.
The cheapest auto insurance can be purchased on the web in addition to many Wilmington insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
Drivers leave their current company for a variety of reasons including policy cancellation, denial of a claim, being labeled a high risk driver and even high rates after DUI convictions. It doesn’t matter what your reason, choosing a new company can be easy and end up saving you some money.