Finding affordable Rahway auto insurance is challenging for people who are new to comparing rates online. Drivers have so many choices that it can easily become a real hassle to find the best price in Rahway.
If you are insured now or are just looking to switch companies, you can use these tips to reduce the price you pay while maximizing coverage. This information will help educate you on how car insurance quotes work and some tricks to saving. New Jersey drivers only need an understanding of the proper methods to shop for auto insurance online.
Buy Cheaper Auto Insurance with These Tips
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that go into determining auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates enables informed choices that can help you get much lower annual insurance costs.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces auto insurance companies consider when setting your rates.
- Performance makes a difference – The performance of the car you are insuring makes a big difference in how high your rates are. Economy passenger vehicles receive the most favorable rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Protect yourself with liability coverage – Liability coverage is the protection when a jury decides you are liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It will provide you with a defense in court up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is quite affordable when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
- Your location is important – Choosing to live in a small town can be a good thing when insuring your vehicles. Fewer drivers means fewer accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Drivers in populated New Jersey areas regularly have much more traffic to deal with and longer commutes to work. Higher commute times can result in more accidents.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Being married actually saves money on auto insurance. Having a spouse usually means you are more mature and responsible and it’s proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- A lapse in coverage is a bad thing – Driving your car without having proper coverage can get your license suspended and as a result your rates will increase for letting your coverage lapse. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance might get you a license revocation or jail time.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – Most insurers will award you with lower prices to insureds who buy several policies from them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to five, ten or even twenty percent. If you currently are using one company, you may still want to compare rates to make sure you are getting the best deal. You may still be able to find better rates by buying auto insurance from a different company.
- Cautious drivers pay less – Just one ticket can boost insurance rates twenty percent or more. Careful drivers tend to pay less for car insurance than bad drivers. Drivers who have serious citations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may need to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with the DMV in their state in order to continue driving.
Discounts are basically free money
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but there could be available discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you purchase, but a few must be manually applied before you will receive the discount. If you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – By paying your policy upfront instead of making monthly payments you can actually save on your bill.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles with anti-theft systems help deter theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- 55 and Retired – Older drivers may be able to get a small decrease in premiums.
- Military Discounts – Being on active duty in the military could mean lower rates.
- Homeowners Discount – Owning a home in Rahway may earn you a small savings due to the fact that maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- New Vehicle Savings – Putting insurance coverage on a new car is cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- No Charge for an Accident – Certain companies permit an accident without raising rates so long as you haven’t had any claims prior to the accident.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Life Insurance – Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase a life insurance policy as well.
- Driver’s Ed – Have your child complete a driver education course if offered at their school.
As a disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply the the whole policy. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like you can get free auto insurance, you’re out of luck. But all discounts will bring down your premiums.
Is there truth in advertising?
New Jersey drivers can’t get away from ads for cheaper car insurance by companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. All the companies make an identical promise of big savings if you switch to them.
How does each company say the same thing?
Different companies can use profiling for the type of driver that earns them a profit. For example, a driver they prefer could possibly be between 25 and 40, owns a home, and has a high credit rating. Any new insured that hits that “sweet spot” will qualify for the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to save when switching.
Potential insureds who don’t qualify for this ideal profile will be charged a more expensive rate and ends up with business not being written. The ads say “customers that switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much. That’s why insurance companies can make those claims.
That is why it is so important to quote coverage with many companies. Because you never know which insurance companies will give you the biggest savings.
Which insurance is the “right” coverage?
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
Here are some questions about coverages that might point out whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It’s fast, free and may give you better protection.
Additional auto insurance information is located on the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance website located here. New Jersey consumers can report car insurance fraud, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.
More quotes mean more savings
Affordable auto insurance can be purchased both online and also from your neighborhood Rahway agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. A few companies may not provide online quoting and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
While you’re price shopping online, never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many cases, drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to regret at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Insureds who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including delays in paying claims, being labeled a high risk driver, questionable increases in premium and even extreme rates for teen drivers. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding the right auto insurance provider is easier than you think.