Feel like you’re a prisoner to high-priced auto insurance? Believe me, many Long Beach consumers feel financially strained by their auto insurance policy. Because there are so many companies and agents to choose from, it’s nearly impossible to pick the lowest price insurer.
Buying car insurance in Long Beach is quite easy. If you have a policy now or need new coverage, you will benefit by learning to cut your premiums and possibly find even better coverage. Mississippi consumers just need to understand the tricks to find the lowest price over the internet.
How much can you save with these ten discounts?
Auto insurance companies don’t always advertise all their discounts very well, so we break down both well-publicized as well as the least known savings tricks you should be using. If you don’t get every credit available, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Government Employees – Simply working for the federal government can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your company.
- No Charge for an Accident – Some insurance companies allow you one accident without raising rates if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents may save up to 50% more than less cautious drivers.
- New Vehicle Savings – Adding a new car to your policy can be considerably cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- Senior Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you may qualify for reduced rates.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies offer discounts for signing up before your current expiration date. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Payment Discounts – By paying your policy upfront instead of making monthly payments you could save 5% or more.
- College Student – Kids in college who are attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Auto/Home Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with one insurance company you will save at least 10% off all policies.
Drivers should understand that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
For a list of providers offering auto insurance discounts in Long Beach, follow this link.
There’s no such thing as the perfect policy
When choosing the right insurance coverage, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Each situation is unique so this has to be addressed. Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- When should I drop full coverage on my vehicle?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Shop online but buy locally
Some consumers would prefer to get advice from a local agent. Good agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help you file claims. One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is you may find the best rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After completing this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Long Beach who will return price quotes for your coverage. You never need to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent to your email.
Selecting an insurance company requires more thought than just a low price. These questions are important to ask:
- Who are their largest clients?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Mississippi?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Are they full-time agents?
Listed below is a list of insurers in Long Beach that are able to give price quote information.
John L French Insurance – 100 W Fifth St, Long Beach, MS 39560 – (228) 863-6729
Allstate Insurance – 304 E Railroad St, Long Beach, MS 39560 – (228) 864-0222
Curt Temple Agency – 434 Pine Crest Cir, Long Beach, MS 39560 – (228) 575-9339
Keesler Insurance Svc – 204 E Railroad St, Long Beach, MS 39560 – (228) 863-0498
State Farm Insurance – 224 W Railroad St, Long Beach, MS 39560 – (228) 863-8535
Upon receiving answers to your satisfaction for all questions you ask and a good coverage price, you’ve probably found an insurance company that can properly service your auto insurance policy. Keep in mind consumers can terminate your policy for any reason so don’t think you are locked into a policy for the full term.
Auto insurance myths debunked
Mississippi drivers can’t get away from ads for cheaper car insurance from companies such as GEICO, State Farm and Progressive. They all make the same claim that you’ll save big if you switch your policy.
How can each company say the same thing?
Insurance companies have a preferred profile for the right customer that earns them a profit. An example of a preferred risk might be a mature driver, has no tickets, and has a high credit rating. A driver who fits that profile receives the best rates and as a result will probably pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Potential customers who don’t qualify for the requirements must pay higher premiums which leads to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads say “drivers who switch” not “people who quote” save that kind of money. This is how companies can truthfully claim big savings. This illustrates why drivers must compare as many rates as you can. You cannot predict the company that will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Auto insurance coverage breakdown
Learning about specific coverages of your policy helps when choosing the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Below you’ll find the usual coverages offered by auto insurance companies.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage provides protection from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. It can pay for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 25/50/25), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is a good idea.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for expenses for things like rehabilitation expenses, hospital visits and dental work. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Liability auto insurance
Liability insurance will cover damage that occurs to other’s property or people in an accident. It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see limits of 50/100/50 that translate to $50,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a total of $100,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $50,000.
Liability coverage protects against things like attorney fees, emergency aid and medical expenses. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but buy as high a limit as you can afford. Mississippi state minimum liability requirements are 25,000/50,000/25,000 but drivers should carry better liability coverage.
Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your vehicle from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision can pay for things like backing into a parked car, driving through your garage door and colliding with a tree. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are older. It’s also possible to bump up the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like a broken windshield, theft and fire damage. The most a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
More detailed Mississippi auto insurance information can be found at the Mississippi Insurance Department website. Consumers can read consumer alerts, report car insurance fraud, find disaster information, and file complaints about a company.
These articles may also be worth reading.
- Compare Car Insurance Rates From Long Beach Insurance Providers
- Long Beach, CA Car Insurance Savings the Insurance Agents Dont Want You to Know About
- 9 Must-Know Techniques When Shopping for Long Beach Car Insurance
One last thing about your coverage
When buying insurance coverage, don’t be tempted to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
Budget-conscious auto insurance can be purchased from both online companies in addition to many Long Beach insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection. Some companies do not provide the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.