If you’re trying to find cheaper insurance online, are you overwhelmed by the dozens of auto insurance companies in your area? There are such a large number of options that it can easily turn into a lot of work to compare auto insurance rates. Santa Rosa is an excellent city in which to live, but pricey auto insurance can make it nearly impossible for many drivers to be able to afford adequate coverage.
Buying car insurance in Santa Rosa is not that difficult. If you currently have car insurance, you will be able to lower your premiums substantially using this information. Nevertheless, New Mexico drivers must understand the way insurance companies determine prices and use this information to your advantage.
More discounts mean lower premiums
Car insurance companies don’t always publicize all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the below list has a few of the more common and also the more inconspicuous savings tricks you should be using when you .
- Student in College – Older children who live away from home at college and leave their car at home may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts of 20% or more.
- Theft Deterent – Cars equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Insureds who allow their insurance company to look at driving manner by installing a telematics device like Allstate’s Drivewise may get a rate reduction if they show good driving skills.
- Home Ownership Discount – Just being a homeowner can get you a discount because owning a home means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Buying coverage for primary and secondary vehicles on a single policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Discount for Good Grades – Getting good grades can earn a discount of 20% or more. Most companies allow this discount until age 25.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll in driver’s education in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Use Seat Belts – Requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save up to 15% on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars and trucks with ABS and/or traction control can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
Consumers should know that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you won’t be that lucky.
Companies that may offer policyholders some of the discounts shown above are:
Before purchasing a policy, check with each company or agent which discounts you may be entitled to. All car insurance discounts may not apply in your state. To view insurers that offer multiple discounts in New Mexico, follow this link.
Different people need different auto insurance coverages
When it comes to buying adequate coverage, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Every situation is different.
Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining if you could use an agent’s help.
- What is the minimum liability in New Mexico?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my vehicle to commute?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
If you can’t answer these questions then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
Get rate quotes but work with a local Santa Rosa insurance agency
Some consumers prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is a smart decision One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is you may find cheap auto insurance quotes and still have an agent to talk to.
By using this form (opens in new window), the quote information is emailed to agents in your area that give free quotes for your coverage. There is no reason to leave your computer since price quotes are sent instantly to you. You’ll get the best rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you want to get a price quote from a particular provider, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
Finding a good company shouldn’t rely on just the price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- How are they compensated?
If you prefer to buy auto insurance from a reputable insurance agent or broker, it’s helpful to know the different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Auto insurance agents in Santa Rosa are either captive or independent (non-captive).
Captive Auto Insurance Agents
These agents write business for a single company and examples are Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. Captive agents are unable to place coverage with different providers so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents receive extensive training on their company’s products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Drivers often purchase coverage from captives mainly due to the prominent brand name rather than low rates.
Below are Santa Rosa captive agents who may provide you with rate quotes.
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 247 S 4th St – Santa Rosa, NM 88435 – (505) 472-4731
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that choose to be independent are not locked into one company so they can write business with a variety of different insurance companies and find the cheapest rate. If they find a cheaper price, your agent can switch companies and you don’t have to switch agencies.
If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, we recommend you include a couple of independent agencies to get the best comparison. Most also write with smaller mutual companies which could offer lower prices.
The following is a short list of independent insurance agents in Santa Rosa that can give you comparison quotes.
- Mike Teeter Insurance – 440 Corona Ave – Santa Rosa, NM 88435 – (505) 472-3477
- Dodge Agency – 141 S 6th St – Santa Rosa, NM 88435 – (505) 472-5964
To view additional auto insurance agents in Santa Rosa, please visit this complete selection of Santa Rosa, NM auto insurance agencies.
After getting satisfactory answers to any questions you have and a low price estimate, you have narrowed it down to a car insurance agent that is reliable enough to properly insure your vehicles.
Information about specific coverages
Understanding the coverages of a auto insurance policy can help you determine which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Medical expense insurance
Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for bills for pain medications, hospital visits, ambulance fees and surgery. They are often used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if you do not have health coverage. They cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants as well as getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Liability auto insurance
Liability coverage provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to a person or their property in an accident. This coverage protects you against claims from other people, and does not provide coverage for your own vehicle damage or injuries.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see values of 25/50/25 which stand for $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability insurance covers claims like legal defense fees, medical expenses, funeral expenses and structural damage. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but buy as much as you can afford. New Mexico requires minimum liability limits of 25,000/50,000/10,000 but drivers should carry higher limits.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as a tree branch falling on your vehicle, hitting a deer, rock chips in glass and theft. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider dropping full coverage.
Collision coverage protection
This coverage pays for damage to your vehicle from colliding with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision can pay for claims like driving through your garage door, colliding with another moving vehicle, rolling your car and damaging your car on a curb. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. Another option is to bump up the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
This protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your vehicle.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (which is 25/50/10), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Learn more today
Even more information is located at the New Mexico Insurance Division website. New Mexico drivers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, learn about specific coverages, learn about insurance regulations, and read state legal mandates and laws.
More related Santa Rosa auto insurance information:
- How to Find the Perfect Insurance Agent in Santa Rosa California
- Insider Advice on Saving Money on Santa Rosa Car Insurance
- Santa Rosa, CA Car Insurance Agent Information
Cheaper coverage is out there
Affordable auto insurance can be found both online and with local Santa Rosa insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection. A few companies may not offer rates over the internet and these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through independent agents.
You just read many ways to compare auto insurance premium rates online. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding . Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from a small local company.
Insureds switch companies for any number of reasons including unfair underwriting practices, being labeled a high risk driver, policy non-renewal or even high rates after DUI convictions. No matter why you want to switch, finding a new company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.