Baffled by the wide range of auto insurance sources in Wiggins? Lot’s of other people are too. Mississippi drivers have so many options that it is a challenge to compare premium rates. Everyone knows Wiggins is an excellent city in which to live, but budgeting for expensive auto insurance can make it nearly impossible for many drivers to affordably buy enough coverage.
Compare quotes for Wiggins auto insurance
There are several ways to compare auto insurance quotes, but one way is more efficient than others. You can waste a few hours (or days) discussing policy coverages with agents in Wiggins, or you can utilize online quoting to accomplish the same thing much quicker.
Many companies belong to an insurance system where prospective buyers submit one quote, and each participating company then returns a price quote based on the submitted data. This system prevents you from having to do quote requests for each company you want a rate for.
To fill out one form to compare multiple rates now click here (opens in new window).
The one disadvantage to using this type of system is you don’t know exactly which insurance companies you will receive quotes from. So if you want to choose specific insurance companies to receive pricing from, we have a page of companies who write auto insurance in Mississippi. View list of Mississippi insurance companies.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just be sure to compare apples-to-apples coverage limits for every company. If you enter higher or lower deductibles you will not be able to decipher which rate is best in Wiggins.
Save $394 a year! What?
Mississippi drivers get pounded daily by advertisements that claim the cheapest premium rates by Progressive, Geico, Allstate and State Farm. All the companies make an identical promise about savings if you get a free and switch your policy.
But how can every company say the same thing?
Auto insurance companies have strict underwriting profiles for the type of driver that will be a good risk. For example, this type of risk profile may need to be over the age of 45, has other policies, and has excellent credit. A driver that meets those criteria will probably get the lowest prices as well as save quite a bit of money when switching.
People who don’t measure up to these criteria will be charged more expensive rates which translates to the prospect going elsewhere. Company advertisements say “drivers that switch” not “everyone that quotes” save the amount stated. That’s why insurance companies can claim big savings. That is why you really need to compare many company’s premium rates. It’s just too difficult to predict which auto insurance company will provide the lowest car insurance rates.
These ten discounts can reduce auto insurance rates
Some providers don’t always advertise the complete list of policy discounts very clearly, so below is a list a few of the more common and also the lesser-known credits that may apply to you. If they aren’t giving you every credit you qualify for, you could be saving more on your auto insurance.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Having worked for a branch of the government may reduce rates when you with a few auto insurance companies.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Cars that have air bags or motorized seat belts could see savings of more than 20%.
- Homeowners Savings – Being a homeowner can save you money since owning and maintaining a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Discount for Swiching Early – A few larger companies allow discounts for switching to them early. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Active Military Service – Being on active duty in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Some insurance companies give a discounted price on car insurance if you buy a life policy as well.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Have your child enroll in driver’s education in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of making monthly payments you can actually save on your bill.
- Good Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more as compared to drivers with claims.
- Claim Free – Drivers who don’t have accidents have much lower rates in comparison to bad drivers.
A quick disclaimer, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, nobody gets a free ride.
Companies and a partial list of their discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm includes discounts for passive restraint, safe vehicle, good student, driver’s education, and defensive driving training.
- American Family may have discounts that include bundled insurance, accident-free, multi-vehicle, Steer into Savings, good student, air bags, and early bird.
- AAA has discounts for anti-theft, good driver, multi-car, AAA membership discount, education and occupation, good student, and pay-in-full.
- Geico policyholders can earn discounts including seat belt use, emergency military deployment, military active duty, five-year accident-free, and anti-theft.
- Mercury Insurance may offer discounts for location of vehicle, low natural disaster claims, good student, multi-car, and type of vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including distant student, mature driver, switch companies, electronic funds transfer, and pay in full.
- Progressive offers discounts for homeowner, multi-policy, good student, continuous coverage, online quote discount, and online signing.
When getting , it’s a good idea to each company which discounts you qualify for. All car insurance discounts might not apply in every state.
Insurance agents can find coverage gaps
A small number of people just want to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is not a bad decision Professional insurance agents can help you choose the best coverages and help submit paperwork. A nice benefit of comparing auto insurance online is the fact that drivers can get cheap rate quotes and also buy local.
After completing this short form, your insurance coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents who will gladly provide quotes for your coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to drive around since price quotes are sent directly to your email. If you need to get a rate quote from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to go to their quote page and submit a quote form there.
Deciding on a insurer should depend on more than just a low price. Before buying a policy, get answers to these questions.
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Is there a local claims center in Wiggins?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
If you want to use a reputable agency, you must know there are a couple different types of agents and how they work. Agents may be either independent (non-captive) or captive. Either one can write auto insurance policies, but it’s good to learn the difference in how they write coverage since it could factor into the selection process.
Captive Auto Insurance Agencies
Captive insurance agents write business for a single company and examples are State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. Captive agencies are unable to compare other company’s rates so you might not find the best rates. They receive a lot of sales training on the products they sell and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Drivers often purchase coverage from captives mainly due to the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
The following is a list of captive insurance agents in Wiggins who can help you get comparison quotes.
- State Farm Insurance – 512 Vardaman St S # B – Wiggins, MS 39577 – (601) 928-3683
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These type of agents are not limited to a single company and that gives them the ability to insure with a variety of different insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. If they quote lower rates, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When shopping rates, we highly recommend that you check rates from several independent agencies to get the most accurate price comparison. Most also write with additional companies that you may not be familiar with which could offer lower prices.
The following is a list of independent agencies in Wiggins that are able to give price quotes.
- Stone Insurance Inc – 132 Vardaman St – Wiggins, MS 39577 – (601) 928-5435
- LMC Insurance – 26 Miles Cemetery Rd – Wiggins, MS 39577 – (601) 928-4085
To view additional licensed insurance agents in Wiggins, see this directory of insurance agents in Wiggins, MS.
Which is the best auto insurance?
When it comes to choosing the best auto insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a one size fits all plan. Each situation is unique.
For example, these questions can aid in determining if your insurance needs would benefit from professional advice.
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it’s worth?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
More detailed Mississippi auto insurance information can be read at the Mississippi Insurance Department website. Consumers can download brochures, discover disciplinary actions, and learn about insurance regulations.
Information about specific coverages
Understanding the coverages of a auto insurance policy can be of help when determining the best coverages for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your vehicle.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (25/50/25), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important.
Medical expense insurance
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for immediate expenses for funeral costs, rehabilitation expenses, doctor visits and nursing services. They are often used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover you and your occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Liability coverage protects you from damage or injury you incur to other’s property or people by causing an accident. This coverage protects you from claims by other people. It does not cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see limits of 100/300/100 which means a limit of $100,000 per injured person, a limit of $300,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $100,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against claims like court costs, funeral expenses, pain and suffering, legal defense fees and bail bonds. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying higher limits if possible. Mississippi requires minimum liability limits of 25,000/50,000/25,000 but drivers should carry more coverage.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as damage from getting keyed, vandalism and damage from flooding. The maximum payout a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
Auto collision coverage
Collision insurance covers damage to your vehicle resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision can pay for things such as hitting a mailbox, damaging your car on a curb and sustaining damage from a pot hole. This coverage can be expensive, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
A little work can save a LOT of money
Some companies may not have rate quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agents. Budget-conscious auto insurance can be purchased online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
As you restructure your insurance plan, make sure you don’t reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many situations where someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to discover later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate.
You just learned a lot of ways to save on auto insurance. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the better likelihood of getting . Drivers may discover the lowest prices are with a small local company.