Having to pay for overpriced car insurance can overdraw your personal savings and put the squeeze on your family’s finances. Doing a price comparison is a smart way to slash your bill and have more diposable income. Big-name insurance companies like Allstate, Liberty Mutual and State Farm all promote huge savings with catchy ads and it is challenging if not impossible to see past the geckos and flying pigs and do the work needed to find the best deal.
If you have a policy now or are shopping for new coverage, you can use these tips to shop for the lowest rates while maintaining coverages. Finding the best rates in Cheyenne is quite easy. Wyoming consumers just need to understand the tricks to compare price quotes on the web.
Lower the Price of Insurance with These Tips
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that help determine the price you pay for car insurance. Knowing what influences your rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get lower car insurance prices.
The following are a few of the “ingredients” used by your company to calculate your rates.
- Being married can save on car insurance – Being married helps lower the price when buying car insurance. Having a significant other means you’re more mature than a single person and it’s statistically proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- High crash test scores lower rates – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have better insurance rates. Safe vehicles reduce injuries and fewer injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims passed on to you as lower rates.
- Cautious drivers pay less – Your driving record impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Even a single ticket can increase rates forty percent or more. Good drivers receive lower rates than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers who get severe violations such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may be required to file a SR-22 with their state DMV in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Don’t buy coverages you don’t need – There are quite a few extra bells and whistles that you can buy on your policy. Insurance for personal injury protection, towing coverage and term life insurance may be costing you every month. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but if they’re wasting money eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Teen drivers pay high rates – Mature drivers are more cautious drivers, tend to file fewer claims and get fewer tickets. Teenage drivers tend to be careless and easily distracted in a vehicle and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
- Liability coverage protects you – The liability section of your policy is the coverage that protects you in the event that you are found to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. It will provide legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability is cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
- Credit scores impact car insurance rates – A driver’s credit score is a large factor in your rate calculation. Therefore, if your credit history is lower than you’d like, you could potentially save money when insuring your by repairing your credit. Consumers who have excellent credit tend to be less risk to insure than those with poor credit.
How to Lower Your Car Insurance Cost in Cheyenne, WY
There are a lot of ways to compare car insurance prices but there is one way that is less time-consuming than others. You can waste hours discussing policy coverages with local insurance agents in Cheyenne, or you can utilize online quotes to maximize your effort.
Most of the larger companies are enrolled in a marketplace that allows shoppers to send in one quote, and each participating company then returns a price quote based on the submitted data. This eliminates the need for quotation requests for each company.
To get comparison pricing now click to open in new window.
The only drawback to using this type of system is that consumers can’t choose which insurance companies you will receive quotes from. If you would rather choose from a list of companies to receive pricing from, we have a page of the cheapest car insurance companies in Wyoming. View list of Wyoming insurance companies.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just make sure you use identical information for every quote you compare. If you are comparing different liability limits it will be impossible to decipher which rate is best in Cheyenne.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Car insurance companies don’t always advertise every available discount in a way that’s easy to find, so we researched some of the best known and the harder-to-find savings tricks you should be using. If you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Life Insurance Discount – Larger companies have lower rates if you buy life insurance from them.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Simply owning a home may trigger a car insurance policy discount because of the fact that having a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Senior Citizens – Mature drivers may receive a small decrease in premiums.
- Distant Student – Any of your kids who are attending college and do not have a car may be able to be covered for less.
- Multiple Vehicles – Insuring multiple vehicles on the same car insurance policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, companies don’t profit that way.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-69.jpg" alt="Cheyenne Wyoming car insurance“/>
To see a list of insurance companies who offer car insurance discounts in Wyoming, follow this link.
What about using a local agent?
A small number of people would rather visit with an insurance agent and that is just fine! Professional agents can help determine the best coverages and help submit paperwork. One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is you can get the best rates and still have an agent to talk to.
Upon completion of this short form, your information is immediately sent to local insurance agents who will give you bids for your coverage. There is no need to leave your house due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. How cool is that?!
Choosing an insurer needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. These are valid questions to ask:
- How are they compensated?
- How many years of experience in personal lines insurance coverages do they have?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Wyoming?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
Captive and independent Cheyenne car insurance agents
When looking for a local agent, there are a couple of different types of agents that you can select. Insurance agencies in Cheyenne are categorized either captive or independent. Either one can do a good job, but it’s worth learning the difference between them because it can influence the selection process.
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive insurance agents write business for a single company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. These agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so always compare other rates. Captive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on the products they sell which can be an advantage.
Shown below is a short list of captive agents in Cheyenne who may provide you with price quotes.
State Farm Insurance – 1022 E Pershing Blvd – Cheyenne, WY 82001 – (307) 778-7770
Allstate Insurance – 1418 Campbell Ave – Cheyenne, WY 82001 – (307) 635-6266
Farmers Insurance Group – 3425 Dell Range Blvd – Cheyenne, WY 82009 – (307) 634-0956
Farm Bureau Insurance – 6248 Yellowstone Rd – Cheyenne, WY 82009 – (307) 632-9008
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agents are not required to write business for one company but instead can place your coverage amongst many companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can switch companies without you having to go to a different agency. When searching for an agent, it’s a good idea to include price quotes from multiple independent agents for the best price selection.
Below are independent insurance agents in Cheyenne that can give you comparison quotes.
Burns Insurance – 1600 E 19th St – Cheyenne, WY 82001 – (307) 634-5757
Marion Agency – 1017 E Lincolnway – Cheyenne, WY 82001 – (307) 632-5791
Woolington Agency – 2823 Central Ave – Cheyenne, WY 82001 – (307) 635-3108
Woolington Agency – 2205 E Pershing Blvd – Cheyenne, WY 82001 – (307) 632-9472
Tuckers Insurance – 2037 Painted Sky Rd – Cheyenne, WY 82009 – (307) 433-0081
For a complete listing of licensed insurance agents in Cheyenne, visit this site.
Upon receiving reasonable responses to these questions and a low price estimate, you’ve probably found a car insurance agent that can insure your vehicles.
What is the best insurance coverage?
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no “best” method to buy coverage. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs so your insurance needs to address that. For example, these questions can aid in determining whether you would benefit from professional advice.
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer’s policy when using it for work?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it’s worth?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in Wyoming?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
More tips and info about car insurance can be found at the Wyoming Insurance Department website. Wyoming drivers can report car insurance fraud, view a list of available companies, find out which companies have the most complaints, and get help finding coverage.
More comparisons equals lower rates
We just showed you many ways to lower your car insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get rates for, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may be surprised to find that the lowest rates come from a small mutual company. These companies often have lower prices on specific markets than their larger competitors like Progressive and GEICO.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are too many instances where an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.