Are you tired of being strong-armed each month for car insurance? Your situation is no different than most other car owners in North Dakota.
Because you have many companies to choose from, it can be impossible to locate the lowest cost provider.
It’s important to price shop coverage on a regular basis since insurance rates are usually higher with each renewal. Even if you got the lowest price two years ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re about to learn how to quote online to get good coverage at a lower rate.
Compare the Market for Car Insurance in Park River
When shopping for car insurance there are multiple ways of comparing price quotes from different in Park Riverinsurance companies. The simplest method to find the cheapest insurance rates is to perform an online rate comparison. This can be done in several different ways.
- One of the simplest ways to get the best comparison quotes is to use a rate comparison form click to view form in new window. This easy form saves time by eliminating repetitive form submissions for every car insurance company. Completing one form gets you price quotes from multiple companies.
- A slightly less efficient method to compare rate quotes requires a visit to each company’s website to request a price quote. For example, we’ll assume you want comparison quotes from Allstate, Liberty Mutual and Travelers. You would have to visit each site to input your insurance information, which is why the first method is quicker. For a handy list of car insurance company links in Park River, click here.
- The least efficient method to compare rates is to drive around to local insurance agencies. The ability to buy insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you prefer the trained guidance that only a license agent can provide. It is possible to find lower rates online but buy from a local insurance agent and we’ll cover that in a bit.
Which method you use is up to you, but double check that you are using exactly the same coverages for each price quote. If you are comparing mixed coverages you will not be able to decipher which rate is best in Park River. Slightly different insurance coverages can mean a large discrepancy in price. It’s important to know that more quotes gives you a better chance of getting a better price.
You have some control over your rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that play a part in calculating the price you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are some of the factors that factor into prices.
- Small claims can cost you – Auto insurance companies in North Dakota provide discounts to policyholders who do not file claims often. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Your insurance policy is designed for larger claims.
- How many coverages with the same company – The majority of car insurance companies give discounts to people who consolidate policies with them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can amount to ten or even up to twenty percent in some cases. If you currently are using one company, you may still want to compare other company rates to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- Always keep insurance in force – Letting your insurance expire will be a guaranteed way to pay more for car insurance. And not only will your rates increase, but not being able to provide proof of insurance may earn you a revoked license or a big fine.You may have to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the North Dakota motor vehicle department.
- Adjust deductibles and save – Your deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. Physical damage insurance, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply would be colliding with a building, damage from fire, or theft. The more you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
Are you getting all your discounts?
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you can get discounts that you may not know about. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time you complete a quote, but some must be specifically requested before you get the savings.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- College Student – Children living away from home attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Early Signing – Some insurance companies reward drivers for buying a policy before your current expiration date. This can save 10% or more.
- Save over 55 – Older drivers may receive better car insurance rates.
- Driver’s Ed – Require your teen driver to take driver’s ed class in high school.
- Good Student Discount – Getting good grades can earn a discount of 20% or more. This discount can apply until age 25.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Vehicles equipped with air bags can receive discounts of 20% or more.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you may save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- E-sign – Some insurance companies give back up to $50 simply for signing online.
Keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So when the math indicates all those discounts means the company will pay you, car insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any amount of discount will bring down your premiums.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-44.jpg" alt="Park River North Dakota auto insurance“/>
Car Insurance through a local agent
A small number of people would rather visit with an insurance agent and that is just fine! One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is you can get the lowest rates but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting local insurance agencies is important particularly in Park River.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, your coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents who will compete for your business. You never need to drive around since price quotes are sent immediately to your email address. It doesn’t get any easier! You can find the lowest rates AND a local agent.
Two types of auto insurance agents
When searching for an insurance agent, there are two types of insurance agents that you can select. Insurance agencies in Park River are categorized either independent or captive.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies do not work for one specific company so they have the ability to put coverage with lots of companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and that require little work on your part. When comparison shopping, it’s recommended you get quotes from at least one independent agent to get the best comparison.
Listed below are independent agencies in Park River who can help you get pricing information.
Dundee Mutual Insurance Co – 303 Briggs Ave S – Park River, ND 58270 – (701) 284-7139
Dundee Mutual Insurance Co – 610 3rd St W – Park River, ND 58270 – (701) 284-7929
Captive agencies can only write with one company like American Family, State Farm and Allstate. These agents are not able to compare other company’s rates so always compare other rates. Captive agencies are trained well in insurance sales which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below are Park River captive insurance agents that can give you price quote information.
State Farm Ins Jo Petersen Age – 110 4 St E – Park River, ND 58270 – (701) 284-7655
For a full directory of captive agents in Park River, visit this site.
Picking an insurance agent requires more thought than just a cheap price. These questions are important to ask:
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- If they are an independent agency, which companies do they recommend?
- What insurance companies do they work with?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Ommissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
Upon getting positive feedback to your questions and a good coverage price, you’ve probably found an insurance agent that meets your needs to provide car insurance coverage.
One last thing
Affordable car insurance can be sourced from both online companies in addition to many Park River insurance agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers do not provide the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.
We just presented some good ideas how you can shop for car insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get rates for, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may even find the lowest rates come from the smaller companies. These companies may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
More information can be read on the website for the North Dakota Insurance Department located here. North Dakota drivers can read industry bulletins, view agent and company licensing information, and learn about specific coverages.