Scraping up a payment for overpriced auto insurance can drain your bank account and force you to prioritize other expenses. Doing a price comparison is a smart way to lower your monthly bill.
With consumers having so many choices, it’s difficult to pick the most cost effective insurer.
Make smart decisions and save
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that help determine auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get lower auto insurance prices.
- Never go without insurance – Not having insurance is against the law and you will pay a penalty because you let your insurance expire. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in a steep fine or even jail time.Then you may be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the South Dakota motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Please use or commuting – Driving more miles in a year’s time the higher your rate. Almost all companies price each vehicle’s coverage based on their usage. Vehicles not used for work or commuting receive lower rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Ask your agent if your auto insurance coverage properly reflects the proper vehicle usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Higher deductibles cost less – Deductibles for physical damage represent how much money you are required to spend in the event of a claim. Physical damage insurance, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, insures against damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply would be colliding with a building, damage caused by hail, or theft. The more you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Performance level impacts rates – The performance level of the car you own makes a significant difference in determining your rates. The cheapest insurance rates are generally reserved for low performance passenger models, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- One company can mean more discounts – Many insurers will award you with lower prices to customers who have multiple policies with them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to five, ten or even twenty percent. Even with this discount, it’s in your best interest to compare other company rates to make sure you are getting the best deal.
Pay less by taking advantage of discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there are discounts available to help bring down the price. A few discounts will automatically apply when you complete an application, but a few must be specifically requested before being credited.
- Lower Rates for Military – Being deployed with a military unit could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Good Students Pay Less – Performing well in school can save 20 to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
- Distant Student – Kids in college living away from home attending college and do not have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Paperless Signup – Certain companies give back up to $50 just for signing your application online.
- Bundle and Save – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you may earn up to 20% off your total premium.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning a home in Fort Pierre may earn you a small savings because maintaining a house shows financial diligence.
- Accident Forgiveness – A handful of insurance companies will forgive one accident before raising your premiums if you are claim-free for a set time period.
Keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies don’t profit that way. Any qualifying discounts will bring down your overall premium however.
To choose providers with the best auto insurance discounts in South Dakota, click this link.
Can’t I compare rates from local Fort Pierre agents?
Some consumers prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is OK! One of the great benefits of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find the lowest rates but also keep your business local. Supporting local insurance agencies is important particularly in Fort Pierre.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), the quote information is submitted to local insurance agents who will battle for your business. You don’t have to even leave your home since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. How’s that for easy! You can find better rates and work with a local agent.
Independent or Captive: It’s your choice
When researching a reliable agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agents from which to choose. Agencies in Fort Pierre are either independent or captive.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents are not locked into one company so they have the ability to put coverage with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. If your agent finds better pricing, the business is moved internally and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When comparison shopping, you should always get quotes from several independent insurance agents to get the best comparison.
The following is a list of independent insurance agencies in Fort Pierre willing to provide comparison quotes.
Security Insurance – 119 N Deadwood St – Fort Pierre, SD 57532 – (605) 223-2288
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agents work for only one company such as Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They usually cannot give you multiple price quotes so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They are usually quite knowledgeable on the products they sell which can be an advantage.
Shown below are Fort Pierre captive agencies willing to provide price quotes.
Farm Bureau Financial Svc – 611 W Highway 14 – Fort Pierre, SD 57532 – (605) 223-9900
For a full directory of captive insurance agents in Fort Pierre, go to this page.
Selecting an auto insurance agent requires more thought than just the price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies?
Once you have received answers to your satisfaction to all your questions as well as a affordable price, it’s possible that you found an auto insurance agent that is a good match to provide auto insurance coverage.
Additional South Dakota car insurance resources
Additional auto insurance information can be read on the website for the South Dakota Division of Insurance found here. Consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, download brochures, find out industry alerts, and read consumer alerts.
More comparisons equals lower rates
Lower-priced auto insurance can be found from both online companies in addition to many Fort Pierre insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection. A few companies do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.
When you buy insurance online, don’t be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your aim should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.