Finding the lowest price for Madison auto insurance can seem complicated if you have never used online quotes. But don’t let that discourage you because comparing prices is actually very simple.
It is always a good idea to shop coverage around once or twice a year since insurance rates change regularly. Even if you think you had the lowest price last year you may be paying too much now. So just forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because it’s time to teach you the things you must know in order to save on auto insurance.
Pricing more affordable protection in Madison is simple if you know the tricks. If you have a policy now or need a new policy, you can use these tips to reduce the price you pay while maintaining coverages. West Virginia consumers just need to learn the most efficient way to shop their coverage around over the internet.
Tips to Get Lower Madison Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that help determine the price you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that can help you get much lower annual insurance costs.
- Type of vehicle determines base rates – The performance of the car you drive makes a big difference in how high your rates are. Small economy passenger vehicles usually have the lowest rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- How credit affects auto insurance rates – Credit score is a huge factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. So if your credit is lower than you’d like, you could pay less to insure your by repairing your credit. Drivers with high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records as compared to drivers with poor credit.
- A lapse in coverage is a bad thing – Letting your insurance expire is a sure-fire way to pay more for auto insurance. And not only will insurance be more expensive, getting caught without coverage may earn you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may have to file a SR-22 with the West Virginia department of motor vehicles.
- Theft deterrents lower rates – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention features like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all aid in stopping your car from being stolen.
- Mature drivers pay less – Mature drivers are more cautious drivers, file fewer claims and are safer drivers. Teenage drivers are statistically proven to get distracted easily in a vehicle and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Safer cars cost less to insure – Vehicles with high crash test scores get lower rates. The safest vehicles protect occupants better and any reduction in injury severity means lower claim amounts and more competitive rates for policyholders.
Cut your auto insurance rates with discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, buy you may qualify for discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you complete an application, but some must be specially asked for before being credited. If they aren’t giving you every credit available, you are paying more than you should be.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- New Car Discount – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can save up to 30% due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- No Accidents – Drivers who don’t have accidents pay less when compared with accident-prone drivers.
- Multiple Vehicles – Having multiple vehicles on the same auto insurance policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Theft Prevention System – Anti-theft and alarm systems are stolen less frequently and earn discounts up to 10%.
It’s important to note that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So even though it sounds like it’s possible to get free car insurance, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous. But any discount will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
To choose companies with the best auto insurance discounts in West Virginia, click here to view.
Your local neighborhood insurance agent
Some people would rather get advice from a local agent and that is OK! Good agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help file insurance claims. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is you can get better rates but also keep your business local. Supporting local insurance agencies is especially important in Madison.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is immediately sent to insurance agents in Madison who will battle for your insurance coverage. You won’t need to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. Now that’s easy!
Not all car insurance agents are the same
If you’re trying to find an insurance agent, there are two types of insurance agents from which to choose. Madison agents can either be captive or independent. Either one can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s important to know how they are different since it may influence your agent selection.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies are not employed by any specific company but instead can place your coverage amongst many companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the agent simply finds a different carrier without you having to go to a different agency.
When comparing rates, it’s a good idea to get quotes from multiple independent agents to get the best comparison. They also have the ability to place coverage with smaller regional carriers which can be an advantage.
Below is a short list of independent agencies in Madison that are able to give price quote information.
- E W Pete Lilly Insurance – 321 Main St – Madison, WV 25130 – (304) 369-0871
- Nationwide Insurance – 405 Riverside Dr W – Madison, WV 25130 – (304) 369-1087
Captive agencies work for only one company and examples are AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance and Allstate. They generally cannot give you multiple price quotes so they have no alternatives for high prices. They are usually quite knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage. Some consumers prefer to choose to use a captive agent mainly due to the brand legacy and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Shown below are captive insurance agencies in Madison who can help you get price quotes.
- State Farm Insurance – 302 Main St – Madison, WV 25130 – (304) 369-1158
To view a complete directory of Madison captive insurance agencies, go to this page.
Deciding on an auto insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. These questions are important to ask:
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- How many years of experience in personal lines insurance coverages do they have?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
After receiving reasonable responses for all questions you ask and an acceptable price quote, it’s possible that you found an insurance agency that can properly service your auto insurance policy.
Consumer auto insurance information in West Virginia
More information can be read on the West Virginia Insurance Commission website through this link. Visitors are able to report car insurance fraud, learn about insurance regulations, view a list of available companies, and get help finding coverage.
The following articles may also be useful.
- New Techniques for Cutting Costs on on Madisonville Car Insurance
- Easy Tips to Pay Less on Madison Alabama Car Insurance
- How to Know Youre Throwing Money Away for Auto Insurance in Madisonville
People who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, not issuing a premium refund, policy cancellation or even high rates after DUI convictions. Whatever your reason, choosing a new insurance company is less work than it seems.
As you prepare to switch companies, never buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many cases where an insured dropped full coverage and found out when filing a claim that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The aim is to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate.
In this article, we covered a lot of information how to compare auto insurance prices online. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the best prices are with some of the lesser-known companies.