Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy an overpriced car insurance policy? Believe me when I say there are many Holladay consumers feeling the pinch from expensive car insurance. Numerous auto insurance companies battle for your business, so it’s not easy to compare every company and uncover the absolute cheapest price
How to Get Car Insurance in Holladay, UT
Getting a lower price on insurance is a fairly straight forward process. You just have to take a couple of minutes to compare quotes online with multiple companies. This can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- One of the best ways consumers can analyze rates is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This type of form prevents you from having to do repetitive form submissions for each company you want a rate for. One quote request gets rate comparisons from multiple low-cost companies.
- A slightly less efficient method to obtain and compare quotes online consists of visiting each company website to complete a price quote. For example, let’s say you want to compare rates from Progressive, Esurance and State Farm. You would have to visit each site to input your insurance information, which is why the first method is quicker.
For a list of links to insurance companies in Holladay, click here.
- The most time-consuming method to get comparison rates is to waste gas driving to local insurance agencies. The ability to buy insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you require the personal advice only provided by licensed agents. You can, however, get prices online and still use a local agent. We’ll cover that shortly.
Which method you use is up to you, but ensure you are comparing exactly the same coverage information for each price quote. If you are comparing higher or lower deductibles it’s not possible to determine which rate is truly the best in Holladay.
More discounts equal less premium
Companies don’t necessarily list all available discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so here is a list both the well known and also the lesser-known savings tricks you should be using. If you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Government Employees – Active or retired federal employment can save as much as 8% depending on your company.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Defensive Driver – Taking part in a course teaching defensive driving skills can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you have multiple policies with the same company you could get a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
A little note about advertised discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. So despite the fact that it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
Car Insurance through a local agent
A small number of people prefer to get advice from a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Good agents can point out coverage gaps and help file insurance claims. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is you may find the lowest rates and still choose a local agent.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is sent to local insurance agents in Holladay who will give you bids to get your business. There is no reason to drive around since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox.
Selecting an insurer needs to be determined by more than just a low price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- If they are an independent agency, which companies do they recommend?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
What type of Holladay auto insurance agent is right for you?
When searching for a good insurance agency, you need to know there are two different types of agents to choose from. Holladay agents are either independent or captive. Both do a good job, but it’s worth learning how they are different because it can influence your selection of an agent.
Captive agencies are contracted to one company like Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. Captives are well schooled on the products they sell which helps them compete with independent agents.
Shown below are captive insurance agencies in Holladay who may provide you with rate quotes.
Farmers Insurance Group – 2059 E 3900 S # 100 – Holladay, UT 84124 – (801) 278-0061
State Farm Insurance – 1121 E 3900 S # C119 – Holladay, UT 84124 – (801) 262-9997
Farm Bureau Insurance – 4586 Highland Dr # 130 – Holladay, UT 84117 – (801) 277-9699
Allstate Insurance – 3975 Highland Dr # 15 – Holladay, UT 84124 – (801) 273-1107
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents are not locked into one company so they have the ability to put coverage amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage and that require little work on your part. When searching for an agent, it’s a good idea to include price quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to have the most options to choose from.
Listed below is a short list of independent agents in Holladay that can give you price quotes.
Taylor Benefits Insurance – 2160 E 4500 S # 4 – Holladay, UT 84117 – (801) 273-8455
Rufener Insurance – 3950 S 2300 E – Holladay, UT 84124 – (801) 278-4651
Zions Insurance Agency Inc – 4141 Highland Dr – Holladay, UT 84124 – (801) 844-4600
For a full directory of licensed insurance agents in Holladay, visit this link.
Upon receiving acceptable answers as well as a affordable price, you may have just found an insurance agency that is a good match to provide car insurance coverage. Just keep in mind consumers can cancel your policy at any time so never assume you are locked into the car insurance policy with no way to switch.
When should I use an insurance agent?
When choosing adequate coverage, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so your insurance should reflect that Here are some questions about coverages that might point out if your insurance needs could use an agent’s help.
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it’s worth?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
If you can’t answer these questions then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and may give you better protection.
Car insurance coverages 101
Having a good grasp of a car insurance policy aids in choosing the best coverages for your vehicles. Car insurance terms can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement. Listed below are typical coverage types found on the average car insurance policy.
Collision coverage protection
Collision coverage covers damage to your vehicle caused by collision with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against claims like hitting a parking meter, colliding with a tree, crashing into a ditch and hitting a mailbox. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to choose a higher deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Auto liability insurance
Liability insurance protects you from damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property in an accident. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see limits of 50/100/50 which means a limit of $50,000 per injured person, $100,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $50,000.
Liability can pay for things such as legal defense fees, pain and suffering and loss of income. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but buy as large an amount as possible. Utah requires drivers to carry at least 25,000/65,000/15,000 but you should think about purchasing more liability than the minimum.
Medical expense insurance
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for short-term medical expenses like funeral costs, EMT expenses, surgery and ambulance fees. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. They cover you and your occupants in addition to getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Due to the fact that many Utah drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (which is 25/65/15), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as falling objects, a broken windshield, rock chips in glass and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The highest amount your car insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
More detailed Utah car insurance information can be found at the Utah Insurance Department website. Utah drivers can file complaints about a company, download brochures, and view a list of available companies.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
We just showed you quite a bit of information on how to lower your car insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the most savings is with a small mutual company. Regional companies often have lower prices on specific markets compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.
Budget-conscious car insurance is definitely available both online as well as from independent agents in Holladay, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.