There isn’t anyone who rejoices having to buy car insurance, especially when their premiums are through the roof. Companies like Allstate, Progressive and GEICO all claim big savings, bombarding you with ad campaigns and consumers find it hard to ignore the flashy ads and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
When shopping for , there are a couple of ways to compare rate quotes from many available car insurance companies in Alabama. The fastest way to find competitive insurance rates is to use the internet to compare rates. This is very easy and can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
Probably the best way to get quotes for comparison is a comparison rater form click here to open form in new window. This form keeps you from doing separate forms for each price estimate. One form gets rate comparisons from several companies.
A slightly less efficient method to find better pricing is going to the website for every company you want to comare and request a quote. For sake of this example, we’ll pretend you need rates from Liberty Mutual, GEICO and GMAC. You would be required to go to each individual site and repeatedly enter your information, which can be really labor intensive.
For a list of links to insurance companies in Boaz, click here.
Even if you have time, the least recommended way to find lower rates is to spend time driving to all the different Boaz insurance agencies. Buying insurance online makes this unnecessary unless your situation requires the guidance of a local agency. It is possible to find lower rates online but buy from a local insurance agent.
Which method you use is up to you, but be sure to compare nearly identical coverage limits for each quote you get. If you are comparing different data you will not be able to make a fair rate comparison in Boaz. Even a minor difference in insurance coverages or limits may result in large price differences. And when comparison shopping, having more price comparisons helps you find the best price. Not every company does quotes online, so you need to compare quotes from them as well.
Get lower-cost Alabama car insurance quotes with discounts
Some companies don’t always list every discount they offer very well, so we researched both the well known and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving when you .
- Safe Drivers – Drivers without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% compared to accident prone drivers.
- Resident Student – College-age children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and leave their car at home may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Just owning your own home may earn you a small savings because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Theft Deterent System – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are stolen with less frequency and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Student Discounts – Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. The discount lasts up to age 25.
- Telematics Data – People who choose to allow their car insurance company to monitor driving habits through the use of a telematics system like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive’s Snapshot may get a rate reduction if they are good drivers.
Keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. Even though the math looks like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
Companies and some of the discounts are shown below.
- Travelers may include discounts for new car, student away at school, IntelliDrive, home ownership, and multi-car.
- 21st Century discounts include automatic seat belts, good student, driver training, homeowners, defensive driver, teen driver, and theft prevention.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for passive restraint, good student, accident-free, anti-theft, student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- GEICO includes discounts for anti-theft, five-year accident-free, federal employee, seat belt use, multi-policy, military active duty, and good student.
- SAFECO may have discounts that include teen safety rewards, teen safe driver, bundle discounts, anti-lock brakes, and safe driver.
- AAA offers discounts for multi-policy, education and occupation, good driver, anti-theft, good student, AAA membership discount, and multi-car.
Double check with each insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. All car insurance discounts may not be available everywhere. If you would like to see a list of companies who offer free car insurance quotes in Boaz, click here.
Coverages available on your policy
Understanding the coverages of your policy can help you determine appropriate coverage and proper limits and deductibles. Car insurance terms can be impossible to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Listed below are the usual coverages available from car insurance companies.
This covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like damage from getting keyed, theft, vandalism and damage from flooding. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider dropping full coverage.
Liability insurance protects you from damages or injuries you inflict on people or other property by causing an accident. This coverage protects you from legal claims by others. It does not cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have limits of 25/50/25 which means a limit of $25,000 per injured person, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for claims such as attorney fees, loss of income, court costs, emergency aid and bail bonds. How much liability should you purchase? That is up to you, but consider buying as large an amount as possible. Alabama state minimum liability requirements are 25,000/50,000/25,000 but it’s recommended drivers buy more coverage.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists either have no liability insurance or not enough. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and damage to your vehicle.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (25/50/25 in Alabama), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea.
This will pay to fix damage to your vehicle caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against claims like hitting a mailbox, crashing into a ditch and sideswiping another vehicle. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to bump up the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Coverage for medical payments
Med pay and PIP coverage reimburse you for short-term medical expenses for things like EMT expenses, nursing services, doctor visits, surgery and pain medications. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is only offered in select states and may carry a deductible
Additional Alabama consumer information
Additional detailed information is available at the Alabama Department of Insurance website. Alabama consumers can discover disciplinary actions, download brochures, and read state legal mandates and laws.