Tired of sacrificing to insure your vehicles every month? You have the same problem as many other Utah consumers. Lots of insurers contend for your hard-earned dollar, and it can be difficult to compare rates and get the best coverage at the cheapest price
It’s a great practice to get comparison quotes occasionally due to the fact that insurance prices change quite often. Just because you had the best deal a couple years back there is a good chance you can find better rate quotes now. There is a lot of wrong information about car insurance out there, but by reading this article, you’re going to learn some guaranteed methods to find cheap car insurance.
If you have a policy now or are shopping for new coverage, you can learn to shop for the lowest rates while maximizing coverage. Finding the best rates in Salem is not that difficult. Utah drivers only need an understanding of the most effective way to shop for car insurance on the web.
Use discounts to get cheaper Salem car insurance quotes
Buying car insurance is not cheap, but there could be significant discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Most are applied when you purchase, but a few must be asked about in order for you to get them. If you are not receiving all the discounts possible, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Payment Discounts – By paying your entire bill at once rather than paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Driving fewer miles may enable drivers to earn lower prices due to less chance of an accident.
- Life Insurance Discount – If the company offers life insurance, you could get a discount if you purchase life insurance from them.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle up could cut 10% or more on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning a house in Salem can save you money because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accident claims.
As a disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, nobody gets a free ride.
The best car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are shown below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include good driver, defensive driving training, student away at school, passive restraint, safe vehicle, and multiple policy.
- Nationwide offers premium reductions for good student, business or organization, family plan, accident-free, defensive driving, easy pay, and Farm Bureau membership.
- GEICO discounts include membership and employees, anti-lock brakes, multi-vehicle, federal employee, emergency military deployment, military active duty, and driver training.
- AAA offers discounts including multi-policy, good student, anti-theft, good driver, and AAA membership discount.
- 21st Century includes discounts for driver training, 55 and older, automatic seat belts, theft prevention, and homeowners.
- The Hartford offers discounts for good student, air bag, driver training, vehicle fuel type, and bundle.
When getting , it’s a good idea to all companies you are considering the best way to save money. Some credits may not apply in Salem. To choose insurers who offer car insurance discounts in Salem, click this link.
Comparing quotes from local Salem insurance agencies
Many people just want to buy from a local agent and we recommend doing that Professional agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help you file claims. The biggest benefit of price shopping on the web is that drivers can save money and get cheap car insurance rates and still have a local agent.
By using this quick form, the quote information is instantly submitted to companies in Salem that can give you for your business. There is no reason to contact an agency because quoted prices will be sent immediately to your email address. If you wish to quote rates from a specific car insurance provider, feel free to navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Picking the best company should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. Any agent should be willing to answer these questions.
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
- How long has their agency been open in Salem?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
To easily get contact information for insurance agents in your area, link to this list of car insurance agencies in Salem, UT.
Coverages available on your car insurance policy
Having a good grasp of your car insurance policy helps when choosing the best coverages for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy. These are the usual coverages offered by car insurance companies.
Auto liability – This coverage will cover damages or injuries you inflict on people or other property that is your fault. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see liability limits of 25/50/25 which means $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for claims like pain and suffering, structural damage and bail bonds. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but you should buy higher limits if possible. Utah state minimum liability requirements are 25,000/65,000/15,000 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision – This pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like damage from getting keyed, fire damage, hitting a bird, falling objects and hail damage. The most your car insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
UM/UIM Coverage – This coverage gives you protection when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your vehicle.
Due to the fact that many Utah drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (25/65/15), their limits can quickly be used up. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Medical costs insurance – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage pay for bills for things like EMT expenses, rehabilitation expenses, X-ray expenses, prosthetic devices and hospital visits. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not available in all states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Collision coverage – Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your vehicle resulting from a collision with an object or car. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision can pay for things such as backing into a parked car, driving through your garage door, colliding with a tree and sideswiping another vehicle. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to choose a higher deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
For more reading
Additional detailed information can be found at the Utah Insurance Department website. Utah consumers can view agent and company licensing information, view a list of available companies, read consumer alerts, and read enforcement actions against agents and companies.
These articles may also be worth reading.
- Best Car Insurance Exclusively for Salem Residents
- 6 Excellent Ways to Slash Car Insurance Rates in Salem
- Professional Methods to Cheaper Salem Car Insurance
More quotes mean more savings
The cheapest car insurance is definitely available both online in addition to local insurance agencies, so get from both of them so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies may not provide the ability to get a quote online and these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.
When buying insurance coverage, don’t be tempted to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many cases where an insured cut collision coverage only to regret at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The aim is to buy enough coverage for the lowest price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.