Confused by the sheer number of auto insurance choices available to you? There are such a large number of options that it is a real challenge to compare prices. Everyone knows Calera is a great place to live, but expensive auto insurance premiums can make it hard to afford enough coverage.
Locating the cheapest auto insurance coverage in Calera can be fairly easy. Basically, anyone who is shopping for auto insurance will most likely be able to lower their premiums. But Alabama car owners must learn how insurance companies price online insurance and apply this information to your search.
Affordable Calera auto insurance rates with discounts
Buying auto insurance is not cheap, but there may be some discounts that may help make it more affordable. Most are applied at quote time, but once in a while a discount must be asked for before they will apply.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you can bundle your auto and homeowners insurance with the same insurance company you could save up to 20% and get you .
- No Accidents – Drivers with accident-free driving histories get the best auto insurance rates as compared to frequent claim filers.
- Home Ownership Discount – Just owning your own home may earn you a small savings due to the fact that maintaining a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Save with a New Car – Buying a new car instead of a used car can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Government Employees – Employees or retirees of the government can earn a discount up to 10% but check with your company.
- Payment Method – If you can afford to pay the entire bill rather than spreading payments over time you may have a lower total premium amount.
As a sidenote, some credits don’t apply the the whole policy. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So when it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you aren’t that lucky.
Popular auto insurance companies and their offered discounts are included below.
- American Family includes discounts for air bags, early bird, TimeAway discount, good student, mySafetyValet, and defensive driver.
- Farm Bureau may include discounts for renewal discount, safe driver, driver training, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
- State Farm offers discounts including multiple autos, good driver, multiple policy, defensive driving training, and accident-free.
- Travelers offers premium reductions for multi-policy, early quote, student away at school, new car, and home ownership.
- The Hartford policyholders can earn discounts including bundle, defensive driver, good student, driver training, vehicle fuel type, and air bag.
- GEICO discounts include anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, multi-vehicle, membership and employees, and seat belt use.
- Progressive may have discounts that include homeowner, online signing, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, good student, and multi-policy.
Check with all the companies how many discounts you can get. Savings may not be available in your state. To locate companies that offer many of these discounts in Calera, follow this link.
Comparing auto insurance rates can be a daunting task if you don’t utilize the most efficient way. You can spend countless hours talking to local insurance agents in Calera, or you can utilize online quoting to get rates in a matter of minutes.
Many insurance companies participate in a marketplace that enables customers to only type in their quote data once, and every company provides a quote for coverage. This system prevents you from having to do form submissions to each company.
To find out what other companies charge click here to open in new window.
One minor caviat to doing it this way is you can’t choose which companies you want to price. So if you want to select from a list of companies for rate comparison, we have a page of companies who write auto insurance in Alabama. Click to view list.
Whichever method you choose, try to keep equivalent coverage limits on every quote. If you compare different data it’s impossible to determine the lowest rate in Calera. Quoting even small variations in coverage limits could skew the results. And when comparing auto insurance rates, know that comparing a large number of companies will enable you to find a lower rate than you’re paying now.
Situations that may require an agent’s advice
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. Every situation is different.
For example, these questions can help discover whether you may require specific advice.
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- What is the minimum liability in Alabama?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
Auto insurance coverages and their meanings
Learning about specific coverages of your policy can help you determine appropriate coverage at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for immediate expenses like funeral costs, doctor visits and prosthetic devices. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover you and your occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not universally available and may carry a deductible
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
This coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your vehicle.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (Alabama limits are 25/50/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is important protection for you and your family. Frequently the UM/UIM limits are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Coverage for liability
Liability insurance protects you from damages or injuries you inflict on people or other property that is your fault. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You commonly see limits of 50/100/50 that means you have a $50,000 limit per person for injuries, $100,000 for the entire accident, and a limit of $50,000 paid for damaged property. Another option is a combined limit that pays claims from the same limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability coverage protects against claims such as repair costs for stationary objects, medical expenses, structural damage, bail bonds and funeral expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. Alabama requires drivers to carry at least 25,000/50,000/25,000 but drivers should carry higher limits.
Collision coverage covers damage to your vehicle caused by collision with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers claims like sustaining damage from a pot hole, colliding with another moving vehicle, driving through your garage door, hitting a mailbox and colliding with a tree. This coverage can be expensive, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to bump up the deductible to bring the cost down.
This coverage pays for damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims such as damage from a tornado or hurricane, hitting a bird and damage from getting keyed. The maximum payout your auto insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Be persistent and save
We covered many tips how you can get a better price on auto insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more you , the better chance you’ll have of finding . You may be surprised to find that the most savings is with a lesser-known regional company.
When shopping online for auto insurance, make sure you don’t buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where an insured dropped liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your strategy should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price.
Some insurance companies may not offer the ability to get quotes online and these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agencies. The cheapest auto insurance can be purchased online as well as from insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both to have the best chance of lowering rates.