If price shopping auto insurance online is new to you, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the hoards of online auto insurance companies and websites selling insurance in Horn Lake.
Why you might pay higher rates in Horn Lake
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that come into play when calculating auto insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what impacts premium levels enables informed choices that may reward you with lower auto insurance prices.
- Poor credit can mean higher rates – Having a bad credit score is a important factor in your rate calculation. If your credit score is lower than you’d like, you could save money insuring your by improving your credit score. Consumers who have high credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than drivers who have poor credit.
- How’s your driving record? – Careful drivers tend to pay less for car insurance compared to drivers with tickets. Even a single moving violation can boost insurance rates twenty percent or more. Drivers with flagrant tickets such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence are required to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to keep their license.
- Mature drivers pay less – Young drivers in Mississippi are statistically proven to get distracted easily when behind the wheel so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Older insureds are more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel.
- Where you live can impact rates – Residing in a small town is a positive aspect when buying auto insurance. Drivers who live in large cities have more traffic problems and a longer drive to work. Lower population means reduced accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
- Rates may be lower depending on your job – Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Jobs such as real estate brokers, executives and dentists tend to pay the highest average rates because of job stress and long work hours. Other occupations like scientists, historians and performers have the lowest average rates.
- Being married can save on auto insurance – Having a spouse helps lower the price on auto insurance. It is viewed as being more mature and responsible and it’s proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Discounts are great for lower rates
Auto insurance companies don’t always publicize every discount in a way that’s easy to find, so we break down both the well known and also the lesser-known auto insurance savings.
- Driver’s Ed – Cut your cost by having your teen driver complete a driver education course if it’s offered in school.
- Distant Student – Children who are attending college without a vehicle on campus can receive lower rates.
- Defensive Driver – Successfully completing a defensive driving course could save 5% or more depending on where you live.
- New Vehicle Savings – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Seat Belts Save – Requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could save 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Passive Restraints – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts can qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Being a homeowner can help you save on auto insurance because of the fact that having a home demonstrates responsibility.
Drivers should understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when the math indicates all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky.
To choose providers with the best auto insurance discounts in Horn Lake, click here.
Buying auto insurance from a local agent
Certain consumers just want to get advice from a local agent and that is just fine! The biggest benefit of price shopping on the web is you may find better rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, your coverage information is transmitted to companies in Horn Lake who will compete for your coverage. You won’t need to leave your house as quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. Now that’s easy! You’ll get the best rates without the usual hassles of price shopping.
Selecting an provider requires more thought than just the bottom line cost. Here are some questions to ask:
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Mississippi?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
Captive or Independent: There is a difference
When finding a reputable insurance agent or broker, you need to know there are two types of agencies that you can select. Horn Lake agents can either be independent or captive.
Captive insurance agents work for only one company such as Liberty Mutual, Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Captives cannot give you multiple price quotes so they have to upsell other benefits. These agents are well schooled on the products they sell and that can be a competitive advantage. Some consumers prefer to choose to use a captive agent primarily because of loyalty to the company and solid financial strength.
Shown below is a short list of captive insurance agencies in Horn Lake that are able to give price quotes.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-38.jpg" alt="Horn Lake MS car insurance prices“/>
- Shelter Insurance – 6001 Highway 51 N # 2 – Horn Lake, MS 38637 – (662) 393-0031
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents are not locked into one company but instead can place your coverage with lots of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage without you having to go to a different agency.
When comparing rates, we recommend you include price quotes from at least one independent agent to ensure the widest selection of prices. They often place coverage with lesser-known insurance companies which can save you money.
Shown below is a short list of independent agencies in Horn Lake that can give you price quote information.
- Direct General Ins Agency – 5842 Goodman Rd # 5 – Horn Lake, MS 38637 – (662) 781-3626
- Britton Insurance – 2737 Heatherglen Cv W – Horn Lake, MS 38637 – (662) 280-8955
To view a complete directory of Horn Lake insurance agents, click here to link.
Upon receiving reasonable responses to all your questions in addition to an acceptable price estimate, it’s possible that you found an insurance agency that will insure your vehicles.
Do auto insurance companies bend the truth?
State Farm, Allstate and GEICO continually stream television and radio advertisements. All the companies say the same thing about savings after switching to their company. How do they all say the same thing? This is how they do it.
All companies have a certain “appetite” for the type of driver that makes them money. An example of a desirable insured might be profiled as between 25 and 40, has no tickets, and has excellent credit. Any new insured that hits that “sweet spot” will get the preferred rates and most likely will cut their rates substantially.
Potential insureds who do not match the requirements will have to pay higher rates which leads to business not being written. The ad wording is “drivers who switch” not “people who quote” save that much. That’s why companies can truthfully advertise the way they do. Because of the profiling, you absolutely need to quote coverage with many companies. Because you never know which insurance companies will provide you with the cheapest rates.
But I don’t know anything about car insurance
When buying adequate coverage for your vehicles, there is no one size fits all plan. Everyone’s situation is unique.
These are some specific questions might point out whether your personal situation could use an agent’s help.
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- If my vehicle is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Online resources for education
Even more information can be read at the Mississippi Insurance Department website. Mississippi consumers can discover disciplinary actions, find a variety of consumer forms, report car insurance fraud, and file complaints about a company.
Smart shoppers get results
Discount auto insurance is attainable on the web in addition to many Horn Lake insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies do not provide the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
As you prepare to switch companies, don’t be tempted to reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many situations where consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits only to find out that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
In this article, we covered many tips how you can save on auto insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the lowest premiums are with the least-expected company.