Have you fallen victim to an overpriced auto insurance policy? Say no more because there are many Westlake consumers feeling the pinch from expensive auto insurance. You have multiple insurance companies to pick from, and although it’s nice to have a selection, having more car insurance companies makes it harder to compare rates.
Consumers should take time to compare rates quite often because prices are constantly changing. Just because you had the best quotes on your last policy you may be paying too much now. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because you’re going to learn how to use the internet to save money, get proper coverage and the best rates.
The purpose of this post is to introduce you to how to get online quotes. If you currently have car insurance, you will most likely be able to save some money using this information. Louisiana drivers only need an understanding of the tricks to compare company rates online.
Auto insurance discounts help lower rates
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always list their entire list of discounts very well, so the list below gives a summary of a few of the more well known and also the lesser-known discounts that may be available. If you do not double check each discount you deserve, you may be paying too high a price.
- Early Switch Discount – A few auto insurance companies offer discounts for signing up early. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying coverage for more than one vehicle on the same auto insurance policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Driving fewer miles could earn lower prices due to less chance of an accident.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Insureds without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than drivers with accident claims.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Require your teen driver to enroll and complete driver’s education as it can save substantially.
- Life Insurance Discount – Some companies give a discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
Discounts save money, but please remember that some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it’s just not the way it works.
A partial list of companies that have these discounts include:
If you are trying to find , ask each company or agent the best way to save money. Discounts might not be offered on policies in Westlake.
How insurers determine premiums
When buying auto insurance it’s important to understand the factors that go into determining your policy premiums. When consumers understand what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make educated decisions that may result in big savings.
- Pay more by driving carelessly – Your driving citation history impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Even one moving violation can bump up the cost substantially. Attentive drivers get better prices as compared to those with violations. People who have serious citations such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may be required to maintain a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Where do you drive? – The more you drive your car in a year the higher your rate. A lot of companies calculate rates based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Vehicles that are left in the garage get more affordable rates than cars that get driven a lot. Verify your auto insurance policy shows annual mileage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Married drivers pay less – Your spouse may earn you lower rates when shopping for auto insurance. Marriage may mean you are more responsible and insurance companies like that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
- Why do you need liability protection? – Your auto insurance policy’s liability coverage is the coverage that protects you when you are found to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. This coverage provides you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. It is affordable coverage compared to physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
Compare rates but buy from a local Westlake insurance agent
Some consumers still like to visit with an insurance agent and that is a personal choice. Insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and help in the event of a claim. The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find cheap auto insurance quotes and still have an agent to talk to. And providing support for neighborhood insurance agencies is definitely important in Westlake.
Once you complete this short form, your insurance coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents in Westlake who will give you bids for your insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to search for any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific company, just search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
When narrowing the list to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, you must know there are a couple different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Westlake can be classified as either captive or independent (non-captive). Both write policy coverage, but we need to point out the subtle differences because it can influence your agent selection.
Agents that choose to be independent do not write with just one company so they can write business through many companies and find you cheaper rates. If they quote lower rates, they simply move your policy to a different company which is easy for the insured. When searching for an agent, we highly recommend that you compare prices from multiple independent agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Shown below is a partial list of independent agents in Westlake who can help you get cheap rate quotes.
Polly Scott Insurance – 2512 Westwood Rd # A – Westlake, LA 70669 – (337) 439-1953
Scott Mc Manus Agency – 910 Sampson St # A – Westlake, LA 70669 – (337) 433-3645
Captive Insurance Agencies
These type of agents can only provide one company’s prices and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. Captive agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they have no alternatives for high prices. Captive insurance agents are well schooled on what they offer and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
The following are captive agencies in Westlake who can help you get comparison quotes.
Allstate Insurance – 901 Shady Ln – Westlake, LA 70669 – (337) 433-0901
Shelter Insurance – 1011 Sampson St – Westlake, LA 70669 – (337) 436-3331
To view agents near you, visit this complete selection of insurance agencies in Westlake.
Picking an car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
Once you have received answers to your satisfaction for all questions you ask and an affordable coverage quote, it’s a good possibility that you have found an auto insurance agent that is reliable enough to properly insure your vehicles.
Don’t listen to company ads
Louisiana drivers can’t avoid all the ads that claim the cheapest prices from the likes of State Farm, Geico and Progressive. All the companies have a common claim that drivers will save a bundle just by switching to their company.
Is it even possible that every company can make the same claim? Just pay attention to how they say it.
Many companies are able to cherry pick for the type of driver that will most likely be profitable. For example, a profitable risk profile might be over the age of 45, has no prior claims, and has great credit. Any new insured who matches that profile is entitled to the best price and therefore will cut their rates substantially.
Potential insureds who are not a match for those criteria will be quoted higher premiums and ends up with business not being written. If you pay attention, the ads say “drivers that switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much. That’s the way companies can truthfully make it sound like they have such great premium rates.
Because every company is different, you absolutely need to get price quotes at each policy renewal. It’s just not possible to know which company will have better car insurance rates than you’re paying now.
Online resources for education
Additional auto insurance information can be found on the through this link. Visitors are able to find a variety of consumer forms, discover disciplinary actions, get help finding coverage, and view agent and company licensing information.
Persistent drivers can save
Some insurance providers may not offer online price quotes and these regional carriers sell through local independent agencies. Lower-priced auto insurance can be sourced both online and from local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
When getting , it’s a bad idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. There are a lot of situations where drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits to discover at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your goal is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.