Are you tired of scraping the payment together to pay high auto insurance rates every month? You are no different than most other vehicle owners in Michigan. You have so many car insurance companies to purchase coverage from, and even though it’s nice to have a choice, it can be more challenging to find the best rates for your vehicles.
It’s a good habit to check auto insurance prices every six months since insurance prices change regularly. Even if you think you had the lowest rate a few years ago you will most likely find a better premium rate today. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because it’s time to teach you the easiest way to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Most larger insurance companies allow you to get price estimates from their websites. Obtaining pricing is quite simple because you just enter your required coverages into the quote form. Once entered, their quoting system makes automated requests for your credit score and driving record and returns pricing information based on the information you submitted. Online quotes makes it simple to compare prices but the work required to visit each company’s website and repetitively type in the same information gets old quite quickly. But it is imperative to perform this step if you want to find better auto insurance pricing.
There is an easier way to compare rates
The preferred way to lower your auto insurance bill uses just one form that gets prices from several companies at one time. It saves time, helps eliminate reptitive entry, and makes online price comparison much simpler. Immediately after you send the form, your coverage is rated with multiple companies and you can pick any or none of the quote results. If a lower price is quoted, it’s easy to complete the application and buy the new coverage. The whole process takes just a few minutes to complete and you’ll know if lower rates are available.
To compare rates now, click here to open in new window and complete the simple form. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended that you enter deductibles and limits identical to your current policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you’re receiving rate quotes using the same coverage and limits.
What impacts Lapeer insurance prices?
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that are used to determine your auto insurance rates. If you understand what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs. Many factors are part of the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving record, although others are less apparent such as whether you are married or your financial responsibility.
The factors shown below are some of the most common factors auto insurance companies consider when setting your rates.
- Reduce premiums by driving safer cars – Safer cars get lower rates. Vehicles built for safety reduce occupant injuries and reduced instances of injuries means your insurance company pays less and cheaper rates on your policy.
- Responsible drivers pay better costs – Only having one speeding ticket may increase your cost forty percent or more. Drivers with clean records have lower premiums than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers with serious violations like DUI or willful reckless driving are required to maintain a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to legally drive a vehicle.
- Compare rates if you combine your policies – Many insurers allow a discount to people who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount applied, you may still want to comparison shop to ensure the best deal.
- Premiums are impacted by vehicle performance – The type of car you are buying insurance for makes a substantial difference in your car insurance bill. Lower performance four cylinder passenger cars receive the most favorable rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
Auto insurance policy discounts
Auto insurance companies do not advertise all disounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below contains both the well known as well as the least known discounts that you can inquire about if you .
- Telematics Devices – Lapeer drivers who agree to allow their insurance company to scrutinize when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as State Farm’s In-Drive could possibly reduce rates if their driving habits are good.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you combine your auto and homeowners insurance with one company you may save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Air Bag Discount – Factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may qualify for discounts up to 30%.
- College Student – Children who are attending college and do not have a car may be able to be covered for less.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Vehicles with ABS and/or traction control can stop better under adverse conditions so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Theft Deterent – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are less likely to be stolen and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Federal Government Employee – Active or retired federal employment can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Despite the appearance that you can get free auto insurance, you’re out of luck. Any qualifying discounts will positively reduce the cost of your policy.
A few of the larger companies and some of the discounts can be found below.
- Geico includes discounts for defensive driver, five-year accident-free, multi-vehicle, emergency military deployment, and driver training.
- Travelers has discounts for early quote, continuous insurance, home ownership, driver training, multi-policy, save driver, and good student.
- Farm Bureau policyholders can earn discounts including driver training, safe driver, multi-policy, youthful driver, 55 and retired, good student, and renewal discount.
- Liberty Mutual may include discounts for newly married, preferred payment discount, safety features, teen driver discount, and newly retired.
- American Family discounts include accident-free, air bags, mySafetyValet, defensive driver, bundled insurance, and good driver.
- Progressive offers discounts including homeowner, continuous coverage, multi-policy, good student, and online signing.
If you are trying to find , ask each company or agent how you can save money. Discounts might not apply in Lapeer. To see companies that offer multiple discounts in Lapeer, click here.
Don’t give up on lower rates
Some insurance companies don’t offer internet price quotes and usually these smaller companies sell through independent agents. Affordable auto insurance can be sourced online and with local Lapeer insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
We just presented some good ideas how to get a better price on auto insurance. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting . You may be surprised to find that the lowest priced auto insurance comes from an unexpected company. Some small companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or Geico.
Additional detailed information is available at the Michigan Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation website. Michigan consumers can find disaster information, download brochures, and report car insurance fraud.