Think you have high-priced car insurance? Believe me, there are many New Plymouth drivers thinking the same thing. Companies like Allstate, Progressive and Geico continually hit you with catchy ads and it is difficult to ignore the promise of big savings and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
You should make it a habit to check car insurance prices on a regular basis because car insurance prices are rarely the same from one policy term to another. If you had the best quotes at your last renewal you may be paying too much now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because you’re about to find out the proper way to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
The quickest method to compare car insurance company rates utilizes the fact most insurance companies have advanced systems to quote your coverage. All consumers are required to do is provide information including level of coverage desired, driver ages, distance driven, and your general credit rating. The rating information is submitted instantly to multiple car insurance providers and they return quotes almost instantly.
To start a rate quote now, click here and complete the form.
Find hidden discounts to get affordable New Plymouth car insurance rates
Companies offering auto insurance don’t necessarily list every policy discount in an easy-to-find place, so we researched a few of the more common as well as the least known credits available to you.
- Theft Deterent System – Vehicles that have factory anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active duty in the military could mean lower premium rates.
- Low Miles Discount – Low mileage vehicles could qualify for cheaper prices.
- Membership in Organizations – Being in a qualifying organization could qualify you for a break on your bill.
- Auto/Life Discount – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a discount if you purchase life insurance from them.
- Good Drivers – Drivers without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than less cautious drivers.
- Bundled Policy Discount – When you combine your auto and homeowners insurance with one insurance company you may save nearly 15% which can help you find .
- Telematics Devices – Policyholders that allow driving data submission to analyze driving habits by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate may see discounts if they have good driving habits.
- Own a Home – Owning your own home or condo may trigger a policy discount on car insurance because maintaining a house shows financial diligence.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So even though you would think you could get a free car insurance policy, you’re out of luck.
Some of the insurance companies that may offer some of the above discounts include:
If you want , ask each company how many discounts you can get. Some discounts may not apply to policyholders in New Plymouth.
You may need advice from an insurance agent
Certain consumers prefer to buy from a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get better rates but also keep your business local.
After completing this quick form, your insurance coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents that give free quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no reason to leave your house since rate quotes are delivered to you. You can find lower rates and work with a local agent. If for some reason you want to quote rates from a particular provider, you can always search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
Finding a good company requires you to look at more than just a low price. These are valid questions to ask:
- Which family members are covered?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- How are claims handled?
Choose the right auto insurance agent
If you want a reputable agency, there are two different types of agents that you can select. Agencies in New Plymouth are classified as either independent agents or captive agents.
Agents of this type can only provide one company’s prices like Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. Captive agents cannot compare rates from other companies so you might not find the best rates. Captive agencies are highly trained on the products they sell which can be an advantage.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These agents do not write with just one company so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If prices rise, your agent can just switch to a different company and you don’t have to do anything.
If you need cheaper car insurance rates, you absolutely need to check rates from several independent agencies to get the most accurate price comparison.
Eight things that influence your costs
The best way to find cheaper car insurance is to take a look at some of the elements that aid in calculating your car insurance rates. If you understand what determines premiums, this enables informed choices that will entitle you to big savings.
The items below are some of the factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set rates.
- Your occupation may affect prices – Occupations such as military personnelairline pilots and stock brokers generally have the highest rates because of intense work-related stress and extremely grueling work hours. On the flip side, occupations such as scientists, students and the unemployed pay lower than average rates.
- High credit scores save money – Your credit score is likely to be a major factor in determining premium rates. Drivers with excellent credit tend to be better risks to insure than drivers who have lower ratings. Therefore, if your credit could use some work, you may save money insuring your vehicle by taking the time to improve your credit score.
- Low mileage costs less – The higher the miles on your car each year the higher your rate. A lot of companies rate vehicles based upon how much you drive. Cars and trucks used primarily for pleasure use receive better premium rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. Double check that your declarations sheet is rated on the correct usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Your spouse saves you money – Being married actually saves money when buying car insurance. It is viewed as being less irresponsible and it’s statistically proven that married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
- Little extras can really add up – Insurance companies have many extra coverages that may not really be needed if you don’t pay attention. Add-on coverages like coverage for rental cars, towing, and motor club memberships may be wasting your money. They may seem good initially, but if you have no use for them remove them from your policy.
- Better premiums for continuous coverage – Having a lapse in insurance coverage can be a guaranteed way to drive up your policy premiums. And not only will insurance be more expensive, not being able to provide proof of insurance could earn you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You may have to file a SR-22 with the Idaho motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- See if your company offers a multi-policy discount – Most larger insurers will give better rates to buyers that buy multiple policies, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. The amount of the discounts can be ten percent or more. Even if you already get this discount, it’s still a good idea to check prices from other companies to ensure the best deal. You may still find lower rates by buying insurance from more than one company.
- Driver age impacts prices – Teenage drivers in Idaho are known to be easily distracted when at the wheel of a vehicle so car insurance rates are higher. Older, more experienced drivers are shown to be more cautious, cause fewer claims and accidents and are safer drivers.
Save $445 a year! What?
Well-known car insurance companies like State Farm and Allstate regularly use television and radio advertisements. They all seem to make an identical promise that you can save just by switching your coverage to them. That’s great but how can every company make the same claim? Here is how they do it.
Different companies have specific guidelines for the right customer that earns them a profit. One example of this type of driver might be between the ages of 30 and 50, owns their home, and drives less than 10,000 miles a year. A customer who fits that profile receive the lowest rate quotes and is almost guaranteed to save when switching.
Potential customers who don’t measure up to this ideal profile will get higher rates which leads to business not being written. Company advertisements say “drivers that switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” save the amount stated. That’s the way companies can truthfully advertise the way they do. Each company has different criteria, so you should compare as many as you can. It’s just not possible to know with any certainty which company will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Don’t give up on cheaper rates
Cheaper car insurance can be purchased on the web and also from your neighborhood New Plymouth agents, so you need to with both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance companies may not provide price quotes online and usually these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many cases where drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to regret that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The aim is to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest cost, but do not skimp to save money.
We just showed you many ways to get a better price on car insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding . You may even discover the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company. Some small companies may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
Additional Idaho car insurance resources
More tips and info about car insurance can be read at the Idaho Department of Insurance website. Consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, get help finding coverage, and read state legal mandates and laws.