Perplexed by the number of car insurance options in Mason City? Many other drivers are as well. Drivers have so many choices that it can turn into a challenge to find the perfect company for you.
Consumers should take time to shop coverage around periodically since rates change quite often. If you had the best deal a couple years back there may be better deals available now. So just block out anything you think you know about car insurance because we’re going to show you the proper way to find lower rates on car insurance.
Don’t overlook these six discounts
Car insurance companies don’t always publicize every discount in a way that’s easy to find, so here is a list both well-publicized as well as the least known savings tricks you should be using.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying insurance for multiple vehicles on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- No Claims – Drivers who don’t have accidents can save substantially as compared to bad drivers.
- Save over 55 – Older drivers can possibly qualify for reduced rates.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts could save 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Drive Safe and Save – Safe drivers can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than less cautious drivers.
- Theft Prevention System – Vehicles with anti-theft systems help deter theft and will save you 10% or more.
Keep in mind that most discounts do not apply the the whole policy. A few only apply to individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
To choose insurers with discount car insurance rates in Iowa, click this link.
Comprehensive Mason City Car Insurance Comparison Quotes
When shopping for car insurance there are multiple ways of comparing rates from different in Mason City, IAinsurance companies. The recommended way to compare insurance prices is to perform an online rate comparison. This is very easy and can be done using a couple different methods.
- The most efficient way to find low rates is a comparison rater form like this one (opens in new window). This method saves time by eliminating boring form submissions to each individual car insurance company. One form will get you rate comparisons from all major companies. This is perfect if you don’t have a lot of time.
- A different way to compare prices is to manually visit the website for every company you want to comare to complete their respective quote request forms. For instance, let’s say you want rates from USAA, Geico and American Family. You would have to spend time on each company’s site to enter your coverage information, which is why the first method is more popular.
For a list of links to insurance companies in Mason City, click here.
- The least recommended way of comparing rate quotes is driving to different Mason City agent offices. Shopping for car insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you prefer the professional advice of a licensed agent. It is possible to price shop online but still have the advice of a local agent and we’ll touch on that later.
It’s up to you which method you use, but make absolute certain that you use exactly the same coverages and limits for each price quote. If the quotes have higher or lower deductibles it will be next to impossible to decipher which rate is best in Mason City. Quoting even small variations in limits can mean a large discrepancy in price. Just keep in mind that obtaining a wide range of quotes helps locate the best rates.
Tailor your coverage to you
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Each situation is unique.
These are some specific questions can aid in determining if your insurance needs would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- Does my vehicle qualify for pleasure use?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
Car insurance coverage specifics
Having a good grasp of a car insurance policy helps when choosing which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. Car insurance terms can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement.
Coverage for medical payments
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for bills for rehabilitation expenses, EMT expenses and chiropractic care. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to all vehicle occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
This protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your vehicle.
Since many Iowa drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (20/40/15 in Iowa), their limits can quickly be used up. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a good idea.
Coverage for collisions
Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your vehicle from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers things like rolling your car, damaging your car on a curb, driving through your garage door, backing into a parked car and crashing into a ditch. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also raise the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for things like damage from a tornado or hurricane, theft, damage from flooding, vandalism and hail damage. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Coverage for liability
This protects you from injuries or damage you cause to other people or property in an accident. It protects you from claims by other people, and doesn’t cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see liability limits of 100/300/100 which stand for $100,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $300,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $100,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability can pay for claims such as attorney fees, emergency aid, loss of income, medical services and funeral expenses. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but buy as high a limit as you can afford. Iowa state law requires minimum liability limits of 20,000/40,000/15,000 but it’s recommended drivers buy higher limits.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
When trying to cut insurance costs, don’t be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many cases where drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits and learned later that it was a big error on their part. The aim is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
Cheaper car insurance can be sourced from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Mason City agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. There are still a few companies who may not provide you the ability to get quotes online and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
Insureds who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as policy cancellation, poor customer service, delays in responding to claim requests and even an unsatisfactory settlement offer. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a great new company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.