Shoppers have a choice when shopping for affordable Hyundai Sonata insurance. You can either waste hours driving around getting price quotes or use the internet to get rate quotes. There are more efficient ways to compare car insurance rates and we’ll show you the absolute fastest way to price shop coverage for a Hyundai and find the cheapest rates from both online companies and local agents.
Choosing the best insurance company for you is not rocket science. If you are paying for car insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to lower your premiums substantially using these techniques. Drivers just need to learn how to compare price quotes online.
Car Insurance Quote Comparison
Cutting your car insurance rates can be surprisingly simple. Consumers just need to spend a few minutes on the computer to compare quotes online from several insurance companies. This can be done in a couple of different ways.
- The best way to find the lowest comparison rates is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This method prevents you from having to do separate quotation requests for every car insurance company. A single, simple form gets you coverage quotes . It’s definitely the quickest method.
- A different way to shop for car insurance online requires you to visit the website for each individual company to request a price quote. For instance, we’ll assume you want to compare Nationwide, Esurance and Travelers. To get rate quotes you would need to take the time to go to each site and enter your information, which is why the first method is more popular.
To view a list of companies in your area, click here.
- The least efficient way to compare rates is to spend your day driving to and from local insurance agencies. Buying insurance online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you want the professional guidance of a licensed agent. Drivers can get prices online but buy from a local insurance agent. We’ll cover that shortly.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just ensure you’re using apples-to-apples information for each comparison quote. If the quotes have differing limits it will be impossible to determine the best price for your Hyundai Sonata.
Lower rates by qualifying for these six discounts
Companies do not list every discount very clearly, so here is a list some of the more common as well as the least known savings tricks you should be using. If you’re not getting every credit available, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Resident Student – Any of your kids living away from home attending college without a vehicle on campus may be able to be covered for less.
- Payment Method – By paying your policy upfront instead of making monthly payments you may reduce your total bill.
- Paperless Signup – Certain companies give back up to $50 simply for signing over the internet.
- Seat Belt Usage – Requiring all passengers to use a seat belt could cut 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking part in a driver safety course could save 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Drivers Education – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully complete driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
Drivers should understand that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way.
To see a list of providers who offer car insurance discounts, click here.
What coverages do I need?
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
These are some specific questions might point out if your situation could use an agent’s help.
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form. It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Car insurance coverage considerations
Knowing the specifics of your car insurance policy helps when choosing appropriate coverage and proper limits and deductibles. Car insurance terms can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
This coverage will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as vandalism, hail damage, hitting a bird and falling objects. The most your car insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision coverage protection
This pays for damage to your Sonata resulting from a collision with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as hitting a mailbox, crashing into a building, scraping a guard rail and damaging your car on a curb. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. Another option is to raise the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Medical expense insurance
Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for short-term medical expenses like prosthetic devices, funeral costs, hospital visits, surgery and doctor visits. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover you and your occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your Hyundai Sonata.
Due to the fact that many drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required, their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important.
Coverage for liability
This protects you from damage or injury you incur to other’s property or people. It protects you against other people’s claims, and doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see liability limits of 50/100/50 that means you have $50,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $100,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $50,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability can pay for claims like bail bonds, loss of income, emergency aid, repair costs for stationary objects and attorney fees. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but buy as high a limit as you can afford.