Expensive car insurance can take a big chunk out of your personal savings and make it hard to pay other bills. Comparing price quotes is a great way to help make ends meet.
Insurance companies such as Progressive, GEICO and Farmers Insurance continually hit you with ad campaigns and consumers find it hard to sift through the bull and find the best price available.
Where Can I Get Cheap Torrington Car Insurance?
To find the best car insurance prices, there are several ways to compare quotes from local in Torrington, WYcar insurance companies. The best method to find the lowest rates consists of obtaining rate quotes online. It is quite easy and can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
- The most efficient way to get quotes is an all-inclusive rate comparison click here to open form in new window. This form keeps you from doing repetitive form entry for each company you want a rate for. Just one form gets rate comparisons .
- A less efficient way to get quotes online consists of visiting each company’s website to complete their respective quote request forms. For sake of this example, let’s assume you want to compare GEICO, 21st Century and State Farm. To find out each rate you need to visit each site to enter your coverage information, and that’s why the first method is more popular.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Torrington, click here.
- The hardest way to get comparison rates is driving to and from local Torrington insurance agencies. Buying insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you have a need for the personal advice of a local Torrington agent. You can, however, comparison shop online and get advice from an agent in your area and you’ll learn how to do that later.
It’s up to you which method you use, but make absolute certain that you use the exact same coverage information with every price quote. If you are comparing mixed coverages it will be very difficult to determine the best price in Torrington. Just a small difference in coverages may result in large price differences. Keep in mind that obtaining a wide range of quotes will enable you to find the best price.
Do you qualify for a discount?
Companies don’t always advertise all available discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so we researched some of the more common and the harder-to-find ways to save on car insurance.
- Use Seat Belts – Requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- No Charge for an Accident – Some insurance companies allow you one accident before your rates go up if your claims history is clear for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Companies who offer life insurance give a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Sign Online – A few companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks just for signing your application over the internet.
- Discount for Good Grades – This discount can save 20 to 25%. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- Employee of Federal Government – Employees or retirees of the government can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
It’s important to understand that some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Just because it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you’re out of luck.
To choose insurance companies who offer car insurance discounts in Wyoming, click here.
Price shop online but buy from a local Torrington agent
A small number of people prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is just fine! The best thing about comparing rates online is the fact that you can find lower rates but still work with a licensed agent.
Upon completion of this simple form, your insurance data is sent to participating agents in Torrington who will return price quotes for your business. You don’t have to leave your house since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. It’s the lowest rates and an insurance agent to talk to.
Picking an insurer should depend on more than just the bottom line cost. Here are some questions to ask:
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
Two different types of car insurance agents
When searching for a reputable insurance agent or broker, there are a couple of types of agencies to choose from. Agents are classified as either independent or captive.
Captive agencies have only one company to place business with and some examples include AAA, Allstate and State Farm. These agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage.
Below is a short list of captive insurance agents in Torrington who may provide you with comparison quotes.
Farmers Insurance Group – 100 E 27th Ave – Torrington, WY 82240 – (307) 532-7161
Farm Bureau Insurance – 217 E 21st Ave – Torrington, WY 82240 – (307) 532-3197
Independent agents are not employed by any specific company so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your agent finds better pricing, the agent simply finds a different carrier without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing rates, it’s recommended you contact at a minimum one independent agency to have the most options to choose from.
Below are Torrington independent insurance agencies who can help you get price quote information.
WGN Agency – 110 E 21st Ave – Torrington, WY 82240 – (307) 532-4104
Farm Bureau Insurance – 217 E 21st Ave – Torrington, WY 82240 – (307) 532-3197
Triple C Insurances – 625 W Valley Rd – Torrington, WY 82240 – (307) 532-5542
To view a complete directory of Torrington insurance agents, visit this site.
Once you have acceptable answers to all your questions and an acceptable price quote, chances are good that you have found an insurance agent that can provide car insurance coverage. But remember, once you purchase a policy you can terminate coverage for any reason so never assume you are locked into any particular company with no way out.
Tailor your coverage to you
When buying the best car insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is a little different so your insurance needs to address that. For example, these questions might help in determining if you could use an agent’s help.
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
More detailed Wyoming car insurance information can be found at the Wyoming Insurance Department website. Wyoming consumers can discover disciplinary actions, download brochures, view agent and company licensing information, and find a variety of consumer forms.
Car insurance coverage breakdown
Learning about specific coverages of your policy aids in choosing the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement. Shown next are the usual coverages found on the average car insurance policy.
Collision coverage protection
Collision coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for things such as hitting a parking meter, colliding with a tree and colliding with another moving vehicle. This coverage can be expensive, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. Another option is to raise the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Medical expense insurance
Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for short-term medical expenses for rehabilitation expenses, prosthetic devices and doctor visits. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
Your UM/UIM coverage gives you protection when the “other guys” either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered claims include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and also any damage incurred to your vehicle.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (25/100/15), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is a good idea.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
This pays for damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims such as rock chips in glass, hitting a deer, fire damage and damage from getting keyed. The maximum amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Coverage for liability
This protects you from injuries or damage you cause to other’s property or people by causing an accident. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have liability limits of 100/300/100 that translate to a limit of $100,000 per injured person, $300,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $100,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage pays for claims such as repair bills for other people’s vehicles, medical expenses, structural damage and bail bonds. How much liability should you purchase? That is up to you, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. Wyoming state minimum liability requirements are 25,000/100,000/15,000 but drivers should carry better liability coverage.
Affordable car insurance is definitely available from both online companies in addition to many Torrington insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. There are still a few companies who do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
In this article, we covered a lot of information how to compare car insurance prices online. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. Consumers could even find that the biggest savings come from a small mutual company. Some small companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.