Locating cheaper Covington auto insurance may seem to be overwhelming for people that are relatively new to comparison shopping online. When there are so many insurers available, how are we expected to have time to compare every one to find better prices?
Getting a cheaper price on insurance can be surprisingly simple. All that’s required is to spend a few minutes on the computer comparing rates from online providers. This is very easy and can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The first (and easiest) way to get the best comparison quotes would be an industry-wide quote request form click here to open form in new window. This style of form eliminates the need for separate quote forms for each company you want a rate for. One form submission gets you price quotes from multiple low-cost companies. It’s the fastest way to compare.
- A harder way to shop for auto insurance online consists of going to the website for every company you want to comare and complete a new quote form. For example, we’ll pretend you need rates from USAA, Farmers and GEICO. To get each rate you have to visit each site to enter your coverage information, which explains why we recommend starting with the first method.
To view a list of companies in Covington, click here.
Compare rates however you want, just make sure you are using equivalent coverages and limits for each price quote. If you compare different data it’s not possible to make a fair comparison in Covington.
Don’t overlook these six auto insurance discounts
Car insurance companies don’t always list every disount available in an easy-to-find place, so the below list has both well-publicized in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that you may qualify for. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are just wasting money.
- Clubs and Organizations – Affiliation with qualifying employment or professional organizations could qualify you for a break when shopping for auto insurance.
- Telematics Discount – Covington drivers who agree to allow driving data submission to study driving habits by installing a telematics device like Allstate’s Drivewise might get better premium rates as long as they are good drivers.
- Driver Education Discount – Require your teen driver to take driver’s ed class in high school.
- Buy New and Save – Buying auto insurance coverage on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less due to better safety requirements for newer models.
- Online Discount – A handful of insurance companies will provide an incentive on their website.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying a policy with all your vehicles with one company can get a discount for every vehicle.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So despite the fact that it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
Some of the insurance companies that may have these benefits are:
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- American Family
- Farmers Insurance
- Auto-Owners Insurance
If you are trying to find , ask each company what discounts are available to you. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply to policies in your state. To choose auto insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in Covington, click here.
Specifics of your auto insurance policy
Learning about specific coverages of a auto insurance policy can help you determine which coverages you need for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims such as a tree branch falling on your vehicle, hitting a bird, falling objects, a broken windshield and hitting a deer. The most your auto insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Insurance for medical payments
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage pay for immediate expenses for pain medications, funeral costs, surgery and rehabilitation expenses. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Because many people only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (which is 25/50/15), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important.
Liability auto insurance
This provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property by causing an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. As an example, you may have policy limits of 50/100/50 that translate to $50,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $100,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $50,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability can pay for claims such as emergency aid, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and pain and suffering. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but buy as large an amount as possible. Tennessee requires drivers to carry at least 25,000/50,000/15,000 but you should consider buying more coverage.
Auto collision coverage
This covers damage to your vehicle caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against things like backing into a parked car, colliding with another moving vehicle, scraping a guard rail, driving through your garage door and crashing into a ditch. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to bump up the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
More tips and info about auto insurance can be read at the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance website. Visitors are able to find a variety of consumer forms, find disaster information, and file complaints about a company.
More related Covington auto insurance information:
- Covington Auto Insurance Agents Tips to Finding the Right One
- Car Insurance in Covington, KY 10 Discounts You May be Missing
Leave no stone unturned
We just showed you a lot of techniques to compare auto insurance car insurance rates online. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Drivers may discover the lowest car insurance rates come from a small local company.
Insureds change insurance companies for many reasons like being labeled a high risk driver, questionable increases in premium, poor customer service and extreme rates for teen drivers. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a new auto insurance company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s a bad idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. The goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate.