Buying affordable Sturgis auto insurance on the internet is impossible for consumers new to buying insurance online. With a ridiculous number of insurers available, how can Sturgis drivers effectively compare every company to locate the lowest price available?
It’s a good idea to do rate comparisons quite often since rates are variable and change quite frequently. Even if you got the best price a few years ago other companies may now be cheaper. You can find a lot of misleading information regarding auto insurance online, so we’re going to give you some great ways to find affordable auto insurance.
Tips to Get Lower Sturgis Rates
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that come into play when calculating your auto insurance rates. Understanding what controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to big savings.
The list below includes some of the factors used by your company to calculate prices.
- More people means more accidents – Being located in a rural area can be a good thing when buying auto insurance. Fewer people means reduced accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Drivers who live in large South Dakota cities tend to have much more traffic to deal with and longer commutes to work. Longer commute distances means more change of being in an accident.
- Theft deterrents lower rates – Driving a car with an alarm system can help bring down rates. Anti-theft features such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder your car from being stolen.
- Marriage brings a discount – Having a wife or husband can get you a discount on your auto insurance policy. It is viewed as being more mature than a single person it has been statistically shown that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Mature drivers pay less – Teen drivers in South Dakota tend to be more careless when driving so auto insurance rates are higher. Parents adding a teenage driver onto a policy can break the bank. More mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and get fewer tickets.
- More miles equals more premium – The more you drive every year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. The majority of insurers apply a rate based on their usage. Cars and trucks not used for work or commuting get more affordable rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Ask your agent if your auto insurance policy is showing the correct driver usage.
- Do you need the policy add-ons? – There are many add-on coverages you can purchase on your auto insurance policy. Things like rental car reimbursement, better glass coverage and additional equipment coverage are examples of these. They may seem good at first, but now you might not need them so remove them from your policy.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – Most companies will award you with lower prices to insureds who have multiple policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, it’s still a good idea to compare other company rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. You may still be able to find better rates by buying auto insurance from a different company.
Sturgis Auto Insurance Prices Online
There are a lot of ways to shop for auto insurance, but there is one way that is less labor-intensive and much quicker. You can waste a lot of time talking about coverages with agents in Sturgis, or you can utilize online quotes to get rates in a matter of minutes.
All the larger companies belong to an insurance system that enables customers to submit one quote, and each participating company then gives them pricing for coverage. This eliminates the need for quote forms for each company.
To participate in this free quote system, click here to open in new window.
The one disadvantage to using this type of form is that you can’t choose which carriers you want pricing from. So if you prefer to pick individual companies for rate comparison, we put together a list of auto insurance companies in South Dakota. View list of South Dakota insurance companies.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just make sure you use the exact same deductibles and coverage limits for each price quote. If you have different liability limits it’s not possible to determine the lowest rate in Sturgis. Just a small difference in insurance coverages can mean a large discrepancy in price. And when quoting auto insurance, remember that more quotes will increase your chances of finding a lower rate.
These discounts can slash auto insurance rates
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, buy you may qualify for discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at the time of purchase, but less common discounts must be requested specifically before being credited.
- Sign Online – Some insurance companies will give a small break simply for signing online.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Low mileage vehicles could be rewarded with a substantially lower rate.
- Safety Course Discount – Completing a course teaching defensive driving skills can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Passive Restraints – Factory air bags may earn rate discounts of 20% or more.
- Own a Home – Owning a home in Sturgis can help you save on auto insurance because owning a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems help deter theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Seat Belts Save – Requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could cut 10% or more off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- No Charge for an Accident – A handful of insurance companies permit an accident without raising rates so long as you haven’t had any claims for a set time period.
- Organization Discounts – Belonging to a qualifying organization could qualify you for a break on auto insurance.
Keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think you could get a free auto insurance policy, it just doesn’t work that way. But all discounts will reduce your premiums.
For a list of insurers with the best auto insurance discounts in Sturgis, click here.
When might I need the advice of an agent?
When choosing coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
For example, these questions could help you determine if your insurance needs could use an agent’s help.
- Is business property covered if stolen from my car?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in South Dakota?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in South Dakota?
If you can’t answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form.
Much more information about auto insurance in South Dakota can be read on the South Dakota Division of Insurance website found here. Visitors are able to download brochures, file complaints about a company, and get help finding coverage.
When shopping online for auto insurance, make sure you don’t buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. Too many times, an insured dropped physical damage coverage only to find out that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford.
Discount auto insurance can be purchased both online as well as from independent agents in Sturgis, so compare prices from both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies don’t offer you the ability to get quotes online and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
We’ve covered some good ideas how you can compare auto insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. Consumers may even find the best prices are with the least-expected company.