No car owner looks forward to buying car insurance, especially when they know the prices are way too high. Numerous insurance companies battle for your hard-earned dollar, so it’s not easy to compare every provider and get the definite lowest rate possible.
Car insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Car insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but there are discounts available that many people don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you get a quote, but a few must be requested specifically before being credited. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Early Payment Discounts – By making one initial payment rather than spreading payments over time you could save 5% or more.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars with ABS and/or traction control can stop better under adverse conditions and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Mature Driver Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you could receive a small discount on rates.
- First Accident Forgiveness – This one is not really a discount per se, but some insurance companies will forgive one accident without raising rates so long as you haven’t had any claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than their less cautious counterparts.
Discounts lower rates, but most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
A few of the larger companies and a partial list of their discounts are included below.
- Farm Bureau may offer discounts for 55 and retired, renewal discount, safe driver, driver training, good student, and multi-policy.
- Liberty Mutual includes discounts for new graduate, newly retired, teen driver discount, exclusive group savings, and new vehicle discount.
- State Farm may have discounts that include anti-theft, driver’s education, good student, accident-free, defensive driving training, and Drive Safe & Save.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may include discounts for paid in full, teen driver, multiple vehicles, anti-theft, and multi-policy.
- Geico has savings for membership and employees, daytime running lights, five-year accident-free, defensive driver, federal employee, multi-vehicle, and seat belt use.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for drive less, teen safe driver, anti-lock brakes, safe driver, bundle discounts, and teen safety rewards.
When getting , it’s a good idea to each company which credits you are entitled to. A few discounts might not be offered on policies everywhere. For a list of providers with discount rates in Richardson, click this link.
When comparison shopping, there are several ways to compare rate quotes from car insurance companies in your area. The easiest way by far to find cheaper rates consists of obtaining rate quotes online. This is quite simple and can be completed by using one of the methods below.
- The best way to compare a lot of rates at once is a comparison rater form (click to open form in new window). This type of form eliminates the need for separate forms for each company you want a rate for. A single, simple form gets you price quotes from car insurance companies with the best prices.
- A slightly less efficient method to get comparison quotes is spending the time to visit each individual company website and fill out their own quote form. For sake of this example, let’s say you want to compare prices for Nationwide, Liberty Mutual and Travelers. You would have to spend time going to each site individually to enter your coverage information, and that explains why we recommend the first method.
To view a list of companies in Richardson, click here.
- The least efficient and most time consuming way to quote and compare insurance rates is physically going to and from local Richardson insurance agencies. The internet eliminates this option unless you have a complicated situation and need the guidance of a licensed agent. If you prefer, some companies allow you to price shop online but have your policy serviced through an agent.
How you compare quotes is your choice, just ensure you’re using equivalent coverage data for every quote you compare. If you compare different liability limits it will be impossible to determine the best price in Richardson. Quoting even small variations in insurance coverages may result in large price differences. It’s important to know that making a lot of price comparisons helps locate a lower rate.
Buy cheaper car insurance with these tips
Lots of factors are used when you quote your car insurance policy. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving record, but other criteria are not as apparent like your vehicle usage or your vehicle rating.
- With age comes lower premiums – Mature drivers have been proven to be more responsible, file fewer claims , and usually have better credit.Youthful drivers are statistically proven to be easily distracted behind the wheel therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
- Don’t let your policy lapse – Not having insurance can get you a ticket and as a result your rates will increase for letting your insurance lapse for non-payment. Not only will rates go up, being ticketed for driving with no insurance may earn you a steep fine or even jail time.
- Rates go up with performance – The performance level of the car, truck or SUV you own makes a significant difference in the rate you pay. Low performance passenger vehicles usually have the lowest premiums, but your final cost has many other factors.
- Accidents can increase costs – Your driving citation history can have a huge impact on auto insurance premiums. Drivers who don’t get tickets get better rates compared to drivers with tickets. Even one speeding ticket or other violation can bump up the cost twenty percent or more. Drivers who have flagrant violations such as reckless driving or DUI are required to prove financial responsibility with their state’s licensing department in order to legally drive.
- Excellent credit means lower prices – A driver’s credit history factor in determining your rates. Insureds with high credit scores tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers who have worse credit. If your credit leaves room for improvement, you may save money insuring your vehicle by repairing your credit.
- Save money by raising deductibles – Comp and collision deductibles are the amount of money the insured will be required to pay before your car insurance pays a claim. Physical damage coverage, also called ‘full coverage’, insures against damage to your car. Examples of some claims that would be covered would be rearending another vehicle, vandalism, or theft of your vehicle. The more the insured has to pay upfront, the bigger discount you will receive.
How much car insurance do I need?
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there is no best way to insure your cars. Every situation is different so this has to be addressed. For instance, these questions may help highlight if you might need professional guidance.
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in Texas?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Don’t I need to get advice from an insurance agent?
A lot of people just prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is a personal choice. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get the best rates and still have a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, your insurance coverage information is emailed to agents in your area that can provide for your car insurance coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to search for an agent because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. You can find better rates without a big time investment. If you wish to compare prices from a specific company, you can always search and find their rate quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Finding the right insurance company requires you to look at more than just the price. These are valid questions to ask:
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- How long have they been in business?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Richardson?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
If you want to buy car insurance from a local agent, you should know the types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Richardson agents are classified as either captive agents or independent agents.
Captive Car Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be captive can usually just insure with one company like Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They usually cannot compare other company’s rates so you need to shop around if the rates are high. They are well schooled on their company’s products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Listed below is a list of captive agencies in Richardson willing to provide rate quotes.
State Farm Insurance – 777 S Central Expy # 1e – Richardson, TX 75080 – (972) 235-5228
Allstate Insurance – 1221 W Campbell Rd – Richardson, TX 75080 – (972) 248-3943
Agents that choose to be independent are appointed with more than one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with a variety of different insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If prices rise, your policy is moved internally and you don’t have to do anything.
If you need cheaper car insurance rates, you will definitely want to include rate quotes from a few independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
Below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Richardson willing to provide comparison quotes.
Martin Agency – 1411 E Campbell Rd # 1800 – Richardson, TX 75081 – (972) 437-2401
Dundee Insurance – 701 N Central Expy – Richardson, TX 75080 – (972) 437-1276
Don Carroll Agency – 2007 N Collins Blvd – Richardson, TX 75080 – (972) 669-1980
John Tang Insurance – 801 E Campbell Rd # 360 – Richardson, TX 75081 – (972) 238-7171
Sandy Garza Agency – 212 W Campbell Rd – Richardson, TX 75080 – (972) 889-1833
To choose from more Richardson insurance agents, here is a page of Richardson Texas car insurance agents.
One last thing
As you prepare to switch companies, never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many cases where an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that they should have had better coverage. The ultimate goal is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest cost, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Cheaper car insurance is attainable from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection. Some car insurance companies do not offer online quoting and many times these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent agents.
More Texas car insurance information
More detailed Texas car insurance information can be read at the Texas Department of Insurance website. Consumers can find a variety of consumer forms, discover disciplinary actions, learn about insurance regulations, and get help finding coverage.
The articles below may also help you learn more about car insurance in Richardson