Nobody enjoys paying for car insurance, especially when they are paying too much.
Drivers have so many insurance companies to choose from, and even though it’s nice to have a selection, it can be more challenging to adequately compare rates.
It is always a good idea to get comparison quotes every six months due to the fact that insurance rates are constantly changing. Even if you think you had the lowest rates on your last policy the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. There is a lot of wrong information about car insurance on the web, but with this article, you’re going to get some tested techniques to reduce your car insurance bill.
Finding affordable coverage in Chapel Hill is quite easy. In a nutshell, every vehicle owner who carries car insurance will more than likely be able to find better rates. Although North Carolina drivers must understand how the larger insurance companies market insurance on the web and apply this information to your search.
Comprehensive Chapel Hill Car Insurance Comparison
Performing a rate comparison can take time and effort if you don’t utilize the most efficient way. You can waste a lot of time discussing policy coverages with insurance companies in Chapel Hill, or you can stay home and use the internet to achieve your goal.
Most of the best insurance companies belong to a marketplace where prospective buyers send in one quote, and at least one company provides a quote based on that data. This prevents consumers from doing quote forms to each individual car insurance company.
To find out how much you’re overpaying now click here (opens in new window).
The single downside to getting quotes like this is that consumers can’t choose which insurance companies you want pricing from. If you wish to select specific providers for rate comparison, we have assembled a list of low cost car insurance companies in North Carolina. View list of North Carolina insurance companies.
Whichever method you choose, ensure you’re using identical coverages and limits for each price quote. If you are comparing different limits and deductibles on each one it will be very difficult to determine the lowest rate in Chapel Hill. Quoting even small variations in coverage limits can mean a large discrepancy in price. And when price shopping your coverage, comparing more company’s prices will improve the odds of getting the best rates.
Are you getting all your discounts?
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always advertise every discount very clearly, so here is a list both the well known and the more hidden ways to save on car insurance.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles with anti-theft systems help deter theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts can get savings up to 30%.
- Good Student Discount – This discount can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
- Auto/Home Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with the same insurance company you could get a discount of up to 20% off your total premium.
- No Claims – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can earn big discounts as compared to bad drivers.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a family member in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Life Insurance Discount – Some companies give better rates if you take out a life insurance policy as well.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% less than drivers with accidents.
Consumers should know that most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Just because it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you’re out of luck.
Buy Cheaper Car Insurance with These Tips
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that play a part in calculating car insurance rates. Knowing what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
- An active claims history can cost you – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can look forward to either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Auto insurance companies in North Carolina generally give cheaper rates to drivers who file claims infrequently. Your insurance policy is intended for larger claims.
- Sex matters – Statistics have proven that women are safer drivers than men. Now that doesn’t mean women are BETTER drivers than men. Women and men tend to get into accidents at a similar rate, but the males tend to have more serious accidents. They also have more aggressive citations such as reckless driving.
- Older drivers pay less – Youthful drivers in North Carolina are statistically proven to be less responsible in a vehicle so car insurance rates are higher. Mature drivers tend to be more responsible, file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel.
- Don’t let your coverage lapse – Driving without insurance is a misdemeanor and you will pay a penalty because you let your insurance lapse. Not only will rates go up, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance will get you a revoked license or a big fine.Then you may be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the North Carolina DMV.
- Rural vs Urban Areas – Being located in a small town can save you money when talking about car insurance. Less people living in that area translates into fewer accidents. Drivers who live in large North Carolina cities have traffic congestion and a longer drive to work. More time commuting translates into higher accident risk.
- High performance equals high price – The make and model of the vehicle you own makes a substantial difference in your rates. The lowest base rates are generally reserved for small economy passenger vehicles, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Rates may be lower depending on your job – Did you know your occupation can influence how much you pay for car insurance? Jobs such as lawyers, architects and dentists are shown to have the highest average rates due to high stress levels and lengthy work days. Other occupations such as scientists, historians and homemakers pay the least.
More detailed North Carolina car insurance information is located at the North Carolina Department of Insurance website. Consumers can learn about specific coverages, find disaster information, download brochures, and learn about insurance regulations.
One last thing
When buying insurance coverage, it’s a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are many occasions where someone dropped collision coverage and discovered at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The ultimate goal is to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford.
In this article, we presented many ideas to reduce car insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more you quote, the better your comparison will be. You may be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company. These smaller insurers often have lower prices on specific markets compared to the large companies like Progressive or GEICO.
Low-cost car insurance can be bought on the web and with local Chapel Hill insurance agents, and you should be comparing both so you have a total pricing picture. Some car insurance companies do not offer online quoting and these smaller companies work with independent agents.