Having to pay for overpriced auto insurance can eat up your savings and put the squeeze on your family’s finances. Comparing cost estimates is a smart way to tighten up your finances.
With vehicle owners having so many companies and agents to choose from, it is very difficult to find a more affordable insurance company.
Finding the best rates in Jonesboro is not that difficult. If you have insurance now or are shopping for new coverage, you can use these techniques to shop for the lowest rates and still get good coverage. Louisiana drivers just need to learn the tricks to compare rates online.
Comparing auto insurance rates can be challenging if you don’t know the fastest way to get free quotes. You can waste hours driving to local insurance agents in Jonesboro, or you can utilize the internet to maximize your effort.
Many companies participate in an industry program that allows shoppers to enter their coverage request one time, and each participating company provides a quote determined by their information. This eliminates the need for form submissions for every auto insurance company.
To submit your quote information now, click to open in new window.
The one disadvantage to getting quotes like this is you are unable to specify the providers to receive prices from. If you would rather choose individual companies to compare, we have assembled a list of companies who write auto insurance in Louisiana. View list of Louisiana insurance companies.
How you compare quotes is your choice, just make absolute certain that you use the same coverages on every price quote you get. If each company quotes different data you will not be able to find the best deal in Jonesboro.
Save $479 a year? Really?
Louisiana drivers can’t escape the ads for auto insurance savings by Allstate and Progressive. They all try to convey promises about savings if you move your auto insurance policy to them.
How does every company give you a better price?
Insurance providers look for specific characteristics for a prospective insured that will most likely be profitable. An example of a preferred risk could possibly be a female over age 40, has few claims, and insures a new vehicle. Any new insured who fits those characteristics will get a cheap rate quote and will save if they switch.
Potential insureds who do not meet these stringent criteria will probably be forced to pay higher prices and this can result in the customer not purchasing. The ads state “drivers who switch” but not “all drivers who get quotes” save that much when switching. That’s why insurance companies can confidently advertise the savings. Each company has different criteria, so you need to quotes as often as possible. It is impossible to predict with any certainty which company will have the lowest rate quotes.
Cheap Louisiana auto insurance quotes with discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available that can drop the cost substantially. A few discounts will be applied at the time of purchase, but lesser-known reductions have to be specially asked for before you get the savings.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Just owning your own home can help you save on auto insurance because maintaining a house requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Driver Safety – Taking part in a course teaching defensive driver skills can save you 5% or more and also improve your driving technique.
- Seat Belt Usage – Requiring all passengers to buckle up could save 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Low Mileage – Driving less could be rewarded with substantially lower premium rates.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Federal government employees could cut as much as 10% off with a few auto insurance companies.
- Military Discounts – Having a deployed family member may lower your rates slightly.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars and trucks equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems have a lower chance of being stolen and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Full Payment Discount – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of monthly or quarterly installments you may have a lower total premium amount.
Discounts save money, but please remember that some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though the math looks like you can get free auto insurance, that’s just not realistic.
A list of auto insurance companies and a selection of discounts can be read below.
- State Farm discounts include Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, student away at school, good driver, anti-theft, and driver’s education.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for distant student, youthful driver, electronic funds transfer, mature driver, alternative fuel, homeowner, and teen driver.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, good student, online quote discount, and continuous coverage.
- GEICO offers discounts including multi-vehicle, defensive driver, driver training, membership and employees, multi-policy, and anti-theft.
- Auto-Owners Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including company car, mature driver, multiple vehicles, anti-lock brakes, and anti-theft.
- The Hartford offers discounts for air bag, good student, bundle, vehicle fuel type, driver training, and anti-theft.
- Farm Bureau may have discounts that include driver training, safe driver, multi-vehicle, good student, multi-policy, and 55 and retired.
- USAA may include discounts for military installation, driver training, loyalty savings, annual mileage, and multi-policy.
When getting , it’s a good idea to every prospective company how many discounts you can get. Some discounts listed above might not apply in every state.
Coverages available on your policy
Knowing the specifics of a auto insurance policy can help you determine the right coverages for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Below you’ll find typical coverages found on the average auto insurance policy.
Coverage for liability – This coverage will cover injuries or damage you cause to people or other property. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show limits of 50/100/50 that translate to a $50,000 limit per person for injuries, a total of $100,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $50,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability can pay for claims like loss of income, pain and suffering, attorney fees and repair costs for stationary objects. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. Louisiana state minimum liability requirements are 15,000/30,000/25,000 but drivers should carry more liability than the minimum.
UM/UIM Coverage – This coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. It can pay for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your vehicle.
Since many Louisiana drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (15/30/25), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Collision – Collision insurance pays for damage to your vehicle resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for claims like damaging your car on a curb, scraping a guard rail, sideswiping another vehicle, hitting a mailbox and driving through your garage door. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. Drivers also have the option to choose a higher deductible to bring the cost down.
Medical costs insurance – Med pay and PIP coverage pay for short-term medical expenses for things like doctor visits, hospital visits and X-ray expenses. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision – Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as vandalism, falling objects, damage from a tornado or hurricane and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The maximum payout your auto insurance company will pay is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Cheaper coverage is out there
When searching for , do not buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many cases where drivers have reduced physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big error on their part. Your aim should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest cost and still be able to protect your assets.
Some insurance companies may not offer the ability to get quotes online and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agents. Cost effective auto insurance can be purchased on the web in addition to many Jonesboro insurance agents, so you need to compare both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
We just showed you many tips how you can shop for auto insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting . You may be surprised to find that the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a small local company. Smaller companies often have lower prices on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
Additional detailed information is available at the Louisiana Department of Insurance website. Consumers can discover disciplinary actions, find disaster information, find out which companies have the most complaints, and read state legal mandates and laws.
Other related articles: