There isn’t anyone who is fond of buying car insurance, in particular when they could find lower prices if they just compared rates. Multiple insurance companies compete for your hard-earned dollar, so it’s not easy to compare every provider to discover the definitive best price available.
There are several ways you can shop for car insurance but one way is more efficient than others. You can waste hours discussing policy coverages with insurance agencies in Vivian, or you could use online quoting to get prices fast.
Many of the larger companies enroll in a system that enables customers to enter their coverage request one time, and each company can give them a price based on that information. This prevents consumers from doing form submissions to each individual car insurance company.
To find out what other companies charge click here to open in new window.
The only drawback to getting quotes like this is you don’t know exactly the companies you want pricing from. So if you prefer to choose specific providers to compare rates, we have assembled a list of the cheapest car insurance companies in Louisiana. View list of Louisiana insurance companies.
It’s up to you which method you use, but be sure you’re using nearly identical coverage limits and deductibles for every quote you compare. If you compare different values for each quote it will be nearly impossible to make an equal comparison in Vivian.
Do you really save 40% when you switch?
Louisiana consumers get pounded daily by advertisements that claim the lowest prices by companies like Allstate and Progressive. They all state the claim about saving some big amount if you change your car insurance policy to them.
How does every company cost less than your current company? It’s all in how they say it.
Companies have underwriting criteria for a prospective insured that earns them a profit. A good example of a profitable customer might have to be between 25 and 40, carries full coverage, and has a short commute. Any customer that hits that “sweet spot” will probably get cheap auto insurance rates and have a good chance to save a lot if they switch.
Consumers who may not quite match the requirements will get a more expensive rate with the end result being business going elsewhere. If you pay attention, the ads say “drivers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much when switching. This is how companies can make claims like that. Because of these techniques, it is so important to quotes as often as possible. It is impossible to guess which insurance companies will fit you best based on your risk profile.
Components of your insurance premiums
Multiple criteria are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. Most are fairly basic such as your driving history, although others are more transparent like your continuous coverage or your commute time.
- Drive less and save – Driving a lot of miles in a year’s time the higher the price you pay to insure it. A lot of insurance companies calculate rates based on how the vehicle is used. Vehicles that do not get driven very much receive lower rates compared to those used for work or business. Make sure your car insurance declarations sheet correctly shows how each vehicle is driven, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Experienced drivers are lower risk – Young drivers in Louisiana are statistically proven to get distracted easily behind the wheel and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher. Older people are more responsible, are lower risk to insure and are safer drivers.
- Traffic violations drive up costs – Drivers who don’t get tickets tend to pay less for car insurance as compared to those with violations. Having a single chargable violation can increase the cost of insurance substantially. Drivers who get multiple citations such as DUI or reckless driving may face state-mandated requirements to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with the DMV in their state in order to keep their license.
- Safer cars cost less to insure – Cars with high safety ratings can get you lower premiums. Vehicles built for safety reduce occupant injuries and fewer serious injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and lower rates for you. If your car or truck is rated at least four stars on Safercar.gov it may be receiving lower rates.
- More than one policy can earn a discount – The majority of companies will give a discount to clients who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount you may still want to check prices from other companies to help ensure you have the lowest rates.There is a good possibility that you can find better rates by buying car insurance from a different company.
- City dwellers may pay more – Being located in a small town has it’s advantages if you are looking for the lowest rates. Less people means less chance of accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft. People in densly populated areas tend to have more auto accidents and a longer drive to work. Higher commute times statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
Double check you’re getting these discounts
Car insurance companies do not list the entire discount list in an easy-to-find place, so the list below gives a summary of a few of the more common as well as the least known credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Employee of Federal Government – Employees or retirees of the government may qualify for a discount when you with a few car insurance companies.
- Professional Memberships – Having an affiliation with a qualifying organization may earn a discount on car insurance.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Purchasing coverage when you have several vehicles with the same car insurance company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you can bundle your auto and home insurance with the same insurance company you could earn a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Distant College Student Discount – Any of your kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from home without a vehicle on campus may qualify for this discount.
- 55 and Retired – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens are able to get a slight reduction on a .
- Accident-Free Discounts – Good drivers with no accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on in comparison to accident-prone drivers.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Owning a house in Vivian can get you a discount due to the fact that maintaining a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents can pay as much as 50% less compared to accident prone drivers.
- Auto/Life Discount – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
As is typical with insurance, most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Even though it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it just doesn’t work that way. But all discounts will bring down your premiums.
If you would like to view insurers that offer some of these discounts in Louisiana, follow this link.
Your car insurance coverage should be tailored to you
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no one size fits all plan. Every situation is different so your insurance should reflect that For example, these questions can help discover if your situation could use an agent’s help.
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
If you can’t answer these questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Buying from auto insurance agents
Many drivers just prefer to visit with an insurance agent. Agents can point out coverage gaps and help file insurance claims. One of the benefits of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get better rates and still have a local agent.
By using this short form, the quote information is sent to insurance agents in Vivian that can provide for your insurance coverage. You won’t need to contact an agency because prices are sent straight to your inbox. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, don’t hesitate to search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Deciding on an insurance company shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- How often do they review coverages?
- If your car is totalled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
If you prefer to buy car insurance from an insurance agent, it’s helpful to know the different types of agencies and how they function. Car insurance agencies may be either captive or independent (non-captive). Both types can insure your vehicles, but it is important to understand how they differ because it can influence which agent you choose.
Agents in the captive channel can only place business with one company such as American Family, State Farm, and AAA. These agents are not able to provide rate quotes from other companies so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. These agents are highly trained on sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents.
Listed below is a list of captive insurance agents in Vivian that can give you price quotes.
State Farm Insurance – 713 S Pine St – Vivian, LA 71082 – (318) 375-3497
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can sell policies from many different companies so they can write business with multiple insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, your agent can switch companies which requires no work on your part. If you are comparing rate quotes, you should always get several quotes from several independent insurance agents to get the best comparison.
Smart shoppers get results
Lower-priced car insurance can be purchased from both online companies and with local Vivian insurance agents, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some car insurance companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through independent agents.
When shopping online for car insurance, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, an insured dropped collision coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The ultimate goal is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest cost while still protecting your assets.
Read more about Louisiana car insurance
Even more information is located at the Louisiana Department of Insurance website. Louisiana consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, find out which companies have the most complaints, learn about specific coverages, and read state legal mandates and laws.