Searching for the lowest cost New York auto insurance over the internet may be challenging for consumers new to buying insurance on the web. Since there are so many insurance companies available, how can anyone effectively compare every one to find the best pricing?
Buying car insurance in New York is quite easy. If you have insurance now or need a new policy, you will benefit by learning to reduce the price you pay and still get good coverage. New York drivers only need to know the most efficient way to get comparison quotes online.
Comprehensive New York Auto Insurance Comparison
Getting a lower price on insurance is not rocket science. Drivers just need to take a few minutes to compare rate quotes provided by online insurance companies. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The fastest way to compare a lot of rates at once would be an industry-wide quote request form click here to open form in new window. This method saves time by eliminating repetitive form submissions for each company. One form compares rates from all major companies. Just one form and you’re done.
- A slightly less efficient method to compare rate quotes requires visiting each individual company website and fill out their own quote form. For example, we’ll pretend you want to compare rates from Nationwide, Progressive and Travelers. You would have to visit each site to enter your coverage information, which is why the first method is quicker.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in New York, click here.
- The least recommended way to compare rates is to drive around to insurance agents’ offices. The ability to buy insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you have a need for the personal advice of a local New York agent. Drivers can get the lowest quotes online but still have the advice of a local agent.
It’s your choice how you get your quotes, but be sure to compare identical coverage limits for each price quote. If each company quotes mixed coverages it’s not possible to find the best deal in New York.
Can switching companies really save?
Consumers can’t ignore all the ads for cheaper car insurance from companies such as State Farm, Allstate and Geico. They all seem to say the same thing that you can save if you move your policy.
But how can every company make the same claim?
All companies have a preferred profile for the type of customer that earns them a profit. For instance, a profitable customer could be between the ages of 30 and 50, has no tickets, and has excellent credit. A customer who fits that profile gets the lowest rates and most likely will cut their rates substantially.
Drivers who are not a match for the “perfect” profile must pay more money and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ad wording is “people who switch” not “people who quote” save that much money. That’s the way insurance companies can make those claims. This illustrates why you need to get as many quotes as possible. It’s impossible to know which auto insurance company will fit your personal profile best.
What determines how much you pay?
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that come into play when calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. Understanding what influences your rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in better auto insurance rates.
- Never allow your policy to lapse – Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse is a guaranteed way to pay more for auto insurance. Not only will rates go up, getting caught without coverage can result in a steep fine or even jail time.You may have to file a SR-22 with the New York department of motor vehicles.
- More performance means more cost – The type of vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a big difference in your rates. Lower performance four cylinder passenger cars usually have the lowest rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Safer occupants lowers premiums – Vehicles with good safety scores get lower rates. These vehicles result in less severe injuries and fewer injuries means lower claim amounts passed on to you as lower rates.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – Companies in New York generally give discounts to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you file claims often, you can expect higher rates. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for the large, substantial claims.
- Do you work long hours in a high stress job? – Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Jobs such as real estate brokers, social workers and accountants have higher rates than average because of high stress levels and long work hours. On the flip side, occupations like scientists, athletes and homemakers get better rates.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don’t list all available discounts very clearly, so we break down some of the more common as well as the least known auto insurance savings. If you’re not getting every credit available, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Student Driver Training – Cut your cost by having your teen driver enroll in driver’s education in high school.
- Seat Belts Save – Requiring all passengers to use a seat belt could save 15% off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Distant Student – Any of your kids who live away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- No Charge for an Accident – Some insurance companies permit an accident before hitting you with a surcharge if your claims history is clear prior to the accident.
- Military Discounts – Having a family member in the military can result in better rates.
Drivers should understand that most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
To see a list of providers with the best auto insurance discounts in New York, click here to view.
Neighborhood insurance agents
A small number of people would prefer to talk to a local agent and that is a personal choice. Educated insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and give you peace of mind. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is you may find the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is submitted to companies in New York who will return price quotes for your business. You don’t have to drive around since price quotes are sent to your email. Now that’s easy!
Picking an provider should depend on more than just a low price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- If your car is totalled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in New York?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
Different types of insurance agencies in New York
If you’re trying to find an insurance agent, there are two types of agencies from which to choose. Insurance agencies in New York are classified as either independent or captive. Both types can write coverage properly, but it’s worth mentioning how they are different since it may influence the type of agent you choose
This type of agents are contracted to one company such as State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. They usually cannot give you multiple price quotes so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captive agencies are trained well on the products they sell and that can be a competitive advantage. Some people will only buy from captive agents mostly because of the brand legacy and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Below are New York captive agents willing to provide price quotes.
- Allstate Insurance Co – 59 Saint James Pl – New York, NY 10038 – (212) 608-3687
- American Family Celebration – 275 7th Ave – New York, NY 10001 – (212) 206-1066
- Liberty Mutual Insurance – 1133 Avenue Of The Americas – New York, NY 10036 – (212) 391-7500
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents are not locked into one company so they have the ability to put coverage with multiple insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can switch companies and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When comparing rates, it’s recommended you get quotes from several independent insurance agents to get the best comparison. They also have the ability to place coverage with lesser-known insurance companies which can be an advantage.
Below are New York independent insurance agencies that are able to give rate quotes.
- Argonaut Insurance – 500 5th Ave – New York, NY 10110 – (212) 852-4850
- Fleetwood Agency Inc – 108 Greenwich St # 700 – New York, NY 10006 – (212) 968-9100
- Madison Park Title Agency – 1 Chase Manhattan Plz # 23 – New York, NY 10005 – (212) 231-3351
- Blumberg Agency – 420 Lexington Ave # 540 – New York, NY 10170 – (212) 953-6868
- Global Reinsurance Co – 1345 Avenue Of The Americas – New York, NY 10105 – (212) 225-1000
To view a complete directory of auto insurance agents in New York, please view this page.
Upon receiving acceptable answers in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you may have just found a car insurance agent that meets your needs to insure your vehicles.
One last thing about your coverage
Affordable auto insurance is available both online in addition to many New York insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best rate selection. Some auto insurance companies do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
We covered many tips how you can save on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even discover the lowest rates come from some of the smallest insurance companies.
People leave their current company for any number of reasons including lack of trust in their agent, unfair underwriting practices, not issuing a premium refund and even denial of a claim. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching auto insurance companies is easier than you think.
Even more information can be read at the New York Department of Financial Services website. New York consumers can read industry bulletins, find a variety of consumer forms, report car insurance fraud, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.