Finding lower rates for Riverton car insurance can seem to be difficult for beginners to comparison shopping online. Drivers have so many choices that it can easily become more work than you anticipated to locate the lowest price in Riverton.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will most likely be able to reduce your rates substantially using this strategy. Buying the best car insurance in Riverton is quite easy. Although Wyoming consumers do need to understand how insurance companies sell insurance online.
Lots of discounts mean lots of savings
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but you can get discounts to help bring down the price. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you purchase, but lesser-known reductions have to be manually applied prior to getting the savings.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking a course in driver safety can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
- Clubs and Organizations – Affiliation with a qualifying organization may earn a discount on car insurance.
- Anti-theft System – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems help deter theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with the same insurance company you may earn up to 20% off your total premium.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a family member in the military can result in better rates.
- Good Student – This discount can get you a discount of up to 25%. The good student discount can last until age 25.
- Seat Belt Usage – Requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could cut 10% or more off your medical payments premium.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Select insurance companies reward you with lower rates if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
A little note about advertised discounts, some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies don’t profit that way. But any discount will help reduce your premiums.
For a list of companies offering car insurance discounts in Wyoming, follow this link.
Your local neighborhood insurance agent
Certain consumers prefer to talk to a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is you can get better rates but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting local agencies is important particularly in Riverton.
Once you complete this short form, your insurance coverage information is immediately sent to companies in Riverton who will compete for your coverage. There is no need to visit any agencies due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. You’ll get the best rates AND a local agent.
Below are agents in Riverton that may be willing to give price quotes.
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 824 Forest Dr, Riverton, WY 82501 – (307) 856-9091
- Bonser Insurance – 214 N Broadway Ave, Riverton, WY 82501 – (307) 856-8667
- State Farm Insurance – 618 E Washington Ave, Riverton, WY 82501 – (307) 856-4118
- Allstate Insurance – 106 N 3rd St E, Riverton, WY 82501 – (307) 856-6573
- Lynn Paskett Insurance – 3033 W Main St, Riverton, WY 82501 – (307) 856-5278
- Farmers Insurance Group – 113 S 2nd St E, Riverton, WY 82501 – (307) 856-4439
For a full directory of car insurance agents in Riverton, view this link.
Selecting an insurance company needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Wyoming?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- How are claims handled?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- If your car is totalled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
Once you have positive feedback to your questions and an acceptable price quote, you have narrowed it down to a company that will provide car insurance coverage. But keep in mind policyholders can cancel coverage any time you want so don’t think that you are obligated to any particular company for the entire policy term.
Car insurance specifics
Knowing the specifics of a car insurance policy aids in choosing appropriate coverage and the correct deductibles and limits. Car insurance terms can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) – This provides protection from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and also any damage incurred to your vehicle.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (25/100/15 in Wyoming), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages should not be overlooked. Frequently these limits do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for expenses such as prosthetic devices, chiropractic care and rehabilitation expenses. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers all vehicle occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Comprehensive insurance – Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as a tree branch falling on your vehicle, fire damage and hitting a deer. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision coverage – This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision can pay for things like crashing into a building, crashing into a ditch, rolling your car, damaging your car on a curb and backing into a parked car. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are older. It’s also possible to increase the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Liability car insurance – This coverage protects you from damage that occurs to people or other property that is your fault. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see values of 25/50/25 which means a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged propery. Some companies may use one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which provides one coverage limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage protects against things like bail bonds, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, legal defense fees and loss of income. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying higher limits if possible. Wyoming requires drivers to carry at least 25,000/100,000/15,000 but you should think about purchasing more coverage.
Additional car insurance information is located on the Wyoming Insurance Department website found here. Wyoming consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, read state legal mandates and laws, view a list of available companies, and get help finding coverage.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
Consumers switch companies for a number of reasons such as being labeled a high risk driver, policy non-renewal, delays in paying claims and not issuing a premium refund. Regardless of your reason, switching car insurance companies is less work than it seems.
Cost effective car insurance is attainable online and also from your neighborhood Riverton agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies may not provide online price quotes and usually these smaller companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, don’t be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed collision coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your strategy should be to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate.