Are you a victim of an overpriced auto insurance policy? Trust us when we tell you many Canton consumers feel financially strained by their auto insurance policy. Companies like GEICO, 21st Century and Progressive continually hit you with TV and radio ads and consumers find it hard to sift through the bull and find the best price available.
It is always a good idea to take a look at other company’s rates every six months because insurance rates are variable and change quite frequently. Just because you had the best rates last year there is a good chance you can find better rates now. You’ll find quite a bit of inaccurate information about auto insurance online but I’m going to show you a lot of great tips on how to reduce your auto insurance bill.
Compare Auto Insurance Today
Performing a rate comparison can be a lot of work if you don’t understand the most efficient way. You could waste a few hours talking about coverages with insurance companies in Canton, or you can stay home and use the web to quickly compare rates.
Most of the best insurance companies take part in a program that allows shoppers to enter their coverage request one time, and each participating company then returns a price quote based on that data. This system prevents you from having to do quote forms to every company.
To fill out one form to compare multiple rates now click to open in new window.
The only downside to using this type of form is you don’t know exactly the providers you will receive quotes from. So if you prefer to pick specific insurance companies to compare rates, we have assembled a list of auto insurance companies in Mississippi. Click here for list of insurance companies in Mississippi.
However you get your quotes, compare the exact same quote information on every quote you get. If the quotes have differing limits it’s not possible to decipher which rate is best in Canton.
Policy discounts you shouldn’t miss
Car insurance is not cheap, but you may find discounts to help offset the cost. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be asked for in order for you to get them. If you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you are throwing money away.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your bill all at once instead of making monthly payments you may reduce your total bill.
- 55 and Retired – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may receive a small decrease in premiums.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accidents.
- Discount for Good Grades – Performing well in school can get you a discount of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
- Distant Student – Any of your kids who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Anti-theft and alarm systems help deter theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
Consumers should know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like you could get a free auto insurance policy, you’re out of luck. But any discount will cut your premiums.
To see a list of companies with discount auto insurance rates in Canton, click here to view.
Comparing rates from local agents
A small number of people prefer to visit with an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Licensed agents can help determine the best coverages and help submit paperwork. The best thing about comparing rates online is that you can obtain lower rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying from local agencies is especially important in Canton.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents who will battle for your business. There is no need to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. It doesn’t get any easier!
Independent or Captive: It’s your choice
When researching local Canton agents, there are two types of insurance agents from which to choose. Agents are categorized either captive or independent. Either one can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn the differences since it may influence the type of agent you choose
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies are not required to write business for one company but instead can place your coverage with lots of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply move the coverage in-house and that require little work on your part.
When comparison shopping, it’s a good idea to include price quotes from several independent insurance agents to get the best comparison.
The following is a list of independent insurance agencies in Canton willing to provide pricing information.
Farm Bureau Insurance – 211 N Hargon St – Canton, MS 39046 – (601) 859-3215
Lacy and Assoc Insurance – 421 W Peace St # 9 – Canton, MS 39046 – (601) 859-2627
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agencies work for only one company and examples are State Farm or Allstate. Captives cannot place coverage with different providers so keep that in mind. Captives are usually quite knowledgeable in insurance sales which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Shown below are Canton captive insurance agents willing to provide price quote information.
Farm Bureau Insurance – 211 N Hargon St – Canton, MS 39046 – (601) 859-3215
State Farm Insurance – 209 Meadowlark Dr – Canton, MS 39046 – (601) 859-8554
For a complete listing of Canton captive agents, visit this link.
Deciding on a car insurance agent requires more thought than just the price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- How many years of experience in personal lines insurance coverages do they have?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
Upon getting positive feedback to all your questions and locked in a price quote, you’ve probably found an insurance agent that is a good match to properly service your auto insurance policy.
It’s not one size fits all
When it comes to choosing coverage, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Each situation is unique so your insurance should reflect that For instance, these questions could help you determine if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Mississippi minimum liability coverage?
- Does my personal auto insurance policy cover using my vehicle for business use?
- How much liability coverage do I need in Mississippi?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Make smart decisions and save
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the elements that come into play when calculating auto insurance rates. Understanding what controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with better auto insurance rates.
- Males pay more for insurance – Statistics have proven that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, this does not mean women are BETTER drivers than men. Both sexes cause accidents in similar numbers, but the males have costlier accidents. They also have more aggressive citations like DUI and reckless driving. Teenage male drivers are several times more likely to be in an accident and are penalized with high auto insurance rates.
- Drive a safer car and pay less – Vehicles with high crash test scores are cheaper to insure. Safe vehicles have better occupant injury protection and lower injury rates means lower claim amounts passed on to you as lower rates.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Purchasing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention features like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all aid in stopping your car from being stolen.
- Careful drivers pay lower rates – Whether or not you get tickets has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Good drivers tend to pay less for car insurance compared to drivers with tickets. Even a single speeding ticket can increase rates by twenty percent. Drivers with flagrant tickets such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions are required to file a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to keep their license.
- Your credit rating is important – A driver’s credit rating is a large factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. People with high credit scores tend to be more responsible than those with lower credit ratings. If your credit can use some improvement, you could potentially save money when insuring your by improving your credit score.
- Please use or commuting – The higher the mileage driven every year the higher your rate. Most companies apply a rate determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks used primarily for pleasure use receive lower rates compared to those used for work or business. Double check that your auto insurance declarations sheet is rated on the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Lower rates come with age – Young drivers in Mississippi are statistically proven to be less responsible when behind the wheel so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Older insureds tend to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and are safer drivers.
Quote often and quote early
Lower-priced auto insurance is possible both online and with local Canton insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies do not offer online quoting and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
We covered a lot of ways to compare auto insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even find the best price on auto insurance is with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. These smaller insurers may cover specific market segments cheaper compared to the large companies like GEICO and State Farm.
To learn even more about auto insurance
Additional auto insurance information is available on the website for the Mississippi Insurance Department found here. Visitors are able to view a list of available companies, read industry bulletins, find disaster information, and report car insurance fraud.
The articles below may also help you learn more about auto insurance in Canton