No one cherishes buying car insurance, especially when the cost is way too high. Multiple insurance companies compete for your business, and it can be difficult to compare rates to discover the definitive lowest rate possible.
It’s a good idea to compare prices periodically since rates are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Even if you got the lowest price a year ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. So just forget all the misinformation about car insurance because I’m going to teach you how to quote online to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
If you have a current car insurance policy or are shopping for new coverage, you can use this information to shop for the lowest rates while maintaining coverages. Choosing the best insurance company for you in Clive is not rocket science. Iowa vehicle owners only need to know the most efficient way to shop their coverage around on the web.
Automobile Insurance Quotes in Clive
There are a lot of ways to shop for car insurance, but there is one way that is less time-consuming than others. You could spend your day talking to local insurance agents in Clive, or you could use online quotes to accomplish the same thing much quicker.
Many companies belong to an insurance system where insurance shoppers only type in their quote data once, and at least one company then returns a price quote for coverage. This saves time by eliminating quote forms to each company.
To use this form to compare rates click here to start a free quote.
The one disadvantage to doing it this way is buyers cannot specifically choose the companies you will receive quotes from. So if you want to choose specific providers to compare, we have a listing of car insurance companies in Iowa. View list of Iowa insurance companies.
It’s your choice how you get your quotes, but make absolute certain that you use apples-to-apples coverages for every company. If you compare different limits and deductibles on each one then you won’t be able to determine the best price in Clive.
Are you getting all your discounts?
Car insurance companies don’t always advertise all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the following is a list of both the well known and the harder-to-find ways to save on car insurance. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Homeowners Discount – Being a homeowner may earn you a small savings because of the fact that having a home shows financial diligence.
- Life Insurance – Some companies give lower rates if you buy life insurance.
- E-sign – Certain companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks just for signing your application online.
- Low Mileage – Low mileage vehicles could be rewarded with discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt can save 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking a defensive driving course can save you 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Driver’s Ed – Cut your cost by having your teen driver enroll in driver’s education if offered at their school.
- Club Memberships – Affiliation with a professional or civic organization is a good way to get lower rates on car insurance.
- Payment Method – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given the the whole policy. Most only apply to individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like you can get free auto insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Learn How to Lower your Rates
It’s important that you understand the factors that come into play when calculating car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates enables informed choices that will entitle you to lower car insurance prices.
The list below includes some of the factors car insurance companies consider when setting prices.
- Liability coverage protects you – Liability coverage is the protection in the event that you are found to be at fault for personal injury or accident damage. Liability provides you with a defense in court which can be incredibly expensive. Liability is cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not skimp.
- Bump up deductibles to save – Your deductibles define the amount you are required to spend out-of-pocket before your car insurance pays a claim. Physical damage insurance, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. A few examples of covered claims would be running into the backend of another car, vandalism, or theft. The more you have to pay, the less your car insurance will be.
- Frequent car insurance claims increase rates – Insurance companies in Iowa generally give cheaper rates to insureds who are claim-free. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- What type of vehicle do you drive? – The performance of the vehicle you are insuring makes a huge difference in the rate you pay. The most favorable rates are generally reserved for lower performance four cylinder passenger vehicles, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Mature drivers pay less – Older insureds tend to be more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and receive fewer citations. Youthful drivers are statistically proven to be less responsible when behind the wheel therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
What about my local Clive agents?
Certain consumers would rather talk to a local agent and that is OK! Good agents can point out coverage gaps and help you file claims. The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is you can get better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
By using this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is immediately sent to insurance agents in Clive who will battle for your coverage. There is no reason to leave your house since price quotes are sent immediately to your email address. How cool is that?!
Choosing a company requires more thought than just the premium amount. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
Compare rates from both independent and captive auto insurance agents
If you’re trying to find an insurance agent, there are a couple of types of insurance agents from which to choose. Agents are classified as either independent (non-captive) or captive. Both write coverage properly, but it’s important to know the differences because it can influence the type of agent you choose
Captive agents are contracted to one company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they have to upsell other benefits. Captives receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage.
Below are captive insurance agents in Clive willing to provide price quote information.
Allstate Insurance – 8980 Hickman Rd # 206 – Clive, IA 50325 – (515) 276-2541
American Family Insurance – 8450 Hickman Rd # 14d – Clive, IA 50325 – (515) 278-6132
Shelter Insurance – 11140 Hickman Rd – Clive, IA 50325 – (515) 278-9886
State Farm Insurance – 13435 University Ave # 550 – Clive, IA 50325 – (515) 226-9956
Independent agencies do not work for one specific company but rather can write business amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. If your agent finds better pricing, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing rates, we recommend you get quotes from at least one independent agent for maximum quote selection.
The following are independent insurance agents in Clive willing to provide price quote information.
Jim Gengler Agency Inc – 8350 Hickman Rd # 120 – Clive, IA 50325 – (515) 276-6960
Horace Mann Insurance Co – 10888 Hickman Rd # D – Clive, IA 50325 – (515) 278-9615
Dennis R Hill Agency – 2190 NW 82nd St # 3 – Clive, IA 50325 – (515) 276-3822
Joni M Givant Agency – 13375 University Ave # 301 – Clive, IA 50325 – (515) 331-4200
Advantage-Clive Insurance – 8421 University Blvd # G – Clive, IA 50325 – (515) 222-4884
For a complete listing of insurance agents in Clive, go to this page.
Upon getting answers to your satisfaction in addition to an acceptable price estimate, most likely you have located an insurance agent that is a good match to provide car insurance coverage.
When might I need an agent?
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions could help you determine whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- Do no-fault laws apply in Iowa?
- Is my vehicle covered for smoke damage?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in Iowa?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It only takes a few minutes and you can get the answers you need.
Additional detailed information can be found at the Iowa Insurance Division website. Iowa consumers can find a variety of consumer forms, view agent and company licensing information, and find out which companies have the most complaints.
Are car insurance companies telling the truth?
Iowa consumers can’t ignore all the ads for cheaper car insurance by Allstate and Progressive. All the ads make the same claim that you can save after switching to their company.
How can each company make almost identical claims?
All the different companies have a preferred profile for the driver that makes them money. For instance, a driver they prefer could be between the ages of 30 and 50, is a homeowner, and has great credit. A driver that hits that “sweet spot” gets the lowest rates and most likely will pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Potential insureds who don’t qualify for the requirements will be quoted higher rates and this can result in business not being written. The ad wording is “customers that switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much. That’s why insurance companies can confidently advertise the savings. This emphasizes why you need to compare as many rates as you can. Because you never know which insurance companies will give you the biggest savings.
Quote more, save more
As you shop your coverage around, it’s very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are many occasions where someone dropped physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your strategy should be to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford.
Cheap car insurance can be sourced online in addition to many Clive insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to get a complete price analysis. Some car insurance companies do not provide online price quotes and these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.