Saving money on Winona auto insurance can seem to be challenging for consumers not familiar with buying insurance online. People have so many choices that it can be a real hassle to compare prices in Winona.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will most likely be able to cut costs considerably using these methods. Locating cheaper coverage in Winona is quite easy. Nevertheless, Minnesota drivers must know how big insurance companies market insurance on the web and apply this information to your search.
How to Compare Winona Auto Insurance Costs
Effectively comparing auto insurance prices can take time and effort if you don’t utilize the easiest way. You can waste hours talking about coverages with insurance agencies in Winona, or you could save time and use the web to get pricing more quickly.
Many insurance companies participate in a marketplace where insurance shoppers send in one quote, and each participating company returns a competitive quote based on that data. This prevents consumers from doing repetitive form submissions for each company you want a rate for.
To get comparison pricing now click here to start a free quote.
The single downside to using this type of form is that consumers can’t choose which carriers to receive prices from. If you would rather choose specific insurance companies to compare prices, we have assembled a list of the cheapest auto insurance companies in Minnesota. Click to view list.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just ensure you are comparing apples-to-apples information on every quote. If you are comparing different liability limits you can’t possibly truly determine the lowest rate in Winona. Quoting even small variations in insurance coverages could mean much higher rates. Just remember that getting more free quotes will enable you to find lower pricing.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you may find discounts to cut the cost considerably. Certain discounts will be applied at the time you complete a quote, but less common discounts must be manually applied before they will apply.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Fewer annual miles can qualify you for discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Safe Driver Discount – Drivers who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less than less cautious drivers.
- Defensive Driver – Taking a driver safety course could cut 5% off your bill and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Anti-theft System – Anti-theft and alarm systems help deter theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Payment Method – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save 5% or more.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes are safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could cut 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Multiple Vehicles – Insuring multiple vehicles with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
- One Accident Forgiven – Some insurance companies allow you one accident without raising rates if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- E-sign – A few companies may give you up to $50 simply for signing online.
A little note about advertised discounts, some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Even though it may seem like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way. Any amount of discount will reduce the cost of coverage.
To choose companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Winona, click here.
Why some people pay less for insurance in Winona
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that come into play when calculating your auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with big savings.
- Younger drivers pay higher rates – Older insureds are more cautious drivers, statistically cause fewer accidents and receive fewer citations. Young drivers are statistically proven to get distracted easily when behind the wheel therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Theft deterrents lower rates – Driving a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention features such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder your vehicle from being stolen.
- The type of vehicle makes a difference – The type of vehicle you drive makes a substantial difference in your rates. The lowest rates are usually for economy passenger models, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Do you know you’re credit rating? – Your credit rating is a big factor in your rate calculation. Drivers with high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers with lower credit scores. If your credit can use some improvement, you could pay less to insure your by improving your credit score.
- Your occupation can affect rates – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Occupations such as judges, business owners and stock brokers have the highest rates because of high stress and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, occupations like actors, students and performers get better rates.
- Liability coverage protects you – The liability section of your policy is the protection if ever a jury decides you are liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It provides legal defense coverage which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
Shop online but buy locally
Some people prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is just fine! The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is you can get lower rates but still work with a licensed agent. And providing support for small agencies is important particularly in Winona.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, your insurance data is sent to companies in Winona who will battle for your insurance coverage. There is no need to even leave your home as quotes are delivered directly to your email. Now that’s easy! Get lower rates AND a local agent.
What type of Winona auto insurance agent is right for you?
When researching local Winona agents, you need to know there are two types of agencies that you can select. Agencies in Winona are classified as either independent or captive.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents are not employed by any specific company so they can insure your vehicles with many different companies and potentially find a lower price. If your agent finds better pricing, the business is moved internally and you won’t have to switch agencies. When comparison shopping, it’s a good idea to contact multiple independent agents for maximum quote selection.Most can insure with smaller companies which can save you money.
Listed below are Winona independent agencies that may be able to provide price quote information.
- Prudential Insurance Co – 62 W 3rd St – Winona, MN 55987 – (507) 452-9304
- Miller-Hartwig Insurance – 414 Ronald Ave – Winona, MN 55987 – (507) 454-3574
- Winona Agency – 174 Center St – Winona, MN 55987 – (507) 452-3366
- Steve Young Agency Inc – 1502 W Service Dr – Winona, MN 55987 – (507) 454-1185
- Ringler Agency Inc – 909 W 5th St – Winona, MN 55987 – (507) 452-2100
Captive agents write business for a single company and examples are State Farm or Allstate. These agents are not able to compare other company’s rates so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captive agents receive extensive training on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage. Some consumers prefer to buy insurance from these agents mainly due to the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
The following is a list of captive insurance agents in Winona who can help you get price quotes.
- Farmers Insurance Group – 50 W 2nd St # 113 – Winona, MN 55987 – (507) 452-5916
- State Farm Insurance – 1733 W Service Dr – Winona, MN 55987 – (507) 452-5553
- American Family Insurance – 151 W 4th St – Winona, MN 55987 – (507) 452-7333
- Allstate Insurance – 103 W Broadway St # 2 – Winona, MN 55987 – (507) 452-7720
To view a full list of captive agencies in Winona, please view this page.
Deciding on an insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Some important questions to ask are:
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- What insurance companies do they work with?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
After getting positive feedback and an affordable coverage quote, chances are good that you have found an insurance agent that meets your needs to insure your vehicles.
Much more information about auto insurance in Minnesota can be read on the Minnesota Department of Commerce website through this link. Consumers can read consumer alerts, find disaster information, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.
Affordable insurance is out there
As you shop your coverage around, it’s not a good idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where someone dropped collision coverage only to find out they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible at the best price.
Drivers leave their current company for a variety of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, delays in responding to claim requests, high prices and even delays in paying claims. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
Cheaper auto insurance can be bought from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Winona agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance companies may not provide the ability to get a quote online and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.