Are you a victim of high-priced auto insurance? Trust us when we tell you you are not the only one feeling buyer’s remorse. Big-name insurance companies like State Farm, Farmers Insurance, GEICO and Allstate constantly bombard you with TV and radio ads and consumers find it hard to see past the corporate glitz and take the time to shop coverage around.
Smart consumers take time to compare prices periodically because prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Even if you think you had the lowest rates a year ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because you’re about to learn how to quote online to find the best coverage while lowering your premiums.
Save big with these nine discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, buy you may qualify for discounts to help bring down the price. Certain discounts will be applied when you quote, but some may not be applied and must be asked about before they will apply. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Drivers Education – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully complete driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking part in a course in driver safety can save you 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Anti-theft System – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Paperless Signup – A few companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks simply for signing digitally online.
- Federal Employees – Employees or retirees of the government may qualify you for a discount depending on your company.
- Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts can save 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Being a homeowner can save you money because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
- College Student – Children who live away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle may qualify for this discount.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it just doesn’t work that way. But any discount will bring down the cost of coverage.
To see a list of providers with the best auto insurance discounts in Maryland, click here to view.
What is the best insurance coverage?
When choosing the right insurance coverage, there is no best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is a little different and your policy should reflect that. For instance, these questions can help discover if your situation might need professional guidance.
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Manchester?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Maryland minimum liability coverage?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
- Are my friends covered when driving my vehicle?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Does my vehicle qualify for pleasure use?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and may give you better protection.
What about using a local agent?
Certain consumers would rather buy from a licensed agent and that is OK! Professional agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help in the event of a claim. The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is you can get the best rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying from local businesses is definitely important in Manchester.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, the quote information is immediately sent to participating agents in Manchester who will compete for your insurance coverage. There is no reason to leave your computer due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox.
Different types of Manchester insurance agents
When searching for a reliable agent, there are two types of insurance agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Manchester are categorized either captive or independent (non-captive). Both types can do a good job, but it’s worth mentioning the differences because it can impact your selection of an agent.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies do not work for one specific company but instead can place your coverage with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. To transfer your coverage to a different company, an independent agent can move your coverage without you having to go to a different agency.
When searching for an agent, it’s a good idea to get quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the best comparison.
Below are independent insurance agencies in Manchester willing to provide competitive price quotes.
Riehl and Knode Insurance – 3107 Main St # A – Manchester, MD 21102 – (410) 239-0720
Passauer Insurance – 3211 Main St – Manchester, MD 21102 – (410) 239-6353
Captive Insurance Agents
These agents write business for a single company such as American Family, State Farm and Allstate. Captives cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. These agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents.
Deciding on an auto insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
Upon receiving acceptable answers to these questions and a low price estimate, chances are good that you have found an insurance agency that is a good match to properly insure your vehicles. Keep in mind you can always cancel coverage at any time so never feel you are locked into a policy with no way to switch.
Read more about Maryland auto insurance
Much more information about auto insurance in Maryland is available on the website for the Maryland Insurance Administration found here. Maryland consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, file complaints about a company, download brochures, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.
Other related articles:
- Top 7 Ways You Can Buy Auto Insurance for Less in Manchester New Hampshire
- Learn How to Pay Less and Get More for Manchester New Hampshire Car Insurance
- Uncover the Secrets to Paying Less for Manchester, NH Car Insurance
Car insurance coverages
Knowing the specifics of a auto insurance policy aids in choosing appropriate coverage for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring. Below you’ll find typical coverages available from auto insurance companies.
Auto liability insurance
This provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people by causing an accident. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. As an example, you may have liability limits of 50/100/50 which means a limit of $50,000 per injured person, a limit of $100,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $50,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Some companies may use a combined single limit or CSL which limits claims to one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability insurance covers things such as attorney fees, bail bonds, loss of income, funeral expenses and medical services. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. Maryland requires drivers to carry at least 30,000/60,000/15,000 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
Collision insurance pays for damage to your vehicle resulting from a collision with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision can pay for things such as colliding with another moving vehicle, rolling your car and colliding with a tree. This coverage can be expensive, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are older. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible to save money on collision insurance.
This will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as falling objects, damage from a tornado or hurricane, vandalism and hitting a deer. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Coverage for medical payments
Med pay and PIP coverage reimburse you for short-term medical expenses for things like rehabilitation expenses, dental work, funeral costs and prosthetic devices. The coverages can be used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
This coverage protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your vehicle.
Since many Maryland drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (Maryland limits are 30/60/15), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Normally your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
A tidy conclusion
We just showed you a lot of ways to shop for auto insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. You may even discover the biggest savings come from a small mutual company. These smaller insurers can often insure niche markets at a lower cost as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
When you buy insurance online, don’t be tempted to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. Too many times, drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to find out that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.