I can’t think of anyone who looks forward to paying for auto insurance, in particular when they are paying too much. Big companies like Geico, 21st Century and Progressive constantly blast consumers with fancy advertisements and it can be hard to see through the cute green geckos and mayhem and do the work needed to find the best deal.
If you have insurance now or are just looking to switch companies, you can use these tips to cut your premiums while maximizing coverage. Finding affordable coverage in Alexandria is quite easy. Virginia drivers just need to learn the most efficient way to shop for auto insurance online.
Free Quotes for Auto Insurance in Alexandria, VA
Getting a lower price on insurance can be relatively painless. All you need to do is take the time comparing rates online with multiple companies. This is very easy and can be done in a couple of different ways.
- Probably the best way consumers can analyze rates is an all-inclusive rate comparison like this one (opens in new window). This type of form saves time by eliminating multiple quote forms for every auto insurance company. Just one form gets you coverage quotes direct from many companies.
- A slightly less efficient method to shop for auto insurance online is to manually visit each company’s website to complete their respective quote request forms. For examples sake, let’s say you want to compare rates from USAA, 21st Century and American Family. You would have to visit each site and enter your information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Alexandria, click here.
- The least efficient way of comparing rate quotes is to drive around to different agent offices. Shopping for auto insurance online makes this process obsolete unless you prefer the professional advice of a local agent. You can, however, comparison shop your insurance online but buy from a local insurance agent.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just ensure you’re using apples-to-apples coverage limits on every quote. If each company quotes different deductibles you can’t possibly determine the lowest rate in Alexandria.
Don’t pay full price with these nine discounts
Companies don’t list every discount very well, so we researched both well-publicized as well as the least known ways to save on auto insurance. If you don’t get every credit possible, you are throwing money away.
- Senior Discount – Older drivers may receive better auto insurance rates.
- Seat Belts Save – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Discount for New Cars – Insuring a new car can cost up to 25% less compared to insuring an older model.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying coverage for more than one vehicle with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By paying your policy upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save 5% or more.
- Federal Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can save as much as 8% with certain companies.
- Sign Early and Save – Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching policies before your current expiration date. It can save you around 10%.
- Life Insurance Discount – Some companies give better rates if you take out life insurance.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Just because it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
To choose companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Alexandria, follow this link.
Local Alexandria agents and auto insurance
Some consumers prefer to talk to a local agent and that is a personal choice. Good agents can point out coverage gaps and help submit paperwork. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is that you can obtain the lowest rates but also keep your business local.
Once you complete this simple form, your insurance coverage information is emailed to participating agents in Alexandria who will compete for your business. There is no need to visit any agencies because quoted prices will be sent to your email. Now that’s easy!
Deciding on an provider shouldn’t rely on just the bottom line cost. Some important questions to ask are:
- How are they compensated?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Ommissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
Do you need an independent or captive insurance agency?
When finding a good Alexandria insurance agent, you must know there are a couple types of agencies to choose from. Agents are classified as either captive or independent (non-captive). While both can do a good job, but it’s worth mentioning the differences since it may influence your agent selection.
This type of agents work for only one company and examples are State Farm, AAA and Liberty Mutual. These agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captive agencies are well schooled on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Shown below are Alexandria captive insurance agents willing to provide comparison quotes.
Allstate Insurance – 8405 Richmond Hwy # E – Alexandria, VA 22309 – (703) 360-4422
State Farm Insurance – 6281 Franconia Rd – Alexandria, VA 22310 – (703) 971-8400
Farmers Insurance Group – 2121 Eisenhower Ave # 200 – Alexandria, VA 22314 – (703) 299-1744
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents are not employed by any specific company so they can insure your vehicles with lots of companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can switch companies and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When comparison shopping, it’s recommended you get quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the best comparison.
Below is a list of independent agents in Alexandria willing to provide price quote information.
Global Insurance – 6167 Fuller Ct – Alexandria, VA 22310 – (703) 922-9700
Senter Insurance ANC – 4810 Beauregard St # 206a – Alexandria, VA 22312 – (703) 642-9637
To view a complete directory of licensed insurance agents in Alexandria, please go to this site.
After receiving positive responses for all questions you ask and a good coverage price, you’ve probably found an insurance agent that is a good match to properly insure your vehicles.
Auto insurance coverage options
Knowing the specifics of a auto insurance policy can be of help when determining the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. These are typical coverages found on most auto insurance policies.
Liability auto insurance – This coverage protects you from damage or injury you incur to other people or property. It protects YOU against claims from other people, and does not provide coverage for damage to your own property or vehicle.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see values of 25/50/25 which stand for a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged propery.
Liability coverage pays for claims like loss of income, court costs, structural damage, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and emergency aid. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying higher limits if possible. Virginia state law requires minimum liability limits of 25,000/50,000/20,000 but it’s recommended drivers buy higher limits.
Collision coverage – Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your vehicle resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers things such as driving through your garage door, hitting a parking meter, colliding with a tree and rolling your car. This coverage can be expensive, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. You can also raise the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision) – Comprehensive insurance covers damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like hitting a deer, theft and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The maximum payout you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers – This provides protection when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your vehicle.
Since many Virginia drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (25/50/20 in Virginia), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked.
Medical expense insurance – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for immediate expenses for EMT expenses, nursing services, dental work, funeral costs and pain medications. They are used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to all vehicle occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Smart shoppers get results
When you buy insurance online, it’s not a good idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are too many instances where someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The aim is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
In this article, we presented a lot of techniques to lower your auto insurance rates. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Consumers could even find that the best price on auto insurance is with the least-expected company. Smaller companies often have lower prices on specific markets as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate, Geico and Progressive.
Virginia auto insurance information
Even more information is available at the Virginia Bureau of Insurance website. Visitors are able to view agent and company licensing information, get help finding coverage, and view a list of available companies.