Purchasing low-cost Scarborough auto insurance online can be challenging for consumers not familiar with comparison shopping online. Because there are so many choices, how can consumers have a chance to compare every company to locate the lowest price?
It is always a good idea to price shop coverage occasionally due to the fact that insurance rates change quite often. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest price two years ago you can probably find a better price now. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you’re about to find out the fastest and easiest way to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
Quick Scarborough Auto Insurance Quotes
To find the best auto insurance prices, there are several ways to get quotes and find the best price. The best way to find the lowest rates consists of shopping online. This is very easy and can be done in a couple of different ways.
- The single most time-saving way consumers can analyze rates is to use a rate comparison form click here to open form in new window. This easy form eliminates the need for boring form submissions for each company. One form will return price quotes from all major companies. It’s definitely the quickest method.
- Another way to get quotes online requires a trip to each company’s website and complete a new quote form. For sake of this example, we’ll assume you want to compare rates from State Farm, Farmers and Travelers. You would have to go to every website to input your insurance information, and that’s why the first method is more popular.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Scarborough, click here.
- The most time-consuming way of comparing rate quotes is driving to different Scarborough agent offices. The ability to buy insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you have a need for the trained guidance of a local Scarborough agent. However, consumers can price shop your coverage online and still use a local agent.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just make absolute certain that you use the exact same coverage limits with every price quote. If you compare different limits and deductibles on each one it’s not possible to make an equal comparison in Scarborough. Quoting even small variations in insurance coverages could mean much higher rates. And when price shopping your coverage, comparing more company’s prices will increase your chances of finding the best price.
Make smart decisions and save
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that come into play when calculating auto insurance rates. Understanding what controls the rates you pay enables informed choices that will entitle you to better auto insurance rates.
- Do you work long hours in a high stress job? – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Jobs such as real estate brokers, business owners and stock brokers tend to have the highest rates attributed to high stress and long work hours. On the other hand, occupations like actors, students and performers receive lower rates.
- Lower miles equals lower premium – The more miles you rack up on your car each year the higher your rate. Almost all companies rate vehicles determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks used primarily for pleasure use qualify for better rates than those used for commuting. Double check that your auto insurance policy is rated on how each vehicle is driven.
- Discounts for married couples – Getting married actually saves money when buying auto insurance. Having a significant other means you’re more mature and it’s proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- A clean driving record saves money – A bad driving record has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Even one citation can boost insurance rates by twenty percent. Careful drivers have lower premiums compared to drivers with tickets. If you have flagrant violations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find they need to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with the DMV in their state in order to keep their license.
Discounts can save BIG
Car insurance companies do not advertise all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find some of the more common and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being deployed with a military unit could mean lower rates.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Passive Restraints – Cars that have air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Theft Prevention System – Anti-theft and alarm systems prevent vehicle theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- No Charge for an Accident – Certain companies will forgive one accident without raising rates if you are claim-free for a set time period.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because you may think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don’t profit that way.
What is the best insurance coverage?
When it comes to buying the best auto insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s needs are different.
For example, these questions can help discover whether you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer’s policy when using it for work?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving my company car?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
What about using a local agent?
A small number of people just want to get advice from a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the great benefits of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find better rates and still choose a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, the coverage information is immediately sent to agents in your area who will battle for your business. You never need to drive around since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. How cool is that?! Get lower rates without the usual hassles of price shopping.
Deciding on an provider shouldn’t rely on just the premium amount. Here are some questions to ask:
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- How long has their agency been in business in Scarborough?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
Independent or Captive: It’s your choice
When looking for a good Scarborough insurance agent, you need to know there are two different agency structures that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Scarborough agents are categorized either independent or captive.
Captive Insurance Agents
This type of agents have only one company to place business with and some examples include AAA, Allstate, State Farm, Farmers Insurance or Liberty Mutual. They generally cannot give you multiple price quotes so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Some consumers prefer to choose to use a captive agent mostly because of the brand legacy and solid financial strength.
The following is a list of captive agencies in Scarborough willing to provide rate quotes.
- Joe Burke Allstate Agency – 153 Us Route 1 – Scarborough, ME 04074 – (207) 885-0436
- State Farm Insurance – 3 Oak Hill Ter – Scarborough, ME 04074 – (207) 883-5867
These agents do not work for one specific company but rather can write business amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage and that require little work on your part.
When comparing rates, it’s recommended you get quotes from multiple independent agents to have the most options to choose from.Many can place coverage with different regional companies who may have lower rates.
The following are Scarborough independent insurance agents who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Joe Burke Allstate Agency – 153 Us Route 1 – Scarborough, ME 04074 – (207) 885-0436
- Ohio Casualty Insurance Co – 51 Us Route 1 – Scarborough, ME 04074 – (207) 885-9585
- Insurance Innovators – 20 Mussey Rd – Scarborough, ME 04074 – (207) 885-4027
- O’Hearn Agency and Assoc – 153 Us Route 1 – Scarborough, ME 04074 – (207) 883-3888
To view a complete directory of licensed insurance agents in Scarborough, please go to this site.
Upon receiving acceptable answers to these questions in addition to an acceptable price estimate, chances are good that you have found an auto insurance agent that will provide auto insurance coverage.
Keep this in mind
When you buy insurance online, it’s not a good idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are a lot of situations where drivers have reduced liability coverage limits and found out when filing a claim that they should have had better coverage. The ultimate goal is to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.
People who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as lack of trust in their agent, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, questionable increases in premium or extreme rates for teen drivers. Whatever your reason, finding a new auto insurance company is less work than it seems.
In this article, we presented many tips how you can shop for auto insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get rates for, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Consumers may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from the least-expected company.
More information about auto insurance
More tips and info about auto insurance can be read at the Maine Bureau of Insurance website. Maine drivers can read industry bulletins, learn about insurance regulations, read state legal mandates and laws, and find out which companies have the most complaints.