Are you intimidated by the number of auto insurance companies in Maryland Heights? You’re not alone. People have so many companies to choose from that it can turn into a real challenge to find better rates.
If you have car insurance now, you should be able to save some money using these techniques. The purpose of this post is to instruct you on how car insurance quotes work and some tips to save money. But Missouri drivers can benefit from knowing the way companies determine prices and apply this information to your search.
Save money by taking advantage of these ten discounts
Car insurance companies don’t always publicize every available discount very well, so we took the time to find some of the best known and the more hidden auto insurance savings.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new car can cost up to 25% less due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- No Charge for an Accident – Certain companies permit an accident before raising your premiums if your claims history is clear prior to the accident.
- Sign Early and Save – Some companies give discounts for signing up prior to your current policy expiring. It can save you around 10%.
- Life Insurance – Companies who offer life insurance give a break if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Bundle and Save – When you have multiple policies with one company you will save up to 20% off your total premium.
- Theft Prevention System – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can avoid accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accident claims.
- Organization Discounts – Participating in a qualifying organization may earn a discount when shopping for auto insurance.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Have your child complete a driver education course if offered at their school.
A little note about advertised discounts, many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So even though it sounds like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you’re out of luck.
To choose companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Maryland Heights, follow this link.
What is the best insurance coverage?
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there really is not a perfect coverage plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if your insurance needs could use an agent’s help.
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Is my vehicle covered for flood damage?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- Does my vehicle need full coverage?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- When should I drop full coverage on my vehicle?
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form.
What about using a local agent?
A small number of people prefer to sit down with an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the great benefits of price shopping on the web is that you can obtain the lowest rates and still choose a local agent.
Upon completion of this quick form, your coverage information is immediately sent to insurance agents in Maryland Heights who will give you bids for your coverage. You never need to drive around due to the fact that quote results will go to the email address you provide. How’s that for easy! You’ll get the best rates AND a local agent.
Selecting an provider needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Some important questions to ask are:
- How long has their agency been in business in Maryland Heights?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Missouri?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
Captive and independent Maryland Heights car insurance agents
When searching for local Maryland Heights agents, there are a couple of types of agencies from which to choose. Maryland Heights agents can either be independent (non-captive) or captive.
Captive agencies can only place business with one company and examples are Liberty Mutual, State Farm, Allstate and AAA. Captives cannot compare other company’s rates so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Captive agents are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers sometimes purchase coverage from captives primarily because of the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Shown below are captive insurance agents in Maryland Heights that can give you price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance – 12642 Dorsett Rd – Maryland Heights, MO 63043 – (314) 469-7575
- State Farm Insurance – 12131 Dorsett Rd # 207 – Maryland Heights, MO 63043 – (314) 739-6210
- American Family Insurance – 11694 Penmar Dr – Maryland Heights, MO 63043 – (314) 291-5660
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents are not required to write business for one company so they can insure your vehicles with many different companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, the business is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency.
When searching for an agent, it’s a good idea to include multiple independent agents to have the most options to choose from. They also have the ability to place coverage with lesser-known insurance companies which can be an advantage.
Listed below are Maryland Heights independent agencies willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Clyde P Klump Agency – 2864 Sugar Tree Ln – Maryland Heights, MO 63043 – (314) 739-0693
- Wells Insurance Group – 2458 Old Dorsett Rd # 220 – Maryland Heights, MO 63043 – (314) 291-1700
For a complete listing of licensed insurance agents in Maryland Heights, please view this page.
Upon receiving positive feedback to your questions as well as a affordable price, most likely you have located an insurance agent that meets your needs to adequately provide auto insurance.
Additional Missouri consumer information
More tips and info about auto insurance is available at the Missouri Department of Insurance website. Missouri drivers can find out which companies have the most complaints, read industry bulletins, and download brochures.
Auto insurance coverage information
Understanding the coverages of auto insurance aids in choosing the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Collision coverages – Collision insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers things such as sideswiping another vehicle, sustaining damage from a pot hole and hitting a parking meter. This coverage can be expensive, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. You can also bump up the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Liability – This will cover damage or injury you incur to a person or their property. This insurance protects YOU from legal claims by others. Liability doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. Your policy might show liability limits of 100/300/100 that means you have a limit of $100,000 per injured person, a total of $300,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $100,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage protects against claims like loss of income, pain and suffering, funeral expenses and attorney fees. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but you should buy as large an amount as possible. Missouri requires minimum liability limits of 25,000/50,000/10,000 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) – This provides protection from other motorists when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your vehicle.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (25/50/10 in Missouri), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for bills for things like EMT expenses, surgery and rehabilitation expenses. They are often utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive insurance – This coverage will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like hail damage, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, damage from getting keyed and hitting a deer. The highest amount your auto insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
A tidy conclusion
We’ve covered a lot of ways to shop for auto insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the best price on auto insurance is with some of the lesser-known companies.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s very important that you do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many instances, an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to regret they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The aim is to buy enough coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.
Insureds change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including not issuing a premium refund, lack of trust in their agent, delays in responding to claim requests and even policy cancellation. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding the right auto insurance provider can be pretty painless.