People not familiar with comparing insurance rates online will discover finding affordable Midland auto insurance is not as easy as it seems.
Where Can I Get Cheap Midland Auto Insurance?
To find the best auto insurance prices, there are several ways to get quotes and find the best price. The recommended way to compare insurance prices consists of shopping online. This can be accomplished in several different ways.
- One of the best ways to get quotes is an all-inclusive rate comparison like this one (opens in new window). This easy form saves time by eliminating a different quote to each individual auto insurance company. In just a few minutes this one form gets rate comparisons from multiple low-cost companies. Recommended for those who want to invest the least amount of time.
- A different way to shop for auto insurance online is to manually visit each company’s website to complete their respective quote request forms. For examples sake, let’s assume you want comparison quotes from Progressive, Liberty Mutual and American Family. To get rate quotes you would need to spend time on each company’s site to enter your coverage information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Midland, click here.
- The least efficient way to compare rates is driving to and from local insurance agencies. Buying insurance online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you have a need for the professional guidance that only a license agent can provide. Drivers can price shop online but buy from a local insurance agent. We’ll cover that shortly.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just ensure you are comparing the exact same coverage information for every company. If you enter different deductibles it’s not possible to determine the lowest rate in Midland. Quoting even small variations in insurance coverages can result in a big premium difference. Just keep in mind that having more price comparisons gives you a better chance of getting the best offered rates.
Lower rates by qualifying for these ten discounts
Companies don’t always advertise all available discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so here is a list some of the best known and also the lesser-known auto insurance savings.
- Drivers Education – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to complete a driver education course if it’s offered in school.
- Passive Restraints – Factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may earn rate discounts of more than 20%.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of paying each month you could save up to 5%.
- Student in College – Children who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Theft Prevention System – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems can help prevent theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Government Employees – Employees or retirees of the government can earn a discount up to 10% with certain companies.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Club Memberships – Affiliation with certain professional organizations may earn a discount when buying auto insurance.
- Homeowners Discount – Being a homeowner can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Senior Citizens – Older drivers may receive reduced rates.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when the math indicates all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky.
To see a list of insurance companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Midland, click this link.
But I prefer to buy car insurance from an agent
A small number of people prefer to sit down with an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is that you can obtain better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is submitted to local insurance agents who will compete for your coverage. You don’t have to visit any agencies since price quotes are sent immediately to your email address. Get lower rates and an insurance agent to talk to.
Deciding on an provider should depend on more than just a low price. These are valid questions to ask:
- What insurance companies do they work with?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
Compare rates from both independent and captive insurance agents
When searching for a good insurance agency, you must know there are a couple types of agencies that you can select. Insurance agencies in Midland can either be independent or captive.
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agencies have only one company to place business with and some examples include American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captive agents are trained well on the products they sell which can be an advantage. Consumers frequently buy insurance from these agents partially due to high brand loyalty and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Shown below are captive agencies in Midland that are able to give price quotes.
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 240 W Main St – Midland, MI 48640 – (989) 631-5801
- State Farm Insurance – 5108 Eastman Ave # 2 – Midland, MI 48640 – (989) 631-5512
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents are not required to write business for one company but instead can place your coverage with multiple insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To move your coverage to a new company, the business is moved internally and that require little work on your part.
When shopping rates, we recommend you get quotes from at least one independent agent to get the best comparison. Many write coverage with different regional companies which may provide better rates.
Shown below is a short list of independent agents in Midland willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Longuski Agency – 444 E Bannerstone Ct – Midland, MI 48640 – (989) 832-6290
- Mci Insurance – 5103 Eastman Ave # 111 – Midland, MI 48640 – (989) 835-8800
- Dave Tuskey Agency – 5108 Eastman Ave # 3 – Midland, MI 48640 – (989) 832-0020
- Andrews Insurance – 203 Dartmouth Dr – Midland, MI 48640 – (989) 631-6543
- Deford Agency Inc – 1022 S Saginaw Rd – Midland, MI 48640 – (989) 832-7700
For a complete listing of insurance agents in Midland, simply jump to this page.
Upon receiving positive responses and an acceptable price quote, it’s possible that you found an auto insurance agent that will service your policy. But keep in mind once you purchase a policy you can cancel a policy whenever you wish so don’t assume you’re contractually obligated to any specific agency for any length of time.
Your coverage should be tailored to you
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no “best” method to buy coverage. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
These are some specific questions can aid in determining whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- Is Michigan a no-fault state?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- Do I need higher deductibles?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Auto insurance coverage information
Learning about specific coverages of auto insurance aids in choosing the best coverages and proper limits and deductibles. The coverage terms in a policy can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement.
Medical expense coverage – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance reimburse you for expenses for nursing services, pain medications and X-ray expenses. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. Coverage applies to you and your occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not an option in every state and may carry a deductible
Collision – This coverage will pay to fix damage to your vehicle caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against things like colliding with a tree, backing into a parked car and hitting a mailbox. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your vehicle.
Since a lot of drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (which is 20/40/10), their limits can quickly be used up. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important.
Comprehensive protection – This coverage covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You need to pay your deductible first and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims like damage from flooding, hitting a bird and fire damage. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Liability – This coverage protects you from injuries or damage you cause to other people or property. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see values of 100/300/100 that means you have a $100,000 limit per person for injuries, $300,000 for the entire accident, and $100,000 of coverage for damaged propery.
Liability coverage protects against claims such as bail bonds, funeral expenses and medical services. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but buy higher limits if possible. Michigan requires minimum liability limits of 20,000/40,000/10,000 but you should consider buying higher limits.
Quote often and quote early
We’ve covered many ways to compare auto insurance prices online. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Drivers may discover the best prices are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
The cheapest auto insurance can be found on the web and with local Midland insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
Insureds change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as delays in paying claims, policy non-renewal, not issuing a premium refund or questionable increases in premium. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching companies is not as hard as you think.
Additional consumer information websites
More detailed Michigan auto insurance information is located at the Michigan Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation website. Visitors are able to discover disciplinary actions, read consumer alerts, and view a list of available companies.