Are you intimidated by the dozens of car insurance companies in your area? There are so many choices that it can quickly become more work than you anticipated to find lower rates. If you live there, you know that Weston is a great place to live, but trying to pay high car insurance rates makes it impossible to buy full coverage.
It’s a good habit to compare rates at least once a year since prices are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest price a year ago a different company probably has better rates today. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the easiest way to eliminate unnecessary coverages and save money.
The fastest way that we advise to compare policy rates is to know the fact car insurance companies pay for the opportunity to compare their rates. All consumers are required to do is give the companies some data including your general credit rating, if you lease or own, if you went to college, and marital status. Your details is instantly provided to multiple companies and they return rate quotes with very little delay.
To compare multiple company rates now, click here and enter your zip code.
Find hidden discounts on Weston car insurance
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you might be missing out on some discounts that you may not even know about. A few discounts will be applied at quote time, but occassionally some discounts must be manually applied in order for you to get them. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- Waiver for an Accident – This one is not really a discount per se, but some companies like Progressive, Allstate, and GEICO may permit one accident without getting socked with a rate hike as long as you don’t have any claims for a set time period.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Insuring multiple cars or trucks on one policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles have fewer accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a deployed family member could be rewarded with lower prices.
- Anti-theft System – Cars and trucks equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen with less frequency and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- No Accidents – Claim-free drivers are rewarded with significantly better rates on when compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Payment Method – If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Government Employees – Simply working for the federal government may qualify for a discount when you with some car insurance companies.
- Distant College Student Discount – Kids who live away from home to go to college and leave their car at home may qualify for this discount.
- Memberships – Having an affiliation with a qualifying organization can get you a small discount on your policy.
It’s important to understand that most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Despite the fact that it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
Popular car insurance companies and their offered discounts are outlined below.
- State Farm may include discounts for student away at school, multiple policy, accident-free, Steer Clear safe driver discount, safe vehicle, and good student.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts including newly retired, preferred payment discount, new vehicle discount, hybrid vehicle, new move discount, newly married, and new graduate.
- American Family has discounts for early bird, good driver, TimeAway discount, bundled insurance, defensive driver, Steer into Savings, and mySafetyValet.
- Progressive may offer discounts for online signing, multi-vehicle, homeowner, online quote discount, multi-policy, and continuous coverage.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include homeowner, pay in full, mature driver, bundle discounts, youthful driver, and electronic funds transfer.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has savings for multi-policy, air bags, group or association, anti-theft, multiple vehicles, and anti-lock brakes.
- SAFECO includes discounts for accident prevention training, drive less, teen safe driver, bundle discounts, multi-car, safe driver, and anti-theft.
It’s a good idea to ask each company which discounts you qualify for. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered in Weston. To view car insurance companies that offer some of these discounts in Weston, click here.
Shop online but buy locally
A lot of people still prefer to buy from a local agent and that can be a great decision An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get cheap rate quotes and still have a local agent.
Upon completion of this simple form, your insurance coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Weston that can provide for your car insurance coverage. You won’t even need to leave your computer since rate quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. Get lower rates AND an agent nearby. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote from a specific car insurance provider, don’t hesitate to navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
Choosing an company should include more criteria than just a cheap price. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
If you are searching for a local Weston insurance agent, you need to know there are two types of agencies and how they can write your policy. Insurance agencies in Weston can be classified as either independent (non-captive) or captive.
Captive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be captive can only place business with one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. Captives cannot give you multiple price quotes so they really need to provide good service. Captive agencies receive a lot of sales training on their company’s products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Consumers often buy from the same agent for years partially due to the prominent brand name and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent can quote rates with many companies so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies and find the cheapest car insurance rates. If they find a lower price, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don’t have to find a new agent. When comparing rates, we recommend you compare prices from at least one independent agent to get the best comparison. Most can insure with small regional insurance companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Listed below are Weston independent agents willing to provide price quotes.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-108.jpg" alt="Connecticut car insurance quote”/>
- Weston Westport Insurance – 190 Weston Rd – Weston, CT 06883 – (203) 226-9921
For more car insurance agents in Weston, click for a directory of Weston Connecticut insurance agencies.
After talking to the agent and getting acceptable answers to these questions and an acceptable price quote, you may have just found an auto insurance agent that meets your needs to provide car insurance coverage.
There’s no such thing as the perfect car insurance policy
When choosing the right insurance coverage, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if your situation may require specific advice.
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
More detailed Connecticut car insurance information is available at the Connecticut Insurance Department website. Consumers can download brochures, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, find disaster information, and find out which companies have the most complaints.
The articles below may also help you learn more about car insurance in Weston
- 9 Tips to Save on Auto Insurance in Weston, WV
- Compare Car Insurance Rates From Weston Insurance Agents
Are you falling for claims of savings?
Big name companies like State Farm, GEICO and Progressive constantly bombard you with television, radio, and online ads. They all seem to make an identical promise that drivers can save some big amount if you change your coverage to them. How is it plausible that every one can cost less than your current company? Here is the trick they use.
Car insurance companies offer their best rates for the type of driver that earns them the highest profit. An example of a desirable insured could possibly be a female over age 40, insures multiple vehicles, and drives a vehicle with a low ISO rating. A customer who fits those characteristics may get the lowest premium rates in Weston and as a result will probably pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Consumers who are not a match for this ideal profile may receive higher premiums which results in business not being written. The trick is to say “drivers who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much. That is how companies can make those claims. Each company has different criteria, so you absolutely need to do a rate comparison at every renewal. It’s just too difficult to predict which car insurance company will give you the biggest savings.
Auto insurance coverages
Having a good grasp of a car insurance policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need for your vehicles. Car insurance terms can be impossible to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Collision coverages – Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your vehicle caused by collision with an object or car. You have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers things such as driving through your garage door, colliding with a tree and hitting a mailbox. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to bump up the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers – This protects you and your vehicle when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include hospital bills for your injuries as well as damage to your vehicle.
Since many Connecticut drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (20/40/10 in Connecticut), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea.
Auto liability insurance – This coverage protects you from damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people that is your fault. This coverage protects you against claims from other people. It does not cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see values of 50/100/50 which stand for $50,000 bodily injury coverage, $100,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $50,000.
Liability insurance covers things such as loss of income, structural damage, court costs, legal defense fees and repair costs for stationary objects. How much coverage you buy is your choice, but you should buy higher limits if possible. Connecticut state law requires minimum liability limits of 20,000/40,000/10,000 but it’s recommended drivers buy higher limits.
Medical expense insurance – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for immediate expenses for funeral costs, dental work, chiropractic care and X-ray expenses. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover you and your occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive (Other than Collision) – This pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as damage from flooding, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, hitting a bird and falling objects. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Persistent drivers can save
Consumers who switch companies do it for many reasons like poor customer service, delays in responding to claim requests, questionable increases in premium and even lack of trust in their agent. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a new car insurance company can be pretty painless.
We just covered some good ideas how to lower your car insurance prices. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding . Drivers may discover the best prices are with a lesser-known regional company.
Affordable car insurance is definitely available from both online companies in addition to many Weston insurance agents, so you need to with both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some companies may not offer rate quotes online and these small, regional companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agencies.