No one in their right mind looks forward to buying car insurance, particularly when they are paying too much.
Insurance companies such as State Farm, Progressive and GEICO all claim big savings, bombarding you with ads and it is challenging if not impossible to ignore the propoganda and find the best price available.
It is always a good idea to check car insurance prices at least once a year since insurance rates are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Even if you got the lowest price a year ago the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. You can find a lot of wrong information about car insurance on the internet, so by reading this article, you’re going to learn some excellent ideas to reduce your car insurance bill.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you stand a good chance to be able to save some money using these tips. Finding affordable coverage in Duncan is not that difficult. But Oklahoma vehicle owners must learn the way insurance companies compete online and apply this information to your search.
Policy discounts you shouldn’t miss
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always publicize every available discount very well, so here is a list both well-publicized and also the lesser-known savings tricks you should be using.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying insurance for multiple vehicles on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Have your child enroll in driver’s education if offered at their school.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – By paying your policy upfront rather than paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
- Government Employees – Active or retired federal employment can earn a discount up to 10% with a few car insurance companies.
- Early Signing – Some companies give discounts for signing up before your current policy expires. This can save 10% or more.
- Memberships – Affiliation with a civic or occupational organization may earn a discount when buying car insurance.
- Life Insurance Discount – Larger companies have a break if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Own a Home – Owning a home in Duncan can help you save on car insurance because of the fact that having a home shows financial diligence.
It’s important to note that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To see a list of providers with discount car insurance rates in Oklahoma, click this link.
Insurance agents can help
When it comes to choosing the best car insurance coverage, there is no “best” method to buy coverage. Each situation is unique and your policy should reflect that. Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine whether or not you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Oklahoma?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- Should I buy only the required Oklahoma minimum liability coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
Don’t listen to company ads
Car insurance providers like State Farm and Allstate consistently run ads on TV and radio. They all say the same thing that you can save if you change to their company. How can each company claim to save you money? This is how they do it.
Different companies are able to cherry pick for the type of customer that earns them a profit. For example, a profitable customer might be profiled as between 25 and 40, has no tickets, and has great credit. Any new insured that hits that “sweet spot” gets the lowest rates and most likely will save a lot of money.
Potential customers who don’t meet this ideal profile will be quoted higher premiums which leads to business going elsewhere. The ad wording is “drivers who switch” not “people who quote” save that much. This is how insurance companies can advertise the savings. This emphasizes why you need to get as many comparisons as possible. It’s just too difficult to predict which insurance companies will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Additional consumer information websites
Even more information is located at the Oklahoma Insurance Department website. Oklahoma drivers can get help finding coverage, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, view agent and company licensing information, and find out industry alerts.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
Budget-conscious car insurance is possible online in addition to many Duncan insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance companies do not provide the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, make sure you don’t sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many cases where an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.