Finding low-cost Blair car insurance on the web can seem to be somewhat difficult for consumers new to shopping for insurance online. With a ridiculous number of online companies, how can Blair drivers even start to compare the different rates to find the best pricing?
Verify you’re getting all your discounts
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but you may find discounts to reduce the price significantly. Most are applied at the time of purchase, but some must be specifically requested prior to getting the savings.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active duty in the military could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- No Claims – Good drivers with no accidents pay much less as compared to frequent claim filers.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Low mileage vehicles could be rewarded with a substantially lower rate.
- Resident Student – Kids in college who live away from home and do not have a car may be able to be covered for less.
- Senior Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you may be able to get a small decrease in premiums.
- Driver Safety – Taking part in a course teaching defensive driving skills could save 5% or more if your company offers it.
- Safe Driver Discount – Drivers who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more than their less cautious counterparts.
- Sign Online – A handful of insurance companies may give you up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up digitally online.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Insuring multiple cars or trucks with the same company qualifies for this discount.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles with anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
Consumers should know that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So when it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, it just doesn’t work that way. But any discount will bring down the amount you have to pay.
To see a list of providers with the best car insurance discounts in Nebraska, click here to view.
Learn How to Lower your Rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the elements that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to lower car insurance prices.
- Equipment add-ons that lower car insurance rates – Purchasing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention devices such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all aid in stopping your car from being stolen.
- With age comes lower rates – Older insureds are viewed as being more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents and are safer drivers. Teen drivers have a tendency to be careless and easily distracted when behind the wheel and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
- Rates may be higher depending on your occupation – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Occupations like judges, business owners and stock brokers have the highest rates attributed to high stress and long work days. On the other hand, jobs such as pilots, students and performers get better rates.
- Allowing your policy to lapse raises rates – Driving without insurance can get your license suspended and you will pay a penalty because you let your coverage have a gap. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage may earn you a license revocation or jail time.You may need to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Nebraska department of motor vehicles.
- Where you live can impact rates – Living in less populated areas is a positive aspect when it comes to car insurance. Urban drivers have more traffic problems and a longer drive to work. Fewer drivers means reduced accidents.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Being married can get you a discount on your car insurance policy. Having a significant other usually means you are more mature and it’s statistically proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Don’t sacrifice liability coverage – Liability insurance is the protection in the event that a court rules you are at fault for personal injury or accident damage. Liability provides you with a defense in court starting from day one. Liability is cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- Men are more aggressive – Statistics have proven that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. That doesn’t necessarily mean that men are worse drivers. They both tend to get into accidents at a similar rate, but men cause more damage. Men also get more serious tickets like DUI and reckless driving. Teenage male drivers tend to get in the most accidents and therefore have the most expensive car insurance rates.
When should I talk to an agent?
When buying the best car insurance coverage, there isn’t really a perfect coverage plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
- Does my vehicle qualify for pleasure use?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
To learn more about car insurance in Nebraska
Additional car insurance information is located on the Nebraska Department of Insurance website located here. Consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, view agent and company licensing information, find a variety of consumer forms, and read enforcement actions against agents and companies.
Smart consumers save more
Cost effective car insurance can be bought from both online companies and with local Blair insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best rate selection. A few companies do not offer online quoting and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
When you buy insurance online, make sure you don’t buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many instances, someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits and discovered at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your aim should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
Consumers who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including policy cancellation, questionable increases in premium, delays in responding to claim requests or being labeled a high risk driver. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding the right car insurance provider is actually quite simple.