Have you fallen victim to an overpriced car insurance policy? Believe me, many Auburn consumers feel financially strained by their car insurance policy. Having so many car insurance companies to choose from, it is very difficult to pick the most cost effective insurer.
This information will help educate you on the best way to quote coverages and some tips to save money. If you currently have car insurance, you stand a good chance to be able to lower your premiums substantially using this information. Washington consumers only need an understanding of the most effective way to buy car insurance online.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, buy you may qualify for discounts that you may not know about. A few discounts will automatically apply when you get a quote, but a few must be inquired about before they will apply. If you don’t get every credit you qualify for, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Early Switch Discount – Select companies give a discount for switching to them before your current policy expires. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Drive Safe and Save – Safe drivers may save up to 50% more than drivers with accidents.
- Homeowners Discount – Simply owning a home can help you save on car insurance because of the fact that having a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a deployed family member could mean lower rates.
- Government Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% with certain companies.
- Student in College – Kids in college who are attending college and don’t have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you could get a discount of up to 20% off your total premium.
- Accident Free – Good drivers with no accidents pay much less when compared to frequent claim filers.
It’s important to note that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way. Any qualifying discounts will reduce your premiums.
To see a list of companies with discount car insurance rates in Auburn, click here to view.
Your personal situation dictates your coverage
When buying proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a “perfect” insurance plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs so your insurance should reflect that For example, these questions can help discover whether you will benefit from professional help.
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Washington?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
- Is business property covered if stolen from my car?
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it’s worth?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in Washington?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving my company car?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Are insurance agents a thing of the past?
A small number of people would prefer to visit with an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Insurance agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help you file claims. The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is you may find the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting local agencies is definitely important in Auburn.
Once you complete this quick form, the coverage information is sent to participating agents in Auburn who will battle for your business. You never need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent to your email. How cool is that?!
Compare rates from both independent and captive insurance agents
When finding a reputable insurance agent or broker, you need to know there are two different types of agents to choose from. Agents are either independent or captive. Both types can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s important to know the difference between them because it can influence your agent selection.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agencies do not work for one specific company so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When comparison shopping, we recommend you include price quotes from several independent insurance agents for the best price selection.
Below is a list of independent agents in Auburn that are able to give competitive price quotes.
Ed Nelson Insurance – 2806 Auburn Way N # B – Auburn, WA 98002 – (253) 833-3200
HBT Insurance – 201 Auburn Way N # C – Auburn, WA 98002 – (253) 833-5140
Captive insurance agents write business for a single company and examples are Allstate, AAA, Liberty Mutual and State Farm. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they have to upsell other benefits. These agents are very knowledgeable in insurance sales which helps them compete with independent agents.
Below is a list of captive insurance agencies in Auburn willing to provide comparison quotes.
Allstate Insurance – 1408 Lake Tapps Pkwy E # E102 – Auburn, WA 98092 – (253) 833-5215
Farmers Insurance Group – 34 37th St NE # A – Auburn, WA 98002 – (253) 351-2990
For a complete listing of captive agents in Auburn, please click here.
Picking a car insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just the bottom line cost. Here are some questions to ask:
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
Upon getting positive responses to any questions you have and an acceptable price quote, it’s possible that you found an insurance agency that meets your needs to properly insure your vehicles.
Misconceptions in car insurance advertisements
Consumers get pounded daily by advertisements for the lowest price auto insurance by Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. They all seem to make the same claim of big savings if you change to their company.
But how can every company make the same claim? It’s all in the numbers.
Different companies have a preferred profile for the type of customer that earns them a profit. For instance, a preferred risk could possibly be over the age of 40, a clean driving record, and drives newer vehicles. Any driver who meets those qualifications is entitled to the best price and is almost guaranteed to save quite a bit of money when switching.
Drivers who don’t qualify for the requirements will be quoted higher prices and this can result in business going elsewhere. The ad wording is “people who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much money. That’s the way companies can claim big savings.
This emphasizes why you need to compare as many rates as you can. Because you never know which car insurance company will fit your personal profile best.
For more information
More information can be found on the website for the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner located here. Washington drivers can get help finding coverage, read consumer alerts, and learn about specific coverages.
The articles below may also help you learn more about car insurance in Auburn
Affordable insurance is out there
The cheapest car insurance is definitely available online and also from your neighborhood Auburn agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who may not provide the ability to get a quote online and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
We covered many tips how you can save on car insurance. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. Consumers may even find the lowest priced car insurance comes from a smaller regional carrier. These companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.