Are you tired of robbing Peter to pay Paul each month for car insurance? You are in the same boat as millions of other consumers. You have so many insurers to buy insurance from, and though it is a good thing to have a selection, too many choices makes it more difficult to compare rates and cut insurance costs.
How to Buy Baton Rouge Car Insurance Online
Effectively comparing car insurance prices can be a lot of work if you don’t utilize the best way to get rate quotes. You can waste a few hours (or days) talking about coverages with insurance agencies in Baton Rouge, or you can utilize the web to get the quickest rates.
Many popular insurance companies belong to an insurance system that allows shoppers to submit one quote, and at least one company provides a quote determined by their information. This saves time by eliminating form submissions for every car insurance company. To fill out one form to compare multiple rates now click to open in new window.
One minor caviat to pricing coverage this way is that consumers can’t choose which providers you want to price. So if you prefer to pick specific providers to compare, we have a listing of car insurance companies in Louisiana. View list of Louisiana insurance companies.
It’s up to you which method you use, but ensure you are comparing apples-to-apples coverage information for every quote you compare. If you use different limits and deductibles on each one it’s impossible to find the best deal in Baton Rouge.
Why you might pay higher rates in Baton Rouge
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that help determine your car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
- Pay less if you’re married – Having a wife or husband actually saves money on your policy. Having a spouse translates into being more responsible and it’s statistically proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Your location affects your rates – Being located in small towns and rural areas is a positive aspect when talking about car insurance. Fewer people means fewer accidents. Drivers who live in large Louisiana cities have more traffic problems and longer commutes to work. More time commuting means more change of being in an accident.
- More claims means more premium – If you tend to file frequent claims, you can definitely plan on either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Insurance companies in Louisiana provide discounts to policyholders who file claims infrequently. Auto insurance is intended for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Traffic citations inflate rates – Whether or not you get tickets has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Good drivers get better rates than bad drivers. Even a single citation can increase rates forty percent or more. Drivers with serious tickets such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions are required to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to continue driving.
- More miles equals more premium – The more you drive each year the higher your rate. Most insurance companies apply a rate based on their usage. Autos used primarily for pleasure use get more affordable rates compared to those used for work or business. Double check that your car insurance policy is showing the correct driver usage.
- Poor credit can mean higher rates – A driver’s credit score is a big factor in your rate calculation. Drivers who have good credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers with lower ratings. Therefore, if your credit is low, you could save money insuring your by improving your rating.
Don’t miss these discounts
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but you can get discounts that you may not know about. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of quoting, but a few need to be inquired about in order for you to get them. If you’re not getting every credit available, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems prevent accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Drive Less and Save – Low mileage vehicles can earn better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can receive discounts of more than 20%.
- 55 and Retired – Mature drivers may qualify for reduced rates.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can actually save on your bill.
- Bundle and Save – When you combine your home and auto insurance with one insurance company you may earn up to 20% off your total premium.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a family member in the military could mean lower rates.
A little note about advertised discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Just because you may think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, car insurance companies aren’t that generous. But all discounts will cut the amount you have to pay.
When might I need the advice of an agent?
When buying adequate coverage, there is no one size fits all plan. Everyone’s needs are different so this has to be addressed. For instance, these questions may help you determine whether you could use an agent’s help.
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you may need to chat with an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
Neighborhood insurance agents
A small number of people would prefer to buy from a local agent and that is a personal choice. Educated insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and help in the event of a claim. The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is you can get the lowest rates but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting local insurance agencies is important especially in Baton Rouge.
After filling out this short form, your information is sent to local insurance agents in Baton Rouge who will return price quotes for your coverage. There is no reason to visit any agencies since price quotes are sent directly to your email. How cool is that?!
Captive or Independent: There is a difference
If you’re trying to find a reliable agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agents from which to choose. Baton Rouge agents are classified as either independent (non-captive) or captive. Both types can do a good job, but it’s worth learning how they are different because it can influence the selection process.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agencies are not employed by any specific company but rather can write business with lots of companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the business is moved internally and that require little work on your part. When comparison shopping, it’s recommended you include price quotes from multiple independent agents for maximum quote selection.
Listed below are independent agencies in Baton Rouge that can give you competitive price quotes.
Dallas Insurance Svc Inc – 707 Rapides St – Baton Rouge, LA 70806 – (225) 927-6917
American National Insurance Co – 9766 Jefferson Hwy # 202 – Baton Rouge, LA 70809 – (225) 293-6565
Direct General Ins Agency – 5652 Government St – Baton Rouge, LA 70806 – (225) 924-6800
Besselman Agency – 5800 One Perkins Place Dr # 8b – Baton Rouge, LA 70808 – (225) 767-0334
Latiolais’ Agency – 9422 Common St # 7 – Baton Rouge, LA 70809 – (225) 928-3603
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive insurance agents are contracted to one company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so always compare other rates. Captive agencies receive extensive training in insurance sales which helps them compete with independent agents.
Listed below is a list of captive insurance agents in Baton Rouge who can help you get comparison quotes.
Louisiana Farm Bureau Ins Co – 9516 Airline Hwy – Baton Rouge, LA 70815 – (225) 922-6200
Liberty Mutual Insurance – 4000 S Sherwood Forest Bl #200 – Baton Rouge, LA 70816 – (225) 292-8808
Allstate Insurance – 12812 Coursey Blvd # B1 – Baton Rouge, LA 70816 – (225) 752-1772
Farmers Insurance Group – 11832 Newcastle Ave – Baton Rouge, LA 70816 – (225) 293-7505
State Farm Insurance – 13480 Coursey Blvd – Baton Rouge, LA 70816 – (225) 752-1280
Shelter Insurance – 1635 Cottondale Dr – Baton Rouge, LA 70815 – (225) 924-7977
For a complete listing of car insurance agents in Baton Rouge, go to this page.
Deciding on an insurance agency shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. These questions are important to ask:
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- How long has their agency been open in Baton Rouge?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
Upon getting satisfactory answers as well as a affordable price, you’ve probably found an insurance agent that meets your needs to provide car insurance coverage.
More quotes mean more savings
As you restructure your insurance plan, you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many instances, someone sacrificed liability coverage limits only to regret at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your focus should be to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
We just covered some good ideas how you can shop for car insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more companies you get rates for, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. You may be surprised to find that the lowest rates come from a smaller regional carrier. Smaller companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than their larger competitors like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
For more Louisiana car insurance information
Much more information about car insurance in Louisiana can be found on the website for the Louisiana Department of Insurance through this link. Consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, read industry bulletins, and read consumer alerts.